The Student Room Group

Edexcel: S3 or D1?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Muttley79
I very much doubt that your opinion is more 'experienced and informed' than mine - I've seen thousands of pupils through A level.

The current D1 syllabus for most exam boards is very much a hit or miss opportunity that demands very little mathematical challenge compared to the other applications. I am not implying it is too easy or has no use in the real world. I am simply saying that as far as Mathematics under the current specification stands, it is not compatible with the rest of the syllabus. That is my view.

Regardless though, there is honestly no need to have that arrogant 'You're wrong' attitude. Your perspective isn't any more superior than anyone else's.
Original post by Gwaine
The current D1 syllabus for most exam boards is very much a hit or miss opportunity that demands very little mathematical challenge compared to the other applications. I am not implying it is too easy or has no use in the real world. I am simply saying that as far as Mathematics under the current specification stands, it is not compatible with the rest of the syllabus. That is my view.

Regardless though, there is honestly no need to have that arrogant 'You're wrong' attitude. Your perspective isn't any more superior than anyone else's.

What is your experience of mathematics to make that judgement?

The content of D1 is taught at degree level and it is only time constraints that mean the questions are rather simple but that does not mean it should be ditched anymore than C1 should be.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Hey guys, I need to pick my sixth FM module and I can't pick between D1 or S3. Both look like a drag, to be honest, but my teacher says D1 is a riskier exam and it proves to be of no use learning. Any advice?

I've done both :smile:

I cannot remember a huge amount of S3, but unless you're going to do something that involves stats (Econometrics etc) then I don't think the unit is particularly useful, and I've got to say I think S4 is easier than S3, and D1 is also easier than S3.

D1 is a risky exam, but I think content wise S3 is more difficult, as is the exam.

I actually found D1 to be useful and relevant to some of one of my first year Maths modules at uni, and in the third year there's an option to do with graphs and networks (covered in D1) which I am definitely taking if it's still offered. It's a nice break from the cores and somewhat interesting, but tedious.

Do what you think will interest you, that's probably the one you'll do better in.
This just left me even more confused

Quick Reply

Latest