The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Danielek
Since I went to the effort of being interviewed for Manchester and given their new policy of cutting down drastically on the number of places available on the 2016 course, I feel slightly obliged to put them down as firm.

Hi,
I'm seeing Birmingham this week so your comments have been useful.
I've also got an interview with Manchester (Chem Eng) in a couple of weeks and must admit I'm slightly nervous. Not sure what to expect, have you got any advice?
Thanks
Anyone else putting a insurance offer with a higher grade requirement then their firm choice? Planning on firming Nottingham AAA and putting Bath A*AA as my insurance, but obviously its a very risky move.
Original post by Daniel9998
Anyone else putting a insurance offer with a higher grade requirement then their firm choice? Planning on firming Nottingham AAA and putting Bath A*AA as my insurance, but obviously its a very risky move.

If you applied anywhere else that has requirements less than AAA I'd put that as your insurance. Putting something A*AA is pretty pointless I think because if you miss the AAA grades you've got nothing to fall back on.

What's the point? Bath is very unlikely to take you with AAB (a 2 grade miss), whereas Nottingham may well do anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone else struggling to decide what to firm and insure? I want to go to Bath which is A*AA but then i wanted to insure Birmingham but the grades are still A*AA but i was told Birmingham are more likely to be lenient with grades if you put them as your firm choice? I dont know whether to put Sheffield or Nottingham as insurance, which are both AAA, but then if i dont get the A* in maths or chemistry and dont get into Bath i'll regret not firming birmingham. Why is this so hard?!
Also does anyone know which universities were in clearing last year?
Original post by lydiar98
Anyone else struggling to decide what to firm and insure? I want to go to Bath which is A*AA but then i wanted to insure Birmingham but the grades are still A*AA but i was told Birmingham are more likely to be lenient with grades if you put them as your firm choice? I dont know whether to put Sheffield or Nottingham as insurance, which are both AAA, but then if i dont get the A* in maths or chemistry and dont get into Bath i'll regret not firming birmingham. Why is this so hard?!

Suppose you were given unconditionals from all your unis, where would you go?

You should assume that you'll meet the offer, because why go somewhere you don't really want to? I'd like to see you there, women in engineering are rare :tongue: (I have already firmed Bath for chemE). Out of interest, what accommodation are you looking at for Bath?

I don't see how this would work. If you don't get AAA you have more chance of Nottingham accepting your lower grade than you do Bath. If you have to resort to ringing the university then again you stand a better chance with your first choice uni than you do with one that you put second. Especially as in this instance, you would be expecting Bath to reduce their offer by at least two grades for a student who didn't even put them as first choice.
It depends what you realistically think you are going to get. If you are going to struggle to get AAA then pick a safer 2nd option instead of Bath. If you stand a good chance of AAA or higher then it probably doesn't matter what your second choice is but I personally would not recommend putting an A*AA as your insurance.
Your first choice should be the uni you really want to go to, the second choice should be "If I really mess up" which uni will I be happy at that is going to accept the lower grade.
Maybe I haven't thought it through enough, but that is my initial answer to your question. I hope it helps
Original post by Bath_Student
Suppose you were given unconditionals from all your unis, where would you go?

You should assume that you'll meet the offer, because why go somewhere you don't really want to? I'd like to see you there, women in engineering are rare :tongue: (I have already firmed Bath for chemE). Out of interest, what accommodation are you looking at for Bath?

I guess its because i wouldn't mind going to any of them but Bath has been my favorite for a long time. I'm just afraid that i wont meet the offer. I know I have the capability, it's just its so difficult to get the A*.
That's awesome, where is your insurance then? I havn't even started looking at accommodation, where are you thinking?

On results day the *vast* majority of applicants go to their Firm. Then a few go to clearing. Fewer still go to their insurance. Firm the uni you prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I guess its because i wouldn't mind going to any of them but Bath has been my favorite for a long time. I'm just afraid that i wont meet the offer. I know I have the capability, it's just its so difficult to get the A*.
That's awesome, where is your insurance then? I havn't even started looking at accommodation, where are you thinking?

Unsure tbh, they all look great :smile: I haven't actually bothered with an insurance because it's really only Bath I wanted.

Go for Bath as well!
I'm in a bit of a dilemma, I know I'm definitely firming Newcastle which are 1 less reduced grade (because of an outreach prgrm due to circumstances) but I don't know what to put insurance out of Aston (BBB), Swansea (ABB), Sheffield(AAA) (no point since its much higher) or Loughborough but that's for chemistry degree and not chemical engineering (ABB-BBB)
It makes sense to insure Aston (as it's the only lower offer) but idk whether it's worth it or how good it is for chemical engineering I know overall it's an okay uni but most students rate it slightly lower for chem eng, idk whether it's worth putting Swansea as idk how lenient they are (if I was to get ABC/BBC fingers crossed I get higher) can someone like just indicate me in a direction☹️
Reply 1531
Unsure tbh, they all look great :smile: I haven't actually bothered with an insurance because it's really only Bath I wanted.

Go for Bath as well!

Have you gone on an applicant day to Bath, if so how long after receiving your offer did you find out about one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VokeA
Have you gone on an applicant day to Bath, if so how long after receiving your offer did you find out about one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't and won't (absolutely don't need to, I just have an extremely positive feeling about it). Got an invite about a month ago, got the offer in November. Btw, there are many applicant days from now until about late March (ie not just a single one).
Anyone planning on going to Edinburgh for ChemEng? They let me switch my application from Chemistry to ChemEng and kept my offer the same, ABB!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1534
I haven't and won't (absolutely don't need to, I just have an extremely positive feeling about it). Got an invite about a month ago, got the offer in November. Btw, there are many applicant days from now until about late March (ie not just a single one).

Oh okay thanks. I really need to see it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Azzer11
Anyone planning on going to Edinburgh for ChemEng? They let me switch my application from Chemistry to ChemEng and kept my offer the same, ABB!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, see you there!
Original post by JamieOH
Yeah, see you there!

Ew, a CompSci troll.
Original post by Azzer11
Ew, a CompSci troll.

Harsh
Original post by idr335
Harsh

He's applying for CompSci and he was trolling, so I would say it was factual :wink:
Original post by Azzer11
He's applying for CompSci and he was trolling, so I would say it was factual :wink:

True. But still harsh imo

Quick Reply

Latest