The Student Room Group

URGENT: A level combination for philosophy at university??(

Context:
Straight A*s in all subjects so I am open to anything that will help me get into philosophy at a Russell group uni. Also I dislike maths.
Reply 1
But I would do maths if I had to
If you want to do philosophy at uni, I would suggest: r.s, history, English.
Reply 3
Original post by _Robyn_
If you want to do philosophy at uni, I would suggest: r.s, history, English.

That’s a great combination actually, thank you for your help!
Original post by Anyazz
Context:
Straight A*s in all subjects so I am open to anything that will help me get into philosophy at a Russell group uni. Also I dislike maths.

Hi @Anyazz, A lot of Philosophy courses don't specify which A levels need to be taken, typically Admissions Tutors are happy to take students who have studied a wide range of different subjects at A level. That being said, it's usually advisable to take at least one essay based A level if you can, as this will prepare you well for the type of assessments you will encounter on a Philosophy degree.

Taking all that into consideration, I would advise taking the subjects that you think you will enjoy the most and/or have a good chance of getting strong grades in :smile: I hope this helps but let me know if you have any questions! - Molly
Original post by Anyazz
Context:

Surely you've had to choose your A levels in your sixth form application?
Reply 6
Original post by University of Birmingham
Hi @Anyazz, A lot of Philosophy courses don't specify which A levels need to be taken, typically Admissions Tutors are happy to take students who have studied a wide range of different subjects at A level. That being said, it's usually advisable to take at least one essay based A level if you can, as this will prepare you well for the type of assessments you will encounter on a Philosophy degree.

Taking all that into consideration, I would advise taking the subjects that you think you will enjoy the most and/or have a good chance of getting strong grades in :smile: I hope this helps but let me know if you have any questions! - Molly

Thank you so much!
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Surely you've had to choose your A levels in your sixth form application?

Yeah I have, I am free to change it until school starts…
Original post by Anyazz
Yeah I have, I am free to change it until school starts…

I doubt it - there are caps on group sizes in every school. There are also option blocks so you don't have a free choice
Original post by Anyazz
That’s a great combination actually, thank you for your help!

Np! What a levels have you chosen already?
Reply 10
Original post by _Robyn_
Np! What a levels have you chosen already?

I’ve chosen history economics and theology and philosophy. Theology and Philosophy is one subject😅😅 So pretty similar to what you suggested!
Original post by Anyazz
But I would do maths if I had to

Apparently, though I wasn't told this when I chose my A-level subjects, they do quite like maths (and chemistry?) because it displays the logical thinking necessary for the more analytic style of philosophy. That along side some essay-based subjects might be a good combination. Fundamentally though, as someone else mentioned, just choose subjects that you think that you'll enjoy studying.
Reply 12
Original post by lloyd.dg
Apparently, though I wasn't told this when I chose my A-level subjects, they do quite like maths (and chemistry?) because it displays the logical thinking necessary for the more analytic style of philosophy. That along side some essay-based subjects might be a good combination. Fundamentally though, as someone else mentioned, just choose subjects that you think that you'll enjoy studying.

Yeah I heard maths was good for philosophy, but I didn’t really know why, but now I do… thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending