The Student Room Group

Is Ivy League better than Russel Group?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scurve
Money isn't everything. Cambridge has less money and is more academically rigorous than US universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Money is everything to Universities, and Cambridge cannot compete with the very top US Colleges for research capacity, not even close.
Reply 101
Original post by Novelist
Money is everything to Universities, and Cambridge cannot compete with the very top US Colleges for research capacity, not even close.

So why is Cambridge still one of the top universities in the world above most US unis then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
Original post by Exceptional
America tends to have better universities because the government pumps a hell of a lot more money into them
Posted from TSR Mobile

The US does spend more than the UK on Tertiary Education, but that isn't the only factor, remember American universities have extensive supply networks that allow them to receive bucket loads of money from other sources that aren't federal funds. To be honest it's kind of endearing that UK universities manage to do so much with what is comparatively so little
Original post by Scurve
So why is Cambridge still one of the top universities in the world above most US unis then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because they do quality research, in line with the other great universities, But they don't do it on the same scale. Harvard gets more than £16 billion plus funding from industry alone each year. Cambridge barely gets £1 billion from various sources.
By a country mile.
Reply 105
Original post by flibber
I still don't understand how the disparity in quality of education between American universities and American high schools can be so high.

I'm not an expert in this area so I can't say with certainty but I expect the United States' lack of a unified federal curriculum is a factor; a lack of government regulation in such a vital area translates to a great disparity in what kids are taught. I also think that the way schools are funded and university admission procedures in the U.S. may play a part in this also but I cannot be sure without more evidence to support my claim, evidence that I'm not really bothered enough to look for as I'd probably have to look up how schools are funded in each of the 50 states.
Easily. Too much discrepancy amongst the RG alone when you've got unis like QUB and Liverpool on there.

Harvard/Yale/Princeton = Oxbridge
Columbia = Imperial/LSE
UPenn = UCL/Edinburgh
Cornell = KCL
Brown/Dartmouth = Durham/Warwick/St Andrews
Original post by Scarlet Sword
harvard has produced 153 and cambridge 90

Cambridge technically has the highest. Affiliates of Cambridge have the highest number then any other institution. Get in !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C_Richards99
Easily. Too much discrepancy amongst the RG alone when you've got unis like QUB and Liverpool on there.

Harvard/Yale/Princeton = Oxbridge
Columbia = Imperial/LSE
UPenn = UCL/Edinburgh
Cornell = KCL
Brown/Dartmouth = Durham/Warwick/St Andrews

MIT should be on the top line.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by grassntai
Warwick is unknown outside of the UK. KCL should be there instead of Manchester.

Similarly, outside the US, Columbia, Penn, Cornell, Brown and Dartmouth are unknown.
Original post by physicsmaths
MIT should be on the top line.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not Ivy. Same for Stanford which also should be ranking but not Ivy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Novelist
Because they do quality research, in line with the other great universities, But they don't do it on the same scale. Harvard gets more than £16 billion plus funding from industry alone each year. Cambridge barely gets £1 billion from various sources.

No they don't. That's the total endowment. Not annual funding!

Harvard had an operating LOSS of $34 million in 2013.

Cambridge endowment is about £5 billion. Not as much as Harvard (or Oxford for that matter) but not bad.

To be clear, Harvard total annual income is about £2.8 bn. Cambridge is £1.5 bn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Scarlet Sword
I mean overall and just for academics, no one cares about stuff like sport

Oh and you do realise that "Ivy League" is a sports term. Some of the best US unis are not Ivys.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by Scurve
Cambridge > MIT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol no
Original post by jneill
Oh and you do realise that "Ivy League" is a sports term. Some of the best US unis are not Ivys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither is the Russel group.
Reply 115
Original post by jneill
Similarly, outside the US, Columbia, Penn, Cornell, Brown and Dartmouth are unknown.

I reckon that Columbia is a bit more known than the others in your list.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paladian
Neither is the Russel group.

Yes but the OP is using a sports group as a shorthand for best unis - whilst saying that sports are not important to him. Whereas as least the Russell Group (2 l's) is a research-led outfit (yeah I know it's also a lazy shorthand for "best" but...)

It's like comparing the BUCS league leaders with Russell Group - actually that could be a useful exercise for someone.
Original post by Scurve
I reckon that Columbia is a bit more known than the others in your list.

Fair comment.
Original post by Soldieroffortune
Since is based on funding and research yes they are.

Tbh I feel like only Oxbridge can compete with the Ivy League. Am I wrong in this? I mean to me it makes sense since America is bigger than the UK, so it needs 8 "Oxbridges" . Don't know how sound this analogy is.
Original post by jneill
Yes but the OP is using a sports group as a shorthand for best unis - whilst saying that sports are not important to him. Whereas as least the Russell Group (2 l's) is a research-led outfit (yeah I know it's also a lazy shorthand for "best" but...)

It's like comparing the BUCS league leaders with Russell Group - actually that could be a useful exercise for someone.

I don't know what sport is played in the ivy league but its probably nothing to do with the russel group.

I presume the BUCS league is similar to the Russel group.

Anyway for sake of argument because the USA is a much larger country than the UK the Ivy league is ahead of the Russel group and much stronger academically.

Quick Reply

Latest