The Student Room Group

I’m worried that this is micro-cheating

I’m worried that this is micro-cheating, and micro cheating is plain cheating for me

I was at the opticians. The optometrist was making conversation with me and asking about my career, goals etc. I responded and we were having a conversation. I found that to be very friendly and immediately liked him platonically as a person/optometrist. If I dig deeper into my feelings, being fully honest with myself with the hard truth, I think I liked him too. In the context of cheating strictly, that’s fine, as long as you don’t act upon it

Where the micro-cheating might’ve happened was when I was picking glasses. I always seek to be attentive and listen to people when they talk. A consequence of that, is that I look at people in the eyes and express emotion through my eyes. I was picking out glasses and I was stuck deciding between two particular ones. We were making conversation after that (he was a very kind optometrist, it’s a good quality), about which glasses look better on me, how I’m indicisive but he’s more indicisive than me, etc. I was looking into his his eyes and being attentive as I always do when I talk to a stranger for long periods of time. Then the vibe gradually changed. He started looking at me in the eyes too, but it didn’t feel platonic, it felt flirty. It’s not the act itself of looking into eyes, it’s the aura; maybe that’s not flirty, but I can’t find another word for it. If you compare how I was with the female worker there compared to the male worker, you would definitely find a difference in my behaviour in this moment; my behaviour with the optometrist being more friendly and the type eye contact

I can’t control what he does, I can only control what I do. However, I think my eye contact changed to a flirty gaze too

So to summarise: I formed a romantic emotional connection to thin, was extra friendly to this guy I was attracted to compared to the female worker, and we exchanged, uh, flirty looks? For about 2/3 minutes if you take away the interruptions

I don’t know if I’m overthinking the whole thing as I have overthinking tendencies. Please be honest with me
Original post by Anonymous
I’m worried that this is micro-cheating, and micro cheating is plain cheating for me

I was at the opticians. The optometrist was making conversation with me and asking about my career, goals etc. I responded and we were having a conversation. I found that to be very friendly and immediately liked him platonically as a person/optometrist. If I dig deeper into my feelings, being fully honest with myself with the hard truth, I think I liked him too. In the context of cheating strictly, that’s fine, as long as you don’t act upon it

Where the micro-cheating might’ve happened was when I was picking glasses. I always seek to be attentive and listen to people when they talk. A consequence of that, is that I look at people in the eyes and express emotion through my eyes. I was picking out glasses and I was stuck deciding between two particular ones. We were making conversation after that (he was a very kind optometrist, it’s a good quality), about which glasses look better on me, how I’m indicisive but he’s more indicisive than me, etc. I was looking into his his eyes and being attentive as I always do when I talk to a stranger for long periods of time. Then the vibe gradually changed. He started looking at me in the eyes too, but it didn’t feel platonic, it felt flirty. It’s not the act itself of looking into eyes, it’s the aura; maybe that’s not flirty, but I can’t find another word for it. If you compare how I was with the female worker there compared to the male worker, you would definitely find a difference in my behaviour in this moment; my behaviour with the optometrist being more friendly and the type eye contact

I can’t control what he does, I can only control what I do. However, I think my eye contact changed to a flirty gaze too

So to summarise: I formed a romantic emotional connection to thin, was extra friendly to this guy I was attracted to compared to the female worker, and we exchanged, uh, flirty looks? For about 2/3 minutes if you take away the interruptions

I don’t know if I’m overthinking the whole thing as I have overthinking tendencies. Please be honest with me

Massive overthinking. It's nothing.
Reply 2
Six paragraphs and you failed to nention a partner, so on whom are you cheating?
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
Six paragraphs and you failed to nention a partner, so on whom are you cheating?

My boyfriend
My boyfriend

So if it was your bf who did this with an optician, you'd dump him???
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
So if it was your bf who did this with an optician, you'd dump him???

Not dump, more like be upset and tell him to control himself more. I have high standards of loyalty- very hypocritical, I will be better. I will definitely reduce my male interactions now with anyone who isn’t a classmate or a coworker, the guilt can’t leave my mind
Whole idea of 'micro cheating' is just silly tbh, why literally make up problems for yourself? If you're going to stand there and claim 'micro cheating is just plain cheating' then it's hard to see how you can go through life without doing it - daft situation and shows you have no sense of scale.
Reply 7

Love these threads, so you make a distinction between cheating and microcheating (your title), then say you think they are the same thing. Next you will be offering numerous subgroups of eye contact...no wait you did that already.

Flirting is a normal part of life, you are in for a very unhappy and possessive series of relationships if you think it can and should be avoided.

Take care,

Greg
(edited 6 months ago)
Not dump, more like be upset and tell him to control himself more. I have high standards of loyalty- very hypocritical, I will be better. I will definitely reduce my male interactions now with anyone who isn’t a classmate or a coworker, the guilt can’t leave my mind

Assuming that this is all true (why would the optician himself fit your glasses?) then I genuinely feel sorry for your boyfriend. What do you do when he wakes up with morning wood? Interrogate him about his dreams?
Reply 9
Original post by ageshallnot
Assuming that this is all true (why would the optician himself fit your glasses?) then I genuinely feel sorry for your boyfriend. What do you do when he wakes up with morning wood? Interrogate him about his dreams?

Hmm I called him optometrist but I’m not sure exactly what he is. Trainee optometrist maybe? Not that it matters
I'm guessing your relationship must be very bland to develop such detailed fantasies about issues in it.
Reply 11
Original post by artful_lounger
I'm guessing your relationship must be very bland to develop such detailed fantasies about issues in it.

Or as I clarified for you to not guess, I’m an overthinker. Thank you for your reply
Reply 12

What's wrong with being slightly flirty. A friendly flirt is OK. I bet your BF knows you are like that.
Talk to him about it. Show that you feel guilty for that and see his reaction.
Reply 13
You can still fancy other people when you’re in a relationship and some mild everyday sociable flirting is ok too. If you’re contemplating monthly eye checkups going forward then it may be straying in to micro cheating if not the full blown thing
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 14
'micro cheating' is something manufactured by counsellors to get mugs through the door for couples sessions.

Good grief.
So looking a little intensely into an optician’s eyes is the same to you as him taking you into the back room and cúmming balls deep inside your puss?? Tell me you’re joking. In any case micro-cheating isn’t real, just like micro-aggressions are something fake too made up by wokies.
(edited 6 months ago)
Probably going to struggle to maintain a healthy relationship if you consider the 'aura' associated with looking in someone's eyes as cheating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending