The Student Room Group

Do employers legally have to pay you for the hours you've done?

Scroll to see replies

i know everyone is being mean and saying suck it up, but to be fair if your not fit , then your not fit, and maybe OP would be much better in a different job sector. good luck OP
Original post by Vossy1996
Got a job at JD Wetherspoons, been there for 2 days, and well... I'm already looking for a new job. It literally caused physical pain, blisters on my fingers due to carrying out extremely hot plates and my body is aching.

Anyway, they pay weekly, I should effectively get paid for two inductions (10 hours in total) + 19 hours of actual work that I done. I'm just slightly concerned that if I quit, they'll choose to take the pay away from me. Stupid question and I know they probably can't, but just wanted to double check. Cheers!

Provided you work till the end of the notice period, you will get paid for the 2 days.
However, it is unlikely you will get paid for the Induction as that is essentially training and most contracts have a probationary period.

Also, before you quit/hand in a notice, speak to your manager! They'll try and sort out any issues you have or perhaps they can find you a better role? Behind the bar? In the back/kitchen?

-RL
Original post by SuperWolfPaws
i know everyone is being mean and saying suck it up, but to be fair if your not fit , then your not fit, and maybe OP would be much better in a different job sector. good luck OP

There's a saying which is 'The Truth Hurts' Why should people not be straight to the point?
Original post by SonicOfPron
There's a saying which is 'The Truth Hurts' Why should people not be straight to the point?

hmm.. no they can be straight to the point if they want, if that is there opinion, i don't suggest they shouldn't be. Although there are better ways to deliver your opinion - without being a deliberate bumhole about it, so to speak.
i worked a job like this for a year so of the plates did this to me i only lost my job after the place went quiet so it wasn't worth paying me for
Original post by Vossy1996
You'd be surprised. It's at Gatwick, airside, and it's the second busiest pub in the country. I must've carried at least 100 hot plates out an hour, and when I say hot, I literally mean hot. It's amusing really because you're not allowed to give it to the customers due to the heat of the plate, you have to place it on the table in front of them because apparently
"It risks them dropping the plate", yet we're supposedly allowed to carry them.
Original post by Inexorably
1) Legal Aid
2) Yes he could quite rightfully sue them if they didn't pay him, and potentially end up with more considering the company would be breaking the law.

And the award for "completely avoiding answering the question" goes to... BOTH OF YOU!

Given he has made no claim of discrimination I cannot see how he would be legally aided. He may get fee waiver, I don't know the rules on that.

Again, why would he get an uplift? He has neither been discriminated against, had a union issue, been a whistleblower or had them not comply with ACAS procedure (given there is none). It's a mere loss of earnings claim, all he'd get is whatever earnings he hasn't been paid.

Quick Reply

Latest