The Student Room Group

Trouble with UCAS reference

My tutor is a university student currently in his 3rd year. I have emailed about 30 unis asking if he was allowed to write me an academic reference for my application. A few unis have responded. Aston university have said that since he is a student he cannot provide an academic reference and that the reference needs to be from my most recent academic institution. Is this the same for most unis? Would the issue be more with the fact that he's a student or that he is not from my most recent academic institution?
A student isn’t a teaching professional qualified to provide an academic reference. Unless you left school/college 5+ years ago then most universities will expect you to provide an academic reference from your most recent place of formal education.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
A student isn’t a teaching professional qualified to provide an academic reference. Unless you left school/college 5+ years ago then most universities will expect you to provide an academic reference from your most recent place of formal education.

My school said they wouldn't be able to give me any mock exams to check my progress and so even if they provided a reference it would be with no predicted grades. If I had any teacher or even somehow got one of my old school teachers to agree to give me a reference with predicted grades, would they be allowed?
Original post by JamieInit
My school said they wouldn't be able to give me any mock exams to check my progress and so even if they provided a reference it would be with no predicted grades. If I had any teacher or even somehow got one of my old school teachers to agree to give me a reference with predicted grades, would they be allowed?

Are you resitting exams? Did you ask your universities if they needed predicted grades from someone resitting? Most universities will accept a reference without predictions if you are resitting.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Are you resitting exams? Did you ask your universities if they needed predicted grades from someone resitting? Most universities will accept a reference without predictions if you are resitting.

Yes resitting. I didn't ask if they needed predicted grades in the emails but a few have told me anyway that they don't require a reference or predicted grades. I've heard that without predicted grades universities only assume that the student will get one grade higher for each subject than what I achieved last year, I'm not 100% sure about this though. I understand that this may be the best I can get, but the improvement I've made is way higher than just 1 grade up for each subject. I just hoped there was a way I could show that.
Original post by JamieInit
Yes resitting. I didn't ask if they needed predicted grades in the emails but a few have told me anyway that they don't require a reference or predicted grades. I've heard that without predicted grades universities only assume that the student will get one grade higher for each subject than what I achieved last year, I'm not 100% sure about this though. I understand that this may be the best I can get, but the improvement I've made is way higher than just 1 grade up for each subject. I just hoped there was a way I could show that.

Even if your school aren't willing to provide formal predicted grades most will be willing to include a line along the lines of "although we aren't able to provide predicted grades JamieInit has let us know that they are aiming for XXX in their upcoming resit exams"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending