The Student Room Group

Which one? A Uni which is better on paper or a Uni which I'd enjoy more?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by callum_law
Funny how it's the people at non-RG unis who say RG unis don't matter ...

Who ya kidding?

I went to two RG universities and I agree with them.
OP teaching standards aren't even higher, they're actually probably lower because professors are tangled up in "big important research". When will kids realize that university ranking only applies to research and means sweet FA if you're an undergrad.
Original post by Plutonian
I went to two RG universities and I agree with them.
OP teaching standards aren't even higher, they're actually probably lower because professors are tangled up in "big important research". When will kids realize that university ranking only applies to research and means sweet FA if you're an undergrad.

Because professors at Herfordshire aren't invested in their research? What a nonsensical thing to say. And you're the first person in this thread to have been RG-educated and offering opinion on RG-education. You have not clearly elucidated what your position is, but you're the first person with a degree of inside knowledge. What you have here is one person from OU who hasn't even started yet saying ranking does not matter to employment prospects, and someone from RHUL who misuses "your" saying RG doesn't matter -- both of whom told by people who attended non-RG unis that RG unis don't matter. These memes need to be dispelled. There is no difference between 15th ranked and the 10th ranked, no, but there is a huge difference between the 10th and the 50th. To say there isn't is a lie.
Reply 22
Because professors at Herfordshire aren't invested in their research? What a nonsensical thing to say. And you're the first person in this thread to have been RG-educated and offering opinion on RG-education. You have not clearly elucidated what your position is, but you're the first person with a degree of inside knowledge. What you have here is one person from OU who hasn't even started yet saying ranking does not matter to employment prospects, and someone from RHUL who misuses "your" saying RG doesn't matter -- both of whom told by people who attended non-RG unis that RG unis don't matter. These memes need to be dispelled. There is no difference between 15th ranked and the 10th ranked, no, but there is a huge difference between the 10th and the 50th. To say there isn't is a lie.

They don't do as much research as say Imperial, this is obvious.
Explain to me what the difference is? In both you get a room full of books and a and another with a bearded guy waffling on for an hour.
It's up to you OP. If it matters to you that you go to a RG uni then you should go, if not go with the second option. Just make sure that you're comfortable with the final decision and that it is not somebody-else's.

Russell Group unis tend to undergo lots of additional high quality research meaning that they bring in more money. This can have a big impact on the facilities available to an undergraduate, for example, the labs might have invested in a particularly cutting edge piece of kit that can be used by undergrads. Aside from that, the lecturers are likely to be engaged in research of high quality meaning that you're being taught by someone who really knows what they're talking about. This may differ from a non RG uni where someone courses hire professional lecturers vs. research academics (the former of which might actually be better at teaching than a research academic tbh).

That's not to say that these things aren't offered at non RG unis, but rather that they appear with greater frequency within the RG.

Aside from that, unless you're applying for something like law you won't be held back because of going to a non RG uni. Non RG unis actually leap up the league tables all time so your uni might retrospectively increase in prestige.
Funny how it's the people at non-RG unis who say RG unis don't matter ...

Who ya kidding?

So you honestly think that when you come to look for a job, employers are going to care that You went to a rg?

You'll have a nice surprise. Experience > portfolio > degree > soft skills > degree modules

No one cares what rank the uni was or whether it is rg.

Just so you know I did go to a campus university (Sussex) but dropped out after my first year. I made friends who I still keep in contact with today, and my year graduated in 2013. Some of my friends are unemployed, some are volunteering, a few have landed internships but most have settled for low-skilled work (one girl in particular has a first in English but works at Costa Coffee, writing for free in her spare time). I'm not saying going to a "top university" is pointless, it isn't, but it gets hyped up far too much on this website. In the real world, employers aren't overly interested in where you went to university. Of course, some select employers may sift through applications looking for Oxbridge/Top 10 graduates, but they are usually at highly elite companies and most graduates won't be applying for such lucrative jobs.

In the real world, your choice of shoes on the day of interview probably make more of an impression than whether you went to a university ranked 20th or 45th.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but as someone who landed a good job at a good school without a degree, I think I can safely say that one's personality and general performance on the day is of upmost importance when securing a good job.
Original post by Dalightfool

I forgot Sussex was RG.

I reiterate my point that people (like you) say things like ranking does not matter after having studied at places which are ranked quite poorly. Naturally, you are going to be quite biased and then resort to making arguments which aren't persuasive based on anecdotes (my friend Sue works at McDonald's and has a first) and fallacies of composition (people with firsts generally work at places like McDonald's). It won't do. There's a very good reason why the best paying companies recruit from the top 10-15 and it goes beyond them having nice shoes. It has to do with such people getting excellent grades at level 2, level 3 and then being granted admission to a university which is highly academic and intellectually demanding.
(edited 8 years ago)
I forgot Sussex was RG.

I reiterate my point that people (like you) say things like ranking does not matter after having studied at places which are ranked quite poorly. Naturally, you are going to be quite biased and then resort to making arguments which aren't persuasive based on anecdotes ("my friend Sue works at McDonald's and has a first":wink: and fallacies of composition ("people with firsts generally work at places like McDonald's":wink:. It won't do. There's a very good reason why the best paying companies recruit from the top 10-15 and it goes beyond them having nice shoes. It has to do with such people getting excellent grades at level 2, level 3 and then being granted admission to a university which is highly academic and intellectually demanding.

Sussex is a ranked 14th or 25th in the UK depending on the league table you choose to peruse. Internationally it is comfortably top 200. It's also part of the 1994 group (similar to RG). Essentially, it's considered a very good place to get a degree, through the lense of academia, at least.

If you think I am making stuff up about Sue and Lou and whoever else, then fine by me. All it shows me is that you really do not have a clue about the real world. You are in for a big shock when you graduate: there basically aren't enough graduate jobs to go around, and people who fill them tend to have work experience. So, while "Sue" may be working in Costa Coffee now, if she were to compete against you for a job in the future, her work experience (low-skilled nonetheless) would massively boost her chances over yours. Finally, you seem like a fairly immature person who has a lot of growing up to do - that will be your biggest challenge in securing a good job. Adults tend to enjoy working with other adults, not immature people who are cocky and feel a sense of entitlement just because they went to a particular university.

The 1994 group is similar to the RG in the same way the University Alliance is similar to the Ivy League.

To be honest, I don't really care too much if you think I am immature. As I won't be apply to Tesco's North West assistant manager programme, your willingness to work with me is irrelevant. And where did you ever get Lou from? You truly are making stuff up.

Just so you know Callum. although you quip about me "not having started yet", does not mean anything, I was doing stuff that would give you nightmares at 18, whilst all my friends and family went to uni. And guess what, all of those friends that went to York, Durham, Warwick, all struggled just as much as those who went to rhul, London met and Plymouth.

It had nothing to do with uni, but because they were still 20 something students who knew nothing about the real world. Much like yourself.

Having been to conferences, and spoke to multiple employers and interviewers, the uni you go to means absolutely nothing, unless your talking Oxbridge.

The only job adverts I've ever seen that specifically asked for a particular uni either asked for Oxbridge only candidates, or more interestingly, rhul only cyber security Msc applicants.
The 1994 group is similar to the RG in the same way the University Alliance is similar to the Ivy League.
Well done for lasting this long. I am a little naive when it comes to internet trolls (and you just never know on TSR) so you got me there...

You're actually quite funny, but tone down some of your other more serious views because they will quickly have you labelled a massive bellend.
Original post by tim_123

You see, both you and the OU prospective student assume to patronise me. You think I am 18-year-old whose only achievement in life is performing well academically and think I have never worked a day in my life. I was not 18 when I went to uni and have worked in the real world a lot harder than you, I'd guess; your attempts to condescend will not work.

People often say that the university you attend does not matter, including recruitment consultants. Indeed, it does not matter for many low-skilled jobs and some highly skilled jobs requiring vocational degrees. But for great many graduate jobs, the thing many people go to university in order to qualify for, academic achievement carries a whole lot of sway. It's not everything, but it does carry sway. I assume you heard about that Aldi grad job which is £42,000pa with a whole range of benefits -- they did not make their offer so ludicrously lucrative to tempt people from Sunderland University to apply, for example; they want only the best from top-tier RG. It's really a twofold thing of performing poorly at L3 which allows one only to go to universities like Sunderland and the university itself not having the highest of academic standards so the degree classification the applicant has is dubious.
Original post by tim_123
The second option.

I really hope one day people on this forum will stop believing that Russell group is the be all and end all.

When you get out into the real world employers will only care what uni you went to if it was Oxbridge. That's it.

No employer is ever going to look at you and go, "oh you went to a 50th ranked uni", employers don't care about that... It's only small minded immature tsrians that do.

This really depends on your chosen field. For some professional jobs it does make a difference.
Reply 33
My field is Computer Science, forgot to mention
You're actually quite funny, but tone down some of your other more serious views because they will quickly have you labelled a massive bellend.

For the sake of accuracy, I am willing to look like a massive bellend. As long as I am right, it doesn't matter.
You see, both you and the OU prospective student assume to patronise me. You think I am 18-year-old whose only achievement in life is performing well academically and think I have never worked a day in my life. I was not 18 when I went to uni and have worked in the real world a lot harder than you, I'd guess; your attempts to condescend will not work.

People often say that the university you attend does not matter, including recruitment consultants. Indeed, it does not matter for many low-skilled jobs and some highly skilled jobs requiring vocational degrees. But for great many graduate jobs, the thing many people go to university in order to qualify for, academic achievement carries a whole lot of sway. It's not everything, but it does carry sway. I assume you heard about that Aldi grad job which is £42,000pa with a whole range of benefits -- they did not make their offer so ludicrously lucrative to tempt people from Sunderland University to apply, for example; they want only the best from top-tier RG. It's really a twofold thing of performing poorly at L3 which allows one only to go to universities like Sunderland and the university itself not having the highest of academic standards so the degree classification the applicant has is dubious.

The only reason I'm patronising you is because your opinions make you sound like an 18yr old child.

I'm yet to meet an employer who cares that much about your choice of uni. RG is a group based on research, so I'll conceed it may help an academic route, but employability is based on a hell of a lot more than the name of the uni you went to, and it's rank in the league tables.

Case in point is a friend (andecdotal I know) who doesn't like hiring Oxbridge because they tend not to integrate well with non Oxbridge
Original post by tim_123
I'm yet to meet an employer who cares that much about your choice of uni. RG is a group based on research, so I'll conceed it may help an academic route, but employability is based on a hell of a lot more than the name of the uni you went to, and it's rank in the league tables.

*its rank

This is a really interesting thing I like to call tautology and it mixes quite well with ad nauseam. Just continue repeating the same point, bud. It works wonders.
*its rank

This is a really interesting thing I like to call tautology and it mixes quite well with ad nauseam. Just continue repeating the same point, bud. It works wonders.

iPhone auto correct...

If my argument is a tautology, then you are saying it is true in all instances.... So you conceed that I am right
Original post by tim_123
iPhone auto correct...

If my argument is a tautology, then you are saying it is true in all instances.... So you conceed that I am right

Concede*

And that doesn't make any sense, bud. Thanks for trying, though.
Concede*

And that doesn't make any sense, bud. Thanks for trying, though.

A tautology is an argument that is true in all instances.

And so you are tellin me my argument must always be correct
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending