The Student Room Group

Is it wrong to make fun of fat people?

Say if you walked past one and then pointed and laughed.

Scroll to see replies

It's wrong, yes
of course it is...????
If we are to move forward as a society and progress towards a better future I think we should be making fun of fat people, we need them to know they are fat. We need them to feel unwanted by society so they opt for their thinner Self.
Encouraging people to lose weight is a good thing (if they need to). Ridiculing people for their size won't result in much progress for the individual or society.
As someone who has only just recently managed to burn off years of being fed junk food and takeaways by their mum, I would sat yes to the question. :sadnod:
Idk OP, would you stop and laugh at a smoker or drinker for smoking/drinking?
It's wrong to point and laugh at anyone. If you're suggesting that making fun of fat people will motivate them to lose weight, you're wrong (in most cases).
Original post by mollyxrose
It's wrong to point and laugh at anyone. If you're suggesting that making fun of fat people will motivate them to lose weight, you're wrong (in most cases).

+1 rep coming your way! :h:
Making fun of anyone is bad of course. However, I'd make an exception by laughing at people who make fun of others, especially so publicly.
It's as bad as making fun of skinny and ripped people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The two eds
If we are to move forward as a society and progress towards a better future I think we should be making fun of fat people, we need them to know they are fat. We need them to feel unwanted by society so they opt for their thinner Self.

I agree with this obesity costs the NHS so much we need to be more critical of fat people.
No it's not okay. Like a poster above stated, yes we should encourage them to lose weight but ridiculing them is not the way. That would do more harm than good.
Shouldn't make fun of anyone.
Well, it's wrong if they can see you. :colonhash:
Reply 15
Fat people need to learn.
Original post by karl pilkington
I agree with this obesity costs the NHS so much we need to be more critical of fat people.

Most of them choose to be fat by eating themselves to death and leading an unhealthy life. They same can be said for drug addicts, smokers and drinkers.They have no right to free healthcare as they are cause of their unfortunate state. Genuine sufferers should not have to suffer at the hands of these self inflicting people.
Original post by iodo345
Fat people are ugly

Wtf no

Posted from TSR Mobile

They are ugly. However, sadly there are some who could be good looking if they just lost there weight like you see on these fitness programmes etc
Yes it's wrong, and some might thing it's ugly but some might be attracted to it.

It's been shown time and time again that ""fat shaming""" DOESNT actively help people get thinner, it makes the problem worse.

God you're honestly a **** if you think it's socially acceptable to mock someone with a different lifestyle choice to you.

Quick Reply

Latest