The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Happy half term to those that are on it! 4 more teaching days for me.

Next week were doing writing moderation for the new assessment without levels system. None of us have even seen an assessment checklist or sheet, so I have no idea what I should be looking for in the kids' writing. I've read a few of them so far and am pretty pleased with the results. I definitely think my literacy teaching has improved a lot compared to this time last year, but without the new assessment criteria available yet it is hard to say for sure if they've done well at all.

Mind you, we need to show progress by the end of the year so perhaps I should be hoping for them not to be doing so well at this point!!
It's amazing how quickly your mood can change in teaching with all the ups and downs going on.

Wednesday I felt awful. My Y8s were driving me mad and I was anxious about getting enough pupil replies and deposits in for my trip so I could pay for the ferry (if I didn't pay it on Friday I'd lose the reservation and have to cancel the trip).

Yesterday my Y8s were much more settled (still some lazy pupils barely working, but they were quiet and I could focus on helping the good pupils), £1000 in the trip account, ferry deposit paid at lunchtime and broken up for half-term.

I'm setting out at 4am today to fly to Athens for 4 days so today is mostly consisting of research, itinerary planning and packing. I'm really looking forward to taking my mind off work for a few days, although I do plan on taking some assessments to mark on the plane. But I don't mind marking assessments really, it's exercise books that I hate!
Original post by myrtille

I'm setting out at 4am today to fly to Athens for 4 days so today is mostly consisting of research, itinerary planning and packing. I'm really looking forward to taking my mind off work for a few days, although I do plan on taking some assessments to mark on the plane. But I don't mind marking assessments really, it's exercise books that I hate!

Have fun! My boyfriend and I are thinking about going to Athens during the Easter break for about the same amount of time. You'll have to let me know what you did and if you thought 4 days was the right amount of time!

I'm the same with assessments v books. I think everyone is, probably. I love making their assessments and seeing how they've all done!
I agree with marking assessments - I do enjoy doing it. Good job really, I have two sets of y7 assessments to mark today and a set of y12 essays. But I can do it all whilst watching Harry Potter! :smile:

I've been having mood swings recently too. My year 11 have completely stressed me out this week for various reasons and I've been getting upset about it all.

But onwards and upwards, year 11 aren't in next week because they're off on work experience, I get 4 extra frees and the majority of my classes are doing either assessments (y8/9) or coursework reading (y13). Planned a nice end of half term quiz for my year 12 too.

We finish on Thursday but have a staff day Friday, hoping I can just blitz through marking and have minimal work to do over half term.
Half term!
How's everyone found the half term?

Gone so fast but feel like I've got quite a lot done:

2 sets of year ten books marked, nearly 1 set year 11 books marked and controlled assessments organised and some marked.

Planned the first two days back as well.

Still got a bit of stuff left to do but have until the end of the first week back at least to get most of it done.

I think I'm going to try and go back with a really positive mindset and try my hardest not to get bogged down with silly behaviour or disagreements with colleagues - this half term coming up is the hardest one in many ways so there's no point getting down about things.
Been feeling like an NQT again this week - getting home only to realise I still have 5 lessons to plan for tomorrow.

Normally in the holidays I try to get ahead on planning, map out the rough outline of my lessons for the next few weeks and find a few resources. Because I went away last week for half-term, I just marked assessments (there were loads) and Y9 books, then planned Monday's lessons. So I've been playing catch-up all week.

But it was worth it to have most of the week off. Athens was brilliant and I'd say 3-4 days is the right amount of time.
Reply 107
This was a killer half-term. In all sorts of ways: felt like quitting in the first couple of weeks, then just when it got better, one close member of my family died, so it was flying back and worth to the funeral, see the relatives, etc - all emotionally draining. The only good point about the workload was that because I was so busy there was no time to be down and depressed about the fragility of human life. I hope next half-term is better...
I haven't done half as much as I should have this half term holiday. I'm making up for it today! Surrounded by medium term plans and text books...!

Oh well, I've had a nice week. Spent time with my boyfriend, visited family in Scotland, did a bit of shopping (Christmas, Ikea... new car.... whoops!).
First week back wasn't too bad - I have been full of cold last few days though, feeling much better now! We have a departmental and senior leadership book scrutiny coming up this week which has required me to mark around 100 books in total over 3 weeks.

How's everyone doing?
As per my previous post, I found the first week back really tough. I was planning every lesson the night before and struggling to get through my marking.

I'm just about caught up now though, but have had to work through the weekend because I've got so much marking to do (done 40 books so far this weekend, as well as planning tomorrow's lessons). I reckon in the first 10 weeks of this year I've done at least twice as much marking as I'd done this time last year.

I had an observation in the first week back (we now have a week where you can expect a drop-in, rather than a scheduled observation where you produce a written plan and everything) and the feedback on the learning/engagement/challenge was very positive, but I got picked up for accepting some low level disruption (ie: pupils shouting out answers/contributions because they are keen). It upset me a bit because I know it was a fair criticism and I was annoyed with myself that I do let that class get away with some stuff. But on the other hand, they started out quite disengaged and disruptive and are now really focused and making good progress so I don't want to nag them all the time and ruin the positive atmosphere.

I submitted my TLR application on Friday (for the responsibility I mentioned a few pages back) so will probably have an interview this week. It worries me a bit because it's to do with modeling best practice, observing others, running CPD sessions, etc., and I know I'm not perfect and feel like I'm going to get caught out. But at the same time, if the Head has approached me for the role they must think I'm good enough.

Busy busy busy - this job doesn't get any easier!
Need some advice - I've seen a job come up for a January start in a different city (not too far but I'd have to commute by train initially) for a 6th form college, well 16-18 and it looks outstanding. I'd love to just teach 6th form if I'm honest.

I'm just concerned about job security and future prospects. If I was to move from an 11-18 comprehensive to a 6th form college could I then be pigeon holed in the future if I wanted to return to my current sector?
Original post by Steveluis10
Need some advice - I've seen a job come up for a January start in a different city (not too far but I'd have to commute by train initially) for a 6th form college, well 16-18 and it looks outstanding. I'd love to just teach 6th form if I'm honest.

I'm just concerned about job security and future prospects. If I was to move from an 11-18 comprehensive to a 6th form college could I then be pigeon holed in the future if I wanted to return to my current sector?

Yes, you could find that, if you want to teach in an 11 - 18 school later on, but are you going to turn down a job you really want and which is up for grabs now in favour of future, unspecified, possibly non-existent jobs?
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Yes, you could find that, if you want to teach in an 11 - 18 school later on, but are you going to turn down a job you really want and which is up for grabs now in favour of future, unspecified, possibly non-existent jobs?

I guess you're right there - I think I'm going to talk to an experienced colleague on Monday about it before applying. It looks like it will be tough to even get an interview but there's no harm in trying. I did want to stay in the city I'm in and the January start isn't ideal but as the weeks go by more and more I'm certain I can't last many more years in the school I'm at currently and I love this job too much to have the passion drained out of me based on one school.
I guess you're right there - I think I'm going to talk to an experienced colleague on Monday about it before applying. It looks like it will be tough to even get an interview but there's no harm in trying. I did want to stay in the city I'm in and the January start isn't ideal but as the weeks go by more and more I'm certain I can't last many more years in the school I'm at currently and I love this job too much to have the passion drained out of me based on one school.

After a lifetime's career, I incline to the view that the job is too stressful to be enduring misery in the present in the hope of happiness potentially in the future. Seize the day.
Reply 115
Please help.
How do you tell your department (esp. Head of Department) that you're asking time off for interviews and potentially want to leave?...

Go for it! Best of luck!

Original post by lantan
Please help.
How do you tell your department (esp. Head of Department) that you're asking time off for interviews and potentially want to leave?...

No idea, I'm afraid... be diplomatic and say you feel the school perhaps hasn't been the best fit for you, so you are looking elsewhere? Keep in mind the deadlines for handing in notice etc as well.

Are you looking in the same geographic area? If not, you can always say you are looking for something closer to home / further from home (not always good to work too close!).
Original post by lantan
Please help.

Simply say that it is for your career progression. It's a normal part of working life. Don't be apologetic.
Reply 118
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Simply say that it is for your career progression. It's a normal part of working life. Don't be apologetic.

Thanks! A load off my shoulders! :smile:
Original post by lantan
Thanks! A load off my shoulders! :smile:

Nice to be able to help. Most schools have a ten percent turnover of staff per year on average, I believe. Moving on is part of teaching life.

Latest

Trending

Trending