The Student Room Group

Are White people obligated to help Blacks?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by General Josh
And why would I do that? Aside from the fact that you people use "racism" to try and solve your problems, because you're too lazy to work and deal with life like normal people, it's just ridiculous. We didn't oppress you, although personally I think the apartheid was the best thing to happen to South Africa in decades, and black people need to stop thinking that everything they read is racist, and just get on with life like a white guy. We don't complain when we use the word whiteboard, do we? But it's racist to say blackboard, of course.

Lol typical racist person my post is a joke but its nice to provoke racist agendas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
white people are a menace
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
How can I be sorry for something I didn't do, i.e. oppress black people.

But why should that mean I have to take a homeless person into my home. Do you take homeless white people into your home?

Ah but you see, merely existing as a white person is in itself an oppressive act towards black people. How could you do such a thing, you horrible s**tlord?
Millions upon millions of white people died in world wars so everyone should help us really as u had as much to do with that as whites did to slavery
Reply 24
no
Original post by Killa Kam
After all you put us through and still do to this day,I think if you walk past a homless black man you should take him into your home and let him live with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't think you should have to go that far, as there are organizations that help homeless people, but we should help if we can regardless of what race they are
You people really do fall for trolling
Lol this is clearly some sort of troll. As a black person, I don't agree. Yes there are still racist white people - but I know racist black people too. At the end of the day, as we progress as a society, white people are becoming more accepting and we can't keep blaming them for faults of their ancestors. Barack Obama never became the first black President because he was the "most qualified", we've had plenty of people in the past as, if not more, qualified than him. It's just about acceptance. Basically my point is, racism will eventually diminish, and it does take time but if more of us stopped complaining/feeling entitled and just got on with it, we'd achieve more.
Reply 28
As a black person, this thread makes me uncomfortable. With regards to racism, whites should be AWARE and to UNDERSTAND the legacy their ancestors made for them rather than apologise and deny that - white people today aren't responsible. All we ask is to be respected and to be treated as individuals and to respect our cultures.
Reply 29
Original post by SotonianOne
white people are a menace

Welcome back ...
I thought you were banned.
Why would they ban you?
Hell no. If I saw a black person or any person being harassed I'd try to help especially if it was due to prejudice. But thats my limit. I'm not taking any random person home with me, black white or alien.
Reply 31
Original post by Ndella
As a black person, this thread makes me uncomfortable. With regards to racism, whites should be AWARE and to UNDERSTAND the legacy their ancestors made for them rather than apologise and deny that - white people today aren't responsible. All we ask is to be respected and to be treated as individuals and to respect our cultures.

Yes but on the other hand black people should be AWARE and UNDERSTAND that much of the hostility towards them comes from their astronomically high levels of crime and violence - far more so than any other group, even after controlling for poverty, etc. Around 55% of street crime in London is committed by blacks for example, despite the fact they only make up 12% of the population and they aren't even the poorest or most "oppressed" group (Bangladeshis/Pakistanis, are poorer and face as much "racism" but commit very little crime): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/7856787/Violent-inner-city-crime-the-figures-and-a-question-of-race.html

The same pattern holds in most other countries, and blacks typically commit crime around 5-8x more than other races (America is an extreme case where blacks are completely out of control and the main drivers of pretty much all crime statistics, but you see similar patterns in countries like Brazil/France/etc too - essentially anywhere that has a large black population). So if you want to understand the source of racism, look here. Many people who live around blacks end up feeling very wary around them due to their crazy levels of crime/violence, and trying to write that off as "racism" is disingenuous as hell.

Racism isn't random, its not like the entire world independently decided to be racist against Africans for no reason (and if you think white people are "racist" against you, just try talking to a typical person from South Asia or China and see what they think - their attitudes towards blacks makes the typical European look like Martin Luther King). Other races manage to integrate into society without committing enormous amounts of crime, and blaming "racism" makes no sense since the same pattern repeats itself in many different countries (including black countries)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by General Josh
And why would I do that? Aside from the fact that you people use "racism" to try and solve your problems, because you're too lazy to work and deal with life like normal people, it's just ridiculous. We didn't oppress you, although personally I think the apartheid was the best thing to happen to South Africa in decades, and black people need to stop thinking that everything they read is racist, and just get on with life like a white guy. We don't complain when we use the word whiteboard, do we? But it's racist to say blackboard, of course.

Wow,I'm amazed,"personally I think the apartheid was the best thing that happend to South Africa"
I don't know what type of black people you come across but I've never heard anyone say that it's racist to mention blackboard,hilarious.
Reply 33
Didn't whites already help them enough ?
Original post by Killa Kam
After all you put us through and still do to this day,I think if you walk past a homless black man you should take him into your home and let him live with you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What if a black person who has greatly benefitted from social inequality by attending a top private school and recieving internships from his parents' powerful friends walks past a white homeless person who grew up on an extremely deprived council estate such as Wythenshawe and attended a rock bottom school. The latter did not qualify for any of the schemes which give ethnic minorites interested in competitive fields a great helping hand. The former did, even though they needed this helping hand much much less than the other. Tell me, should the black person help the white person?

And no, this is not a rare situation. There are hundreds of white working class young people who need a helping hand who are denied it whilst more fortunate ethnic minorities are offered a multitude of schemes to apply for.
In the 1940s and 50's, my grandfather started a programme with like-minded colleagues who walked the streets of London's opressive parts and specifically sought out black men that they seemed down and out. They took these men into their own homes where they could have a hot meal, a bath and a bed for the night. In the morning, they were given some new (donated) clothes and a few shillings before leaving after a hearty breakfast. Then the process was repeated with other similar unfortunates.
The purpose for this exercise was to demonstrate that there were some whites folks who could show compassion etc to blacks. Also, it was intended to (sort of) apologise for the way that our white forefathers had enslaved the blacks in Britain hundreds of years before and now wanted to make ammends.
The Daily Mail took up this issue at the time and condemed this abhorrent practise as "exploitation" of the blacks when all my granddad and his groups were doing was HELPING. They were arrested by the police.
The moral of this story is - it is far safer to let sleeping dogs lie than undertake the hassle and all that goes with it in trying to help a fellow man. Too much trouble. I hope that answers your question.
Reply 36
Original post by TheWaffle
What if a black person who has greatly benefitted from social inequality by attending a top private school and recieving internships from his parents' powerful friends walks past a white homeless person who grew up on an extremely deprived council estate such as Wythenshawe and attended a rock bottom school. The latter did not qualify for any of the schemes which give ethnic minorites interested in competitive fields a great helping hand. The former did, even though they needed this helping hand much much less than the other. Tell me, should the black person help the white person?

Ironically the white person will probably still have an advantage - in the US black kids raised in families earning over $200,000 a year do worse in SAT scores (used for university admissions) than whites raised in families earning $30,000 a year http://www.jbhe.com/latest/news/1-22-09/satracialgapfigure.gif

They get into university with far lower scores on average though due to affirmative action, so it all works out in the end!
Original post by poohat
Ironically the white person will probably still have an advantage - in the US black kids raised in families earning over $200,000 a year do worse in SAT scores (used for university admissions) than whites raised in families earning $30,000 a year http://www.jbhe.com/latest/news/1-22-09/satracialgapfigure.gif

They get into university with far lower scores on average though due to affirmative action, so it all works out in the end!

No. No they really wouldn't.

The white person in my scenario is homeless, has no decent qualifications due to going to an awful school and is at the bottom of the ladder, near unable to climb up due to a lack of social mobility from their position.

The black person's parents paid for him to attend a top private school where he was coached into getting the top grades and due to family connections he is near guarenteed a top job upon graduation.

The black person still has numerous affirmative action scores open to him though. The white person does not.
Original post by TeeEm
Welcome back ...
I thought you were banned.
Why would they ban you?

I don't know. Mods here have a record of being unreasonable and ridiculous.
Original post by TheWaffle

I have to humbly disagree with your overall position; I don't think it is fair to politicize the issue in this way.

There is clearly a racial power dynamic tilted in favour of white people and, as such, you can't draw an equivalence between black oppression and 'white oppression'.

Quick Reply

Latest