Extended project ideas for English Literature?

Watch
YumyumHolmes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So I'll be starting my extended project for next year and I'm a bit stuck for ideas. I wish to study Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic at Cambridge University (that's my top choice). I'm a big fan of The Hobbit and LOTR and I've recently read The Prose Edda, an I saw a lot of links between the two worlds. I now started reading the poetic diction and I was wondering if a comparison between LOTR and Edda would be a good idea for a project. If so, what would be the title?

I've also been writing my own fantasy/adventure novel (which is at this point approx. 67000 words) and one of my English teachers said that I could finish that for my extended project. Has anyone done anything similar?

What do you think of these ideas? Or does anyone have any different ideas?
roarchika
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by YumyumHolmes)
So I'll be starting my extended project for next year and I'm a bit stuck for ideas. I wish to study Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic at Cambridge University (that's my top choice). I'm a big fan of The Hobbit and LOTR and I've recently read The Prose Edda, an I saw a lot of links between the two worlds. I now started reading the poetic diction and I was wondering if a comparison between LOTR and Edda would be a good idea for a project. If so, what would be the title?

I've also been writing my own fantasy/adventure novel (which is at this point approx. 67000 words) and one of my English teachers said that I could finish that for my extended project. Has anyone done anything similar?

What do you think of these ideas? Or does anyone have any different ideas?
I really like both of your ideas! And wow, okay, 67k is amazing - you could easily finish that and then write a 1000 word piece about it as your EPQ and that way you wouldn't have to do extra work. Writing a novel is definitely not something you see on every personal statement! Personally I know nobody else who has done this, but I have definitely read about someone who finished a 25k novella for their EPQ? So it's definitely a possibility. If you wanted to, of course, you could do a different 5k word essay and then put both on your application. For the LOTR/Edda comparison - honestly, you could phrase it as something like "To What Extent Do Similarities Exist in LOTR and Edda" and you'd probably be fine? You could always do something comparing Norse/Celtic culture, too, if you want to show Cambridge at interview that you've had an interest in the subject for a long time!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.65%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
20.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.95%

Watched Threads