The Student Room Group

Reporting Fake Volunteering Abroad

Hi,

I was wondering where I can report a fake volunteering company? I don't want to disclose the name just yet but they've been horrible. The experience is nothing like what was mentioned and I don't feel like I've helped at all and I feel like they've just mugged us of our money. I don't believe they took us to any of the mentioned projects either.

Apparently the company doesn't exist anymore yet theyre still taking on volunteers using the name (there aren't many of us and one girl I met at the "project" told us this company ended last year and makes sense cos theres no other volunteers!), its very unorganised and they're avoiding questions such as where the money is going etc. I believe they are a UK based company.

Any idea where I can get some help?
As far as I know there's no "regulator" of these things so you can't formally "report" them to anybody but what you can do is:

post reviews of your experience on websites and Facebook groups

start a Wordpress or Blogspot blog detailing your experience and naming the company

tell the press (if the national press aren't interested talk to your local papers)

And you might as well start by naming them here so as to warn off others!
Reply 2
Can I not report them for fraud?

Its false advertising and how can they use a companies name to promote themselves even though that company has supposedly closed?

I just dont want them to get away with this
Original post by fluxyfloo
Can I not report them for fraud?

Its false advertising and how can they use a companies name to promote themselves even though that company has supposedly closed?

I just dont want them to get away with this

That's very complicated. They may have set up a very similarly-named company. The original company may still exist.

They probably haven't committed fraud but if you feel you have been provided with a shabby service then the people to talk to are the Trading Standards department of your local council. Give them a call in the morning and explain your situation.

You can use websites like www.duedil.com to search companies and see who their directors are, where they are registered, and whether they are trading/suspended/dissolved.
Reply 4
Nah, theyre using the same company but I don't really know whats going on, their Facebook is pretty amateur and not professional at all.

Apparently the volunteers before didnt do much either? They're literally shifting us from place to place and theres no-one from the organisation here and theyve left us with a different volunteering company called UVP.

I dont know what to do
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending