The Student Room Group

What AS-level should I choose?

Hi! I just finished my AS- levels and I am going onto my A2-levels in Biology, Chemistry, and Maths. I want to study Biomedical sciences at a Russell Group university (hopefully). I am going to pick up a AS-level this year, but I don't know what to pick up? I know physics and further maths is preferred for my course that I want to do, but I don't think that they would be suitable for me (as I am not very good at either one), and I already have three of the "facilitating subjects" that most unis require. I honestly have no idea what to do for a AS this year though. Does anyone have any AS ideas that I could choose from which unis would prefer, other than physics and further maths?

Thank you
Original post by francrwe
Hi! I just finished my AS- levels and I am going onto my A2-levels in Biology, Chemistry, and Maths. I want to study Biomedical sciences at a Russell Group university (hopefully). I am going to pick up a AS-level this year, but I don't know what to pick up? I know physics and further maths is preferred for my course that I want to do, but I don't think that they would be suitable for me (as I am not very good at either one), and I already have three of the "facilitating subjects" that most unis require. I honestly have no idea what to do for a AS this year though. Does anyone have any AS ideas that I could choose from which unis would prefer, other than physics and further maths?

Thank you

Honestly, I'd do one that you're interested in and enjoy. With the other three subjects being A2, you might end up prioritising them and neglecting your AS subject if it's one that you don't enjoy. Pick one that you enjoy and you won't mind doing it alongside your A2s.

Also, with three facilitating subjects, all of which are desired by Russell Group unis and biomed courses, you can afford to do an AS that you enjoy, AND quite a lot of unis prefer it if you're fourth subject is contrasting because it shows that you can handle all dynamics of work, not just academically challenging subjects.

My friend was in exactly the same boat as you when picking his AS subjects before Year 12, and went for Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Food Tech, and as far as I'm aware he finds Food Tech one of the hardest but most enjoyable. He's applying for medicine but his fifth choice is biomed as you can only apply to four medicine courses on UCAS.

Long story short, pick one that you enjoy and that you'll be motivated to study. You already have three facilitating subjects, four would be a struggle. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by dlwilson97
Honestly, I'd do one that you're interested in and enjoy. With the other three subjects being A2, you might end up prioritising them and neglecting your AS subject if it's one that you don't enjoy. Pick one that you enjoy and you won't mind doing it alongside your A2s.

Also, with three facilitating subjects, all of which are desired by Russell Group unis and biomed courses, you can afford to do an AS that you enjoy, AND quite a lot of unis prefer it if you're fourth subject is contrasting because it shows that you can handle all dynamics of work, not just academically challenging subjects.

My friend was in exactly the same boat as you when picking his AS subjects before Year 12, and went for Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Food Tech, and as far as I'm aware he finds Food Tech one of the hardest but most enjoyable. He's applying for medicine but his fifth choice is biomed as you can only apply to four medicine courses on UCAS.

Long story short, pick one that you enjoy and that you'll be motivated to study. You already have three facilitating subjects, four would be a struggle. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm going to take your advice and I will pick something that I'll actually enjoy :smile::h:

Quick Reply

Latest