The Student Room Group

Should all a-level students do the same board?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Coconut-drizzle
Can someone un private the poll results!!

loool chill mate
Original post by Muttley79
The Government (well Mr Gove actually) tried to introduce one board for GCSE English and Maths - it wasn't allowed as the exam boards claimed 'restraint of trade' as whoever won the contract would make the other two bankrupt.

True. Fundamentally, exam boards are businesses.
Original post by games211
Since you tutor would you be able to rank exam boards, say for biology, from easiest to hardest ( in your opinion)?

From hardest (and in my opinion the best) to easiest (and in my opinion worst):

OCR
AQA
Edexcel
Reply 23
Original post by Munrot07

OCR
AQA
Edexcel

So why don't school change exam boards say to edexcel (i.e the easiest) if they know that it will be easier for the student and bring better results for the school.
So why don't school change exam boards say to edexcel (i.e the easiest) if they know that it will be easier for the student and bring better results for the school.

Because, and this is the reason I would always want my students to OCR, it doesn't prepare you very well for...well anything. If you're look for a grade to help get into uni and thats it then sure...go edexcel but I have found once at university those who have done OCR are at a massive advantages because they have done stuff more in depth, harder stuff and have a much better knowledge of the subject they are studying with better skills in it.

My school did OCR Biology and that was the reason...they said many students who went to uni to do a related subject found the first year a lot easier than those who hadn't done OCR as the others were playing catch up.

Honestly, I believe the difference in difficulty at A level is worth the amount of difficulty saved at a university level. Again, this is a problem with the system. Someone doing biology A level with no intention on doing anything related to it at uni would want edexcel...anyone wanting to studying things related to biology who really enjoyed the subject would want OCR.

Each exam board has benefits and drawbacks so it suits different people. I mean for example, if you hate essay writing and chose biology and your exam board was AQA well you have to do an essay in your final exam and that's not great for you.
Reply 25
Because, and this is the reason I would always want my students to OCR, it doesn't prepare you very well for...well anything. If you're look for a grade to help get into uni and thats it then sure...go edexcel but I have found once at university those who have done OCR are at a massive advantages because they have done stuff more in depth, harder stuff and have a much better knowledge of the subject they are studying with better skills in it.

My school did OCR Biology and that was the reason...they said many students who went to uni to do a related subject found the first year a lot easier than those who hadn't done OCR as the others were playing catch up.

Honestly, I believe the difference in difficulty at A level is worth the amount of difficulty saved at a university level. Again, this is a problem with the system. Someone doing biology A level with no intention on doing anything related to it at uni would want edexcel...anyone wanting to studying things related to biology who really enjoyed the subject would want OCR.

Each exam board has benefits and drawbacks so it suits different people. I mean for example, if you hate essay writing and chose biology and your exam board was AQA well you have to do an essay in your final exam and that's not great for you.

Oh fair enough, so do you think Uni's should then show some recognition to people doing say OCR.
Oh fair enough, so do you think Uni's should then show some recognition to people doing say OCR.

I believe they do actually. They understand that some exam boards are harder than others and do slightly favour that.

I can't promise that though :P
Reply 27
I believe they do actually. They understand that some exam boards are harder than others and do slightly favour that.

I can't promise that though :P

Never knew that :crossedf:
OCR
AQA
Edexcel

OCR
AQA
Edexcel
WJEC (so glad I live in Wales :biggrin:)
I think there should be.

And to combat the business side, each board gets given certain subjects.

Maths Edexcel
English AQA
Sciences OCR

Languages and History WJEC

Etc
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I think there should be.

And to combat the business side, each board gets given certain subjects.

Maths Edexcel
English AQA
Sciences OCR

Languages and History WJEC

Etc

That's a pretty good idea actually, but I recon the exam boards would all want maths and english
Original post by wightsnowolf
That's a pretty good idea actually, but I recon the exam boards would all want maths and english

yh thats true loads of students do maths english and science so the exam board with these students receive big money whereas the likes of i dont know a level polish or bengali only a handful of students do it. Exam boards would all want maths i think.
Original post by alanconnel
yh thats true loads of students do maths english and science so the exam board with these students receive big money whereas the likes of i dont know a level polish or bengali only a handful of students do it. Exam boards would all want maths i think.

In all, I think it would be much better for all the exam board to unite into one company - but I doubt that's very likely haha
Reply 33
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
OCR
AQA
Edexcel
WJEC (so glad I live in Wales :biggrin:)

WJEC can be done throughout the UK, at my school (which is in England) I think they did WJEC for biology and French a-level!

But yes I think one exam board would be the best, it just doesn't make sense that people are getting the same qualifications but have been taught different things!
Original post by _Kath
WJEC can be done throughout the UK, at my school (which is in England) I think they did WJEC for biology and French a-level!

Fair point :smile: still I imagine that a larger proportion of schools in Wales do WJEC than in England.

I guess the trade off for a nicer exam board is that Welsh students are subjected to the horror that is compulsory Welsh 2nd Language GCSE and the Welsh Baccalaureate at A-level!

Original post by L'Evil Fish
I think there should be.And to combat the business side, each board gets given certain subjects.Maths EdexcelEnglish AQASciences OCRLanguages and History WJECEtc

I wouldn't wish OCR B Advancing Physics upon my worst enemy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by wightsnowolf

But balance it all to keep numbers
So if you get maths, you only get maths, and wjec can have as many subjects to get the same number

Etc
I have just realised how unfair it is.

Forexample : OCR chemistry f324-the same unit for AQA and Edexcel was much much easier in comparison.

But if it's easier, then the UMS curve will be harsher, which in theory will essentially mean that if a candidate took both the papers and performed the same on the day, then they would get the same UMS mark on both. And since UMS marks are what some Unis look at, not raw marks, it does help to make it fair no matter which exam you take.
Original post by Donald Draper
But if it's easier, then the UMS curve will be harsher, which in theory will essentially mean that if a candidate took both the papers and performed the same on the day, then they would get the same UMS mark on both. And since UMS marks are what some Unis look at, not raw marks, it does help to make it fair no matter which exam you take.

But some boards could be more lenient with UMS than others.
Reply 38
Original post by Donald Draper

yeah but would you bet £100 that its accurate?
Reply 39
I think having multiple exam boards is incredibly important.

I studied Music Technology at both AS and A2. There is only 1 exam board for this subject which is EdExcel and they have a bit of a reputation for being a little lackluster. For example last year when i did my AS's they actually messed up the exam by sending the audio CD's in mono before proceeding to ask us about the stereo imaging of the songs. If there was more than one exam board it would force EdExcel to actually take the course seriously since they would have some form of competition. For comparison if we submitted our CD's containing music we made to the exam board we would have been absolutely hammered. But its not just that, there is no standardization in the marking of course work. Examiners could mark our work after listening to it through laptop speakers since there is no standard headphones. When we got a copy of the marking back we saw that the examiners had marked the work using words like "naff" which isn't really a technical term. There is also the fact that an examiner could give you less marks because they personally didn't enjoy the song that you produced. Every student in my school had their coursework marked by the same person and apparently that is common, so often schools will receive really low or high marks based entirely on who marked the school.

Since there is only 1 exam board all music tech students have to put up with the incompetence of the EdExcel ran course. Apparently many teachers have asked the other exam boards to start offering the course but they declined. This is why i think that having multiple exam boards is useful.

Evidence of the screw up: http://musictechstudent.co.uk/as-music-technology-exam/music-technology-may-2014-cd-issue-mono/

You could also list when OCR put some of the answers on the back of a music exam as another reason. When things like that happen multiple times they will usually switch exam board.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7414129.stm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending