The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Helenia
I'll keep you posted then... :tongue:

Otherwise it will be microwave lasagne (88p at Sainsbury's :biggrin:) again.

I hate microwave food. Too much salt.
Reply 21
This thread is making me really hungry... :rolleyes:
Some great suggestions though :smile:
Reply 22
shiny
I hate microwave food. Too much salt.

True, but they are rather nice when you just can't be arsed. Clearly you are far more of a culinary master than I am - all my best recipes require an oven, which I don't have here :frown:
Reply 23
VE dessert - (i made this).
Ingredients: Apple, Banana, Orange and a strawberry (nice and simple)

Grate the apple and put it into the base of a bowl.

Slice the banana and place each piece on top of the apple layer so that it completley covers the grated apple underneath.

Peel the orange into segments and line them in a circle on top of the banana slices around the edge of the bowl.

Finish off with a starwberry/cherry on top.

Nice quick, healthy dessert and cheap! Tastes nice too!
Helenia
I'll keep you posted then... :tongue:

Otherwise it will be microwave lasagne (88p at Sainsbury's :biggrin:) again.

Microwave food is great :smile: There's a permanent 5 for 4 offer on at asdas, so that supplies my daily luncheon instead of instant noodles atm.
Reply 25
ickle_katy
how to make a pot noodle...

fill kettle with water,
turn kettle on
once boiled fill pot till line
leave for 2 mins
stir
leave for 2 mins
eat.

throw pot in bin.

and easy, healthy meal with no washing up.

love Katy ***

How on earth is Pot Noodles healthy?
Reply 26
Apple Cake

This is very nice served warm with custard or ice cream. Quick and easy to make - useful if you rashly promise to contribute a pudding to a shared meal.

Chop up 3 or so apples into quite small pieces; you can peel them if you don't want the skins on. Fry with a little butter, a couple of spoons of sugar and cinnamon to taste. I have Amaretto kicking around so I put a few spoons of that in too. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until soft. Then put in the bottom of a cake tin/pyrex dish/pyrex jug/some oven proof container.

Get a 24p I believe Tesco Value insant sponge cake mix, or some other own brand cake mix, and follow the instructions to make it up. Goes something like add an egg, some water and beat together. Then pour the sponge mix over the apple and stick in the oven for 15 mins or so. Test it's cooked all the way through by stabbing it in the middle with a toothpick - it should come out clean. Then eat, mmmm.
A Nice Cheap Salad Dressing!

Olive Oil
Balsamic or Malt vinegar
Pepper
Salt
a tad of garlic powder (can be left out!)

Stuff your salad stuffs into a bowl. Stick on the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Stick on loads of vinegar (or how much you like....I love vinegar me!) and then cover with a drizzle of olive oil (Jamie Oliver stylee. Bish bash bosh!) and then toss the salad (no, with a spoon and fork).
Taste it and add anything you feel is missing.

Voila, dirt cheap salad dressing from bog standard things in your cupboard. And it's not full of fat and crap like ready made ones!
Now incorporated into The Official UKL Recipe Thread!!

:smile:
ickle_katy
how to make a pot noodle...

fill kettle with water,
turn kettle on
once boiled fill pot till line
leave for 2 mins
stir
leave for 2 mins
eat.

throw pot in bin.

and easy, healthy meal with no washing up.

love Katy ***

NO!!! don't fill the pot to the line, just fill enough to cover the noodles by about 1cm, and this is the trick LEAVE THE LID ON...that's right ladies and gents, just peel it back half way the when you put the water back in put the lid back in and fold the little tab bit back under so it stays in place. Leave for 2 or 3 minutes....umm..umm..that is a tasty pot noodle.
CHEESY PEASY

You are going to love this one. Taken from Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Cookbook and adapted a little. It doesn't have cheese in, it's just what me and my boyfriend like to call it, and it's our favourite! This serves 2 people, with some left over for seconds...yay!

1. Fry an medium sized onion. When the onion is soft you can either (a) add some uncooked chicked cut into strips, as much as you like. I use 2 skinless and boneless breasts. or (b) used cooked chicken torn into strips and put that in later.

2. Once the chicken is cooked, if you are doing it that way, then add about 3 rashers of bacon cut into strips, and fry that off, and once the bacon is cooked, bung in about 2 handfuls of mushrooms, sliced or quatered.

3. Get a bowl, fill with about 4 tablespoons of BIRDSEYE frozen peas, add enough water to cover, add some salt and stick in the microwave on high for 4 mins.

(4. Cook tagliatelle, as much as you like. I don't beleive in measuring things or having stupid small portions of something so delicious so I would recommend about 8-9 balls...?)

5. Drain peas, and if you are using cooked chicken, add both to the onions and mushroom..etc. Stir around til it's nice and hot and then add double cream, enough to make it saucy enough for the amount of pasta. I use one of those blue tubs from sainsburys, the one that is about 4 inches high??! There is a small tub and a bigger tub, use the bigger tub.

6. Add seasoning. Probably won't need salt because of the bacon but pepper is nice. Stir and it's done when it's thickened up.

7. Drain tagliatelle, then put it back in the saucepan you cooked it in, then pour over the sauce and mimx around so pasta is coated in delicious sauce.

8. You can have some grated cheese on top (not parmesan, disguises the lovely flavour, use mature chedda or something) then I suppose it really is cheesy peasy.
Please put all your future posts in The Official UKL Recipe Thread, which can be found here

Thankyou!!

Ruthie xx

Latest

Trending

Trending