The Student Room Group

Extended project ideas for English Literature?

So I'll be starting my extended project for next year and I'm a bit stuck for ideas. I wish to study Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic at Cambridge University (that's my top choice). I'm a big fan of The Hobbit and LOTR and I've recently read The Prose Edda, an I saw a lot of links between the two worlds. I now started reading the poetic diction and I was wondering if a comparison between LOTR and Edda would be a good idea for a project. If so, what would be the title?

I've also been writing my own fantasy/adventure novel (which is at this point approx. 67000 words) and one of my English teachers said that I could finish that for my extended project. Has anyone done anything similar?

What do you think of these ideas? Or does anyone have any different ideas?
Original post by YumyumHolmes
So I'll be starting my extended project for next year and I'm a bit stuck for ideas. I wish to study Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic at Cambridge University (that's my top choice). I'm a big fan of The Hobbit and LOTR and I've recently read The Prose Edda, an I saw a lot of links between the two worlds. I now started reading the poetic diction and I was wondering if a comparison between LOTR and Edda would be a good idea for a project. If so, what would be the title?

I've also been writing my own fantasy/adventure novel (which is at this point approx. 67000 words) and one of my English teachers said that I could finish that for my extended project. Has anyone done anything similar?

What do you think of these ideas? Or does anyone have any different ideas?

I really like both of your ideas! And wow, okay, 67k is amazing - you could easily finish that and then write a 1000 word piece about it as your EPQ and that way you wouldn't have to do extra work. Writing a novel is definitely not something you see on every personal statement! Personally I know nobody else who has done this, but I have definitely read about someone who finished a 25k novella for their EPQ? So it's definitely a possibility. If you wanted to, of course, you could do a different 5k word essay and then put both on your application. For the LOTR/Edda comparison - honestly, you could phrase it as something like "To What Extent Do Similarities Exist in LOTR and Edda" and you'd probably be fine? You could always do something comparing Norse/Celtic culture, too, if you want to show Cambridge at interview that you've had an interest in the subject for a long time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending