The Student Room Group

Dry eye upon waking

Recently my left eye is very dry upon waking in the morning, to the point that I can feel it scratching against my eyelid if I move it around with my eyelid closed, due to the lack of lubrication. My eyes never have this problem during waking hours, quite the opposite, they tend to water heavily when exposed to the wind, especially in the cold.

There are no environmental changes that I have noticed, and even if there were I don't believe it would explain the dryness being in one eye rather than the other. Something to be concerned over, or one of those minor malfunctions that wear off/cause no major damage?
Reply 1
Sorry but I have no idea. It sounds like some problem with your eyelid, it is supposed to keep your eye lubricated, especially while you sleep. You should get your tear ducts checked. My adivce is a visit to your GP, to avoid any permanent damage to your eye.
Reply 2
:ditto: ;doctor;
You could try some eye drops from the chemist and see if they help, failing that I'd go to the GP.
Reply 4
You might need to see a GP anyway, because your eyes ought to be watering automatically. You could try asking NHS Direct on 0845 46 47. They will be able to advise the best course of action. :smile:
You may need some artifical tear drops

Latest

Trending

Trending