The Student Room Group

Is London the best place to live in the UK?

If not then where?

Scroll to see replies

Literally anywhere else
London's only good if you're a suit or a tourist. It's just such an inconvenient place to live. I much prefer Glasgow, after living in both. Still enough to do in Glasgow without all the ridiculous commutes, overcrowding and ridiculous prices. (Not saying that Glasgow's the best, just that I prefer it to London, ergo London is not the best. London is my least favourite major city. Singapore and Berlin are both so much better.)
Reply 3
Only if you're moderately wealthy, otherwise no.
Original post by Summerxo
If not then where?

Buckinghamshire's supposed to have a high standard of living.
It's probably one of the very worst places to live in.
Reply 6
Aberdeen if you're in a high-skilled job.
Winchester or Guildford if you're middle class.
Brighton or Luton or Reading if you're in an unskilled job. (or working at Luton airport to be more precise)

Though in the future: Bristol, Southampton and Portsmouth. They are all undergoing huge revamp of their cities that goes into billions of pounds and all 3 are actually top 3 cities by fastest wage growth. Southampton is meant to be the city of real estate (Rightmove, Pwc) as fastest growing house prices until 2025.

You might want to look into Edinburgh/Glasgow though, as SNP may be able to set minimum wages in the future.
Reply 7
If you've got money; yes.
If you don't, or are still working your way up through a non-location specific field, then any big city is going to be a good place to live.
It depends what you want?

If you're trying to earn a good salary/build a CV then where are you going to go other than London?

Whereas if you want nice healthy air quality, it's not really where you want to be?
Lol...No.

I'd rather live in Luton again than London.

Original post by cole-slaw
Literally anywhere else

Yeah pretty much this.
London is a ****hole, have you ever seen the look on peoples faces at like 7/8am on the tube? It's so depressing!

:colone:
I'd honestly hate to live there. Whilst it's nice to visit, I just wouldn't want to live in a big city. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Drewski
If you've got money; yes.
If you don't, or are still working your way up through a non-location specific field, then any big city is going to be a good place to live.

What sort of salary? :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Liquid Harvest
It's probably one of the very worst places to live in.

Why? Would you say so even if someone's well off?
What sort of salary? :smile:

To be comfortable? I'd say £30k would allow you to have a decent life and a not terrible place to live.

In other places you could have a similar standard of living for substantially less.
Reply 16
Original post by Drewski
To be comfortable? I'd say £30k would allow you to have a decent life and a not terrible place to live.

In other places you could have a similar standard of living for substantially less.

Thanks.

What's the biggest cost compared to elsewhere in London? Looking at the numbers vs Birmingham, Liverpool etc. it largely seems to be transport for me assuming you don't mind living in a studio as opposed to a one bedroom flat. I don't know much about renting there though (apart from having looked at rental sites)
Thanks.

What's the biggest cost compared to elsewhere in London? Looking at the numbers vs Birmingham, Liverpool etc. it largely seems to be transport for me assuming you don't mind living in a studio as opposed to a one bedroom flat. I don't know much about renting there though (apart from having looked at rental sites)

From my limited experience, it's definitely housing. The reason travel becomes so expensive is because everyone's priced out of the centre and so has to commute long distances.
Reply 18
Original post by Drewski
From my limited experience, it's definitely housing. The reason travel becomes so expensive is because everyone's priced out of the centre and so has to commute long distances.

So housing anywhere (even further out)?

From my browsing rental sites it seems like you can find a nice studio/one bed for around 4-600 in other cities and 5-600 in certain zones in London :dontknow: That is ignoring transport though :smile:
Most of the best paying jobs are in London, lots of hospitals, dentist practices and in the private sector investment banking, law, MC, actuarial etc. are all top jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest