The Student Room Group

Theology applicants for 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a_lou
Hi, I'm applying for Trinity :tongue:

Welcome!

Trinity Cambridge or Trinity Oxford? :colone:
Original post by sombm
Hi again guys. I'm afraid that I am no longer applying for 2016 entry - I will be applying for 2017 entry as I will spending an extra year in sixth form. I will be doing just A2 History and resitting AS R.S. this year and I will then do A2 Politics and A2 R.S. next academic year. So thanks for all your help and support and good luck to all.

I'm sorry we've lost you to the next lot but best of luck! It's great that you're persevering :smile: Let us know how you get on!
Reply 22
Original post by barbriallen
Welcome!

Trinity Cambridge or Trinity Oxford? :colone:

I'm applying for Trinity, Cambridge :tongue:
Original post by sombm
Hi - sorry for my late reply. Yeah I kind of had to apply later as my school would only predict my a B in R.S. when I tend to think that I would realistically need to be predicted an A or A* in it for Theology at a Russell Group uni and also they said that a whole AS resit as on top of three A2s would be too great a workload. Thanks for your help and kindness. Just one final question: what is your profile picture of? - I'm intrigued!

That would be a big workload, I think you've made a wise decision. :smile:

I'm glad you're intrigued! It's a medieval depiction of Abelard and Heloise that I personally find absolutely hilarious. I just love their facial expressions and gestures - not forgetting Abelard's stray leg.

I apologise for my poor sense of humour :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Hi, have any of you applied yet?
Original post by a_lou
Hi, have any of you applied yet?

Just sent off my application. So relieved that's done!

How about you? Any chance you've heard from Trinity yet? :smile:
Reply 26
Really pleased for you! Which other universities have you applied for? Just about extra paperwork etc! I've already had an offer from Kings College London!
Original post by a_lou
Really pleased for you! Which other universities have you applied for? Just about extra paperwork etc! I've already had an offer from Kings College London!

Hi, I've got an offer from King's as well. It really relieved my worries about my personal statement!
Reply 28
Original post by surprisedcake
Hi, I've got an offer from King's as well. It really relieved my worries about my personal statement!
Yeah same! Where else have you applied?
Reply 29
Hi I applied yesterday for theology at Oxford, Durham, St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

does theology tend to be one of the least subscribed degrees?
Original post by a_lou
Yeah same! Where else have you applied?

I've gone for Oxford, St Andrews, King's College, Durham, and Exeter. How about yourself?
Reply 31
Original post by Hmcr96
Hi I applied yesterday for theology at Oxford, Durham, St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

does theology tend to be one of the least subscribed degrees?

I think generally its one of the least applied to, although some unis are more competitive than others
Reply 32
I've gone for Oxford, St Andrews, King's College, Durham, and Exeter. How about yourself?

King's, Durham, Cambridge, Manchester and Birmingham :smile:
Original post by a_lou

Congratulations on your offer! So far, I've applied to Cambridge, St Andrews, Durham, and I actually just added KCL.

Did you fill in the additional PS for the SAQ?
Reply 34
Original post by barbriallen
Congratulations on your offer! So far, I've applied to Cambridge, St Andrews, Durham, and I actually just added KCL.

Did you fill in the additional PS for the SAQ?

Thank you! Yes I did, I submitted the SAQ this morning and I will be sending my written work tomorrow hopefully. I think the worst part of the application will be the waiting now!
Original post by a_lou
Thank you! Yes I did, I submitted the SAQ this morning and I will be sending my written work tomorrow hopefully. I think the worst part of the application will be the waiting now!

That's good! I sent mine off a couple days ago but haven't heard from Pembroke yet. I wish they were as quick as Trinity. The next few weeks are going to be tedious!
Hi, I know I'm a little late now the Oxbridge deadline has passed and most of you seem to have applied, but I'm a first year Theology student at Oxford if anyone has any questions or anything they want to know about interviews etc. (I also had offers from Durham, Edinburgh, Leeds and Lancaster if anyone has applied/ is thinking of applying to them.) Good luck with your applications!:smile:
Original post by ffion-siaaan
Hi, I know I'm a little late now the Oxbridge deadline has passed and most of you seem to have applied, but I'm a first year Theology student at Oxford if anyone has any questions or anything they want to know about interviews etc. (I also had offers from Durham, Edinburgh, Leeds and Lancaster if anyone has applied/ is thinking of applying to them.) Good luck with your applications!:smile:

Hi, congratulations on getting a place at Oxford! At the open day one of the undergraduates explained how at the interview there was a mini-test where she was given two passages of text and then asked to highlight the differences between the two translations. Did you have something similar, and how would you suggest preparing for it? Thanks for your help :smile:
Hi, congratulations on getting a place at Oxford! At the open day one of the undergraduates explained how at the interview there was a mini-test where she was given two passages of text and then asked to highlight the differences between the two translations. Did you have something similar, and how would you suggest preparing for it? Thanks for your help :smile:

Hey! My interviews was quite similar to that, in my first interview I was given two parallel accounts of an event in the OT (can't quite remember which section but it wasn't a very well known part) and I had to compare the presentation of God in the two texts. For my second interview I had a synoptic presentation of three of the gospels (again, can't remember the exact section and I think they took my copy off me!) and I had to compare/contrast them. That probably took up the first 5/10 minutes of the interview and then most of the rest of the discussion stemmed from topics that were raised during my analysis.

Maybe just practice this with different parts of the Old and New Testaments? I asked my school for help and they set me a comparison between Genesis 1 and 2 which was really helpful!

If you have any more questions, let me know! Good luck!:smile:
Reply 39
Original post by ffion-siaaan
Hey! My interviews was quite similar to that, in my first interview I was given two parallel accounts of an event in the OT (can't quite remember which section but it wasn't a very well known part) and I had to compare the presentation of God in the two texts. For my second interview I had a synoptic presentation of three of the gospels (again, can't remember the exact section and I think they took my copy off me!) and I had to compare/contrast them. That probably took up the first 5/10 minutes of the interview and then most of the rest of the discussion stemmed from topics that were raised during my analysis.

Maybe just practice this with different parts of the Old and New Testaments? I asked my school for help and they set me a comparison between Genesis 1 and 2 which was really helpful!

If you have any more questions, let me know! Good luck!:smile:

Again, well done for getting into Oxford! I just wanted to ask how much knowledge did they expect you to have at interview about Theology? I've studied Religious Studies before but never Theology so I wasn't sure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending