The Student Room Group

In-House role

I have recently finished the LPC and have been offered a paralegal job in-house with a large corp.
I have heard that it is difficult to go back to private practice once you have worked in-house (once qualified).
Prior to taking the LPC I worked for a year at a commercial firm as a paralegal. So I am unsure whether to return to private practice or take this job.

If I except this job will it prevent me from getting a training contact with a law firm. It is in an area which I eventually wish to qualify in and a number of the firms I am applying to for training contracts have this business (and similar ones) as a client.

Does anyone know whether this role would be likely to hurt my chances of getting a training contract. This company does not offer training contracts and I know only a limited amount of training contracts exist in-house.
Would it be possible for me to convincingly say that working in-house would improve my commercial awareness/knowledge of what the client wants ect?

As gaining a training contract is the overall aim I want to know whether taking this job is going to ultimately help me to do that. Any advice would be appreciated!
Original post by HoneyBee67
I have recently finished the LPC and have been offered a paralegal job in-house with a large corp.
I have heard that it is difficult to go back to private practice once you have worked in-house (once qualified).
Prior to taking the LPC I worked for a year at a commercial firm as a paralegal. So I am unsure whether to return to private practice or take this job.

If I except this job will it prevent me from getting a training contact with a law firm. It is in an area which I eventually wish to qualify in and a number of the firms I am applying to for training contracts have this business (and similar ones) as a client.

Does anyone know whether this role would be likely to hurt my chances of getting a training contract. This company does not offer training contracts and I know only a limited amount of training contracts exist in-house.
Would it be possible for me to convincingly say that working in-house would improve my commercial awareness/knowledge of what the client wants ect?

As gaining a training contract is the overall aim I want to know whether taking this job is going to ultimately help me to do that. Any advice would be appreciated!

When people say it's difficult to go from in-house to private practice, they're generally talking about qualified solicitor roles. I don't think working in-house as a paralegal would hurt your chances of a TC. I think it would actually give you valuable experience from the client's POV.

I just realised you've mentioned this in your post as well - I definitely think that's the case.
Original post by HoneyBee67

You might want to check if any paralegal work (or in-house) that you complete in the future could fit within the new definition of "period of recognised training" (see http://www.legalcheek.com/2015/03/the-paralegal-shortcut-29-lpc-grads-apply-to-qualify-as-solicitors-without-doing-a-training-contract/ and http://www.sra.org.uk/trainees/period-recognised-training.page ) this could be very useful and lead to qualifying without a traditional training contract.
Reply 3
Original post by J-SP
From my experience work in-house prior to a TC is really useful experience to have. I don't think it would be seen as a negative.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending