The Student Room Group

Final Year Of My BTEC & Results.

Hey All,

Just finished Year 12, and completed two Subsidary Diplomas (Level 3) at D* (marked by my teachers, still not sure if they have been verified). My question is that when I am doing my last year next year, which will be the National Diploma, will there be a Results day next year, as I would have applied to university's through UCAS earlier in the year. This is why i am wondering if there is a official results day next year because there wasn't really one for year 12 (or is there i don't know?) And i need to know this so i can call university's up as soon as results come out, its just like how a level students have a set date and call up unis on that same day to see if they get into there offered places of choice.

I do Btec Applied Science, and Btec IT. Year 12 - Subsidary Diploma, Year 13 - National Diploma. They are equivalent to 4 A-levels a the end of the two year course.
Reply 1
Hey! Their is no set results day for BTEC students, it's purely dependant on when your tutor submits your final grades to the exam board (Edexcel), and when they authorise the results to make it official with a certificate. As soon as they do that, your results are sent directly to the universities that you have chosen as your firm and insurance, with a change in your offer from conditional to unconditional, or if god forbids, you were to miss the grades and they weren't able to offer a place, a decision to be made on that.

This thread may help give you a few ideas: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2975029&x=9&y=6
Reply 2
Original post by iRaii
Hey! Their is no set results day for BTEC students, it's purely dependant on when your tutor submits your final grades to the exam board (Edexcel), and when they authorise the results to make it official with a certificate. As soon as they do that, your results are sent directly to the universities that you have chosen as your firm and insurance, with a change in your offer from conditional to unconditional, or if god forbids, you were to miss the grades and they weren't able to offer a place, a decision to be made on that.

This thread may help give you a few ideas: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2975029&x=9&y=6

Thanks allot for the reply. Another question btw, how come everyone on this BTEC thread have like 3 grades? and are doing the Extended Diploma? Because im in a british college abroad and they only offer Subsidary diploma in year 12 and a National Diploma in Year 13 if you progress further. Are National Diplomas same as Extended? Because i have been told i will come out with 4 A-level equivalent grades at the end of year 13. Wouldnt that then be 4 grade? For example if i was to get D* D* D* D* (2 grades in year 12 and 2 in year 13).
Original post by Deeboss
Thanks allot for the reply. Another question btw, how come everyone on this BTEC thread have like 3 grades? and are doing the Extended Diploma? Because im in a british college abroad and they only offer Subsidary diploma in year 12 and a National Diploma in Year 13 if you progress further. Are National Diplomas same as Extended? Because i have been told i will come out with 4 A-level equivalent grades at the end of year 13. Wouldnt that then be 4 grade? For example if i was to get D* D* D* D* (2 grades in year 12 and 2 in year 13).

All level 3 BTEC qualifications are known as Nationals and there are 5 types of BTEC Nationals.

BTEC Level 3 Certificate = 0.5 A Level (AS) (30 Credits)
BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma = 1 A Level (60 Credits)
BTEC Level 3 90-credit Diploma = 1.5 A Levels (90 Credits)
BTEC Level 3 Diploma = 2 A Levels (120 Credits)
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma = 3 A Levels (180 Credits)

A National Diploma and National Extended Diploma are different, as you can see from above, the Extended Diploma is worth one more A level and has more credits (units).

It depends upon your situation, if you are doing a 1 year Subsidiary Diploma and then a 2 year Extended Diploma, you would have 4 grades but two qualifications. I would have thought it more likely that you are doing a 90-credit Diploma in year one and in year two you would complete the reaming 90 credits to make an Extended Diploma (180 credits)
Reply 4
Original post by IamLiquid
All level 3 BTEC qualifications are known as Nationals and there are 5 types of BTEC Nationals.

BTEC Level 3 Certificate = 0.5 A Level (AS) (30 Credits)
BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma = 1 A Level (60 Credits)
BTEC Level 3 90-credit Diploma = 1.5 A Levels (90 Credits)
BTEC Level 3 Diploma = 2 A Levels (120 Credits)
BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma = 3 A Levels (180 Credits)

A National Diploma and National Extended Diploma are different, as you can see from above, the Extended Diploma is worth one more A level and has more credits (units).

It depends upon your situation, if you are doing a 1 year Subsidiary Diploma and then a 2 year Extended Diploma, you would have 4 grades but two qualifications. I would have thought it more likely that you are doing a 90-credit Diploma in year one and in year two you would complete the reaming 90 credits to make an Extended Diploma (180 credits)

No I am doing a 1 Year Subsidary in Year 12, and then progressing further onto a Diploma in year 13. That is why I have been told i will have 4 A-levels. Ive done two BTECS in year 12 and il do 2 more in (same subject) Year 13. So two A-level equivalent grades in year 12 and two more in year 13. That makes it 4 A-level equivalent grades. Am i correct im not sure now myself? Can i still get into university?
Reply 5
Original post by Deeboss
No I am doing a 1 Year Subsidary in Year 12, and then progressing further onto a Diploma in year 13. That is why I have been told i will have 4 A-levels. Ive done two BTECS in year 12 and il do 2 more in (same subject) Year 13. So two A-level equivalent grades in year 12 and two more in year 13. That makes it 4 A-level equivalent grades. Am i correct im not sure now myself? Can i still get into university?

you do the subsids in year 12 and then as you do more credits (year 13) they get topped up to diplomas
Reply 6
Original post by Deeboss

It's basically what yt7777 said - you've completed two subsidiary diplomas this year which is equivalent to a grade each. Then, you're going to study the national diplomas which replaces the subsidiary diplomas. A national diploma is worth two grades however you're going to do two national diplomas, therefore obtaining four grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending