The Student Room Group

Should I retake or pick up a new A level?

I got ABBE for my AS results yesterday, the E was expected so I wasn't too bothered about that.

I got an E in Law as I hated the subject and I wanted to drop it anyway, it's also not relevant to my future at all as I want to study English in university. However the courses that I want to do in uni all want English Literature but I took English Language.

Is it worth picking up A level English Literature and trying to do it in one year, so I would be doing 4 A levels, or should I retake the law exam that made me fail. As I got a A in one and a U in the other.
Original post by wintervevo
I got ABBE for my AS results yesterday, the E was expected so I wasn't too bothered about that.

I got an E in Law as I hated the subject and I wanted to drop it anyway, it's also not relevant to my future at all as I want to study English in university. However the courses that I want to do in uni all want English Literature but I took English Language.

Is it worth picking up A level English Literature and trying to do it in one year, so I would be doing 4 A levels, or should I retake the law exam that made me fail. As I got a A in one and a U in the other.

Hi wintervevo,

First of all congratulations on great results! Great to hear that you're looking to study English Literature. I'm a third year Lit student.

The good news is that some unis are looking for English literature or language. I know that Kingston look for the following

Single honours:

Units: to include two A-levels or equivalent

Subject: A-level English Literature, English Literature and Language or similar, grade B (100 points) required

Basically they're looking to see that you have a good grounding of English, after all the two are very closely linked and everyone learns something different at A Level. Remember you also have your personal statement to shine and say why you want to study literature and how studying language will help you with your degree.

If you would like any info about studying English Literature in general or specifically at Kingston please feel free to ask me by replying to this message.

Wishing you all the best!
Chloe :smile:
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest