The Student Room Group

illustration for 2016 entry

Scroll to see replies

I haven't sent mine off yet because my teacher recommended to wait until "mid-December" which I think counts as this week for me, so that I get a later interview. I will be sending off two foundation applications too! To two of the three same places im applying for degree. I'm just going to use all that they say as useful information, and trust the interviewer to tell me if I'm ready for a degree or not! I have come to terms with applying for a foundation year, so either way I'm excited, and if I do go the foundation route it will supply me a year to get used to print making processes which is something I've realised I really want to learn more about!!

Good luck to all of you that are applying! I hope it all goes well for you, and well done to those of you that have received offers/interviews already!!x
Reply 21
Original post by Natalia_Bee
Question to those, who apply to Falmouth - how are u going to find a job in place like this? I'm asking because I'm in love with that uni, but Falmouth itself seems to be in the middle of nowhere...

I am applying to Arts Uni Bournemouth, Norwich, Coventry, Lincoln and UWE Bristol. Are those unis good options? Please answer me, I am not from the UK and it's really hard for me to make a decision as I can't go to open days and I all I know comes from the Internet :/

There are loads of little shops and cafes in Falmouth that I'm sure you could get a job at, and there are always the surrounding towns that probably have job availabilities too

I also applied to AUB and Norwich so I can tell you that they are both really good Unis, I haven't looked at the others but I've heard that they are good :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by RamonaOrange
I haven't sent mine off yet because my teacher recommended to wait until "mid-December" which I think counts as this week for me, so that I get a later interview. I will be sending off two foundation applications too! To two of the three same places im applying for degree. I'm just going to use all that they say as useful information, and trust the interviewer to tell me if I'm ready for a degree or not! I have come to terms with applying for a foundation year, so either way I'm excited, and if I do go the foundation route it will supply me a year to get used to print making processes which is something I've realised I really want to learn more about!!

Good luck to all of you that are applying! I hope it all goes well for you, and well done to those of you that have received offers/interviews already!!x

Yeah I'm applying to two unis for foundation and I've already got an offer from a local art college to do a foundation year. Despite that, I still really just want to go straight into a degree! Your teacher is quite smart telling you to send your application off mid-december - I sent mine off earlier and I've got two interviews at the end of january and one at the beginning of Feb! so I've really had to rush to do a lot of work for my portfolio haha.
Don't know where to post this so sorry if it's out of place!
I'm applying for illustration at Falmouth, Brighton and UAB (Bournemouth) and looking for info on the experience of studying there; whether you have your own studio space, how many people share the room, the workload, and basically how enjoyable/stressed the experience is?

I've heard that at Brighton there's a massive room which all 150 illustration and graphics students share, which doesn't' sound like my ideal working environment....Haven't been able to get to any open days yet. so any info on the day to day reality (they don't tell you in the glossy prospectus) would be great. Thanks
Reply 24
Original post by Artmonkey
Don't know where to post this so sorry if it's out of place!
I'm applying for illustration at Falmouth, Brighton and UAB (Bournemouth) and looking for info on the experience of studying there; whether you have your own studio space, how many people share the room, the workload, and basically how enjoyable/stressed the experience is?

I've heard that at Brighton there's a massive room which all 150 illustration and graphics students share, which doesn't' sound like my ideal working environment....Haven't been able to get to any open days yet. so any info on the day to day reality (they don't tell you in the glossy prospectus) would be great. Thanks

I applied to and visited each of those unis too :smile:
Falmouth is definitely the best for studio space. They have a studio for each year and each person gets their own desk space for the whole year. From memory, I don't think you get your own studio space at brighton or AUB, but you'd have to ask someone else (I think I remember a lot of people having to share a studio space at brighton, but I'm not too sure)
Hope that helps a bit! I'm really hoping to get into Falmouth :smile: I had my interview there on the 23rd of january and they haven't got back to me yet so I'm stressing out haha
Original post by jordanamy
I applied to and visited each of those unis too :smile:
Falmouth is definitely the best for studio space. They have a studio for each year and each person gets their own desk space for the whole year. From memory, I don't think you get your own studio space at brighton or AUB, but you'd have to ask someone else (I think I remember a lot of people having to share a studio space at brighton, but I'm not too sure)
Hope that helps a bit! I'm really hoping to get into Falmouth :smile: I had my interview there on the 23rd of january and they haven't got back to me yet so I'm stressing out haha

Hi, thanks for the reply :smile:. I like the look of Falmouth too-the work coming out of there looks amazing and apparently you get more contact with tutors than at some of the others. Just wish it wasn't so far away.
Hope you get an offer! Did they say when they'll get back to you? I'm having a phone interview with them in a few weeks and I have no idea what they'll ask me!
Hey peeps! I'm applying for illustration at Hertfordshire, Derby, Worcester, Norwich and Southampton Solent. I was wondering if anyone else had the same choices.

Have any of you had interviews yet? :smile:
Original post by EmilyRoseSharp
Hey peeps! I'm applying for illustration at Hertfordshire, Derby, Worcester, Norwich and Southampton Solent. I was wondering if anyone else had the same choices.

I've applied for Derby, but still haven't heard anything about my portfolio.
Reply 28
Original post by EmilyRoseSharp

I had an interview at Norwich a couple of weeks ago and got an offer a few days after :smile: the university and area are really nice, although it's probably my 2nd/3rd choice
Has anyone sent off their online portfolios or got any interviews yet?
I've got an interview for Norwich in January and I sent Falmouth my e-portfolio this morning - I'm so nervous because they're my first choice !!

Edinburgh received my online portfolio in December but still haven't contacted me for an interview :/
I applied to brighton, falmouth, AUB bournemouth, and Norwich.Brighton: the area seemed like the best place to live. the university felt like a hospital and the studio space seemed kinda cramped. there were one on one interviews. the interviewer was really up her own ass about the reputation and kept asking me about sound art. she also kept talking about how my work was weak because i didnt do foundation. I felt like my interview went really poorly as i asked her one question and she was expecting me to ask more but i drew a blank. all the other applicants had brighton as their first choice though. seems like a reputable with alumni doing pretty interesting workFalmouth: the area didnt seem great but kinda quiet. however i didnt really explore the town much so... the studio space was really great, a table for every student from first to 3rd year. there were 4 interviews. each were 5 mins long and they talked about what is illustration, why falmouth, what inspires you etc. https://www.falmouth.ac.uk/interview-information/illustration see link for questions. the interview went quite well. one of the interviewers grilled me a bit when she asked me to define illustration. (illustration has a brief, fine art doesnt) the uni seems to advertise with the penryn campus a lot but doesnt really show case the falmouth campus which is much smaller. Falmouth has a really strong reputation and is probably my first/second choice.Norwich: the area seemed like a nice place to live. kinda like my own town. The studio space is really modern but im not sure if theres assigned space for year 1. the interview went well. the interviewer was really friendly and it was clear that he had a passion for illustration and teaching. i asked him where would he like to be in 10 years time and he said that he would like to continue teaching. i guess that shows that hes not some failure whose gone to teach in order to make money but genuinely likes it. also is probably my first/second choice.AUB: i went to the open day but i felt like the place was modern but really small. there wasnt dedicated studio space and you had to share a table with other people. i cancelled my interview for themWinchester: I applied for graphic arts. the area is quite and small, okay i guess. the interview went really well. it was 30 min interview which was nice for a change. i got to go through my whole portfolio as well as ask lots of questions.I havent done foundation but have been accepted for Norwich, brighton (suprisingly) and falmouth. Maybe its because im asian and they want to keep it diverse? lol jk. Good Luck in all your interviews.
Reply 31
Original post by Phuckwit
I applied to brighton, falmouth, AUB bournemouth, and Norwich.Brighton: the area seemed like the best place to live. the university felt like a hospital and the studio space seemed kinda cramped. there were one on one interviews. the interviewer was really up her own ass about the reputation and kept asking me about sound art. she also kept talking about how my work was weak because i didnt do foundation. I felt like my interview went really poorly as i asked her one question and she was expecting me to ask more but i drew a blank. all the other applicants had brighton as their first choice though. seems like a reputable with alumni doing pretty interesting workFalmouth: the area didnt seem great but kinda quiet. however i didnt really explore the town much so... the studio space was really great, a table for every student from first to 3rd year. there were 4 interviews. each were 5 mins long and they talked about what is illustration, why falmouth, what inspires you etc. https://www.falmouth.ac.uk/interview-information/illustration see link for questions. the interview went quite well. one of the interviewers grilled me a bit when she asked me to define illustration. (illustration has a brief, fine art doesnt) the uni seems to advertise with the penryn campus a lot but doesnt really show case the falmouth campus which is much smaller. Falmouth has a really strong reputation and is probably my first/second choice.Norwich: the area seemed like a nice place to live. kinda like my own town. The studio space is really modern but im not sure if theres assigned space for year 1. the interview went well. the interviewer was really friendly and it was clear that he had a passion for illustration and teaching. i asked him where would he like to be in 10 years time and he said that he would like to continue teaching. i guess that shows that hes not some failure whose gone to teach in order to make money but genuinely likes it. also is probably my first/second choice.AUB: i went to the open day but i felt like the place was modern but really small. there wasnt dedicated studio space and you had to share a table with other people. i cancelled my interview for themWinchester: I applied for graphic arts. the area is quite and small, okay i guess. the interview went really well. it was 30 min interview which was nice for a change. i got to go through my whole portfolio as well as ask lots of questions.I havent done foundation but have been accepted for Norwich, brighton (suprisingly) and falmouth. Maybe its because im asian and they want to keep it diverse? lol jk. Good Luck in all your interviews.

That's cool! I've also got offers from Norwich and Brighton and I'm still waiting for Falmouth to get back to me. Which one d'you think you're going to choose as your firm choice? If I get an offer from Falmouth then I'll go there, if not then probably Brighton, even though Norwich is really nice
Original post by Phuckwit
Norwich: the area seemed like a nice place to live. kinda like my own town. The studio space is really modern but im not sure if theres assigned space for year 1. the interview went well. the interviewer was really friendly and it was clear that he had a passion for illustration and teaching. i asked him where would he like to be in 10 years time and he said that he would like to continue teaching. i guess that shows that hes not some failure whose gone to teach in order to make money but genuinely likes it. also is probably my first/second choice

Weird question, but do you remember the name of your interviewer? I met a really nice tutor from Norwich on a concept art course and it would be pretty funny if it was the same one!
I've set up an FB group for anyone that's had an offer for the Brighton Illustration course.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1690892431158463/

Come say hi.
Original post by whydocowsfall
Weird question, but do you remember the name of your interviewer? I met a really nice tutor from Norwich on a concept art course and it would be pretty funny if it was the same one!

mine was neil bousfield, he lectures for illustration so i doubt we got the same one
That's cool! I've also got offers from Norwich and Brighton and I'm still waiting for Falmouth to get back to me. Which one d'you think you're going to choose as your firm choice? If I get an offer from Falmouth then I'll go there, if not then probably Brighton, even though Norwich is really nice

Most likely will choose falmouth but i really like norwich too
Reply 36
Just got an offer from Falmouth !!!!!!!! after nearly two months of waiting:s-smilie: I'm so happy
Reply 37
Does anyone know about Cambridge college Art at Anglia Ruskin University. Have got an offer from them for the BA (Hons) illustration and am excited. I live in India and have never been to Cambridge and have no idea how good the school is or the course there. I've also applied to Bournemouth but seems real far away.
Original post by RamonaOrange
Hey! I've been thinking about applying for Illustration next year too, but haven't been able to decide on if I want to do a Foundation year first or not - I have a thread on here with lots of advice from people about that - and so I'm going to discuss everything with my art teacher in September. I live in Yorkshire and was hoping to apply to places around here, like Leeds, Huddersfield, Manchester and Sheffield, although I'm considering slightly further away!

At the moment I'm working on a summer gallery book which is part of my unit 3 a level coursework that we were set to do over summer, where I'm drawing studies of other artists work in galleries I've been visiting! I know I'll include life drawing in my portfolio, but if thats work from last year or work I create this year in life drawing enrichment at college I'm unsure just yet. We had some advice in a session led by a University of Leeds art teacher who recommended including life drawing and things but not too much - people have a tendency to include everything but that's overwhelming and shows a lack of editing! So I guess you need to hit a balance? I'd say for illustration showing you can work with colour well and narrative is probably really helpful. And they also mentioned to include photos of larger work or 3D work rather than bringing it to interview!

Hope this helps in any way? I'd love to chat more with other people wanting to do illustration :smile:

Hello, I've read that you'd love to chat with other people wanting to do illustration. I'm doing illustration in September 2016. Did you start uni last year? Or are you starting this year too? :smile:
does anyone here read Varoom magazine?

Quick Reply

Latest