The Student Room Group

Surrey or city for computer science

Hello I am an international,
I got unconditional computer science offer from university of surrey. And a foundation offer from city, university of london.
Which one should I pick? On the one hand I will study for 4 years(city) and 3 years on the other.
And another important thing is I have the chance to live in a relative's house in central london. If I pick surrey it will be a 1.5 hour train ride. If I pick city it will be about 50 minutes bus ride.
Original post by web3
I got unconditional computer science offer from university of surrey. And a foundation offer from city, university of london.
Which one should I pick? On the one hand I will study for 4 years(city) and 3 years on the other.
And another important thing is I have the chance to live in a relative's house in central london. If I pick surrey it will be a 1.5 hour train ride. If I pick city it will be about 50 minutes bus ride.

You've written about the length of the two courses and your commute to each. Are those your primary considerations?

What about the universities themselves? Or the course (both mandatory and optional modules)?

If the courses and universities are equal in your mind then you're trading a shorter commute at City for a shorter course at Surrey. I think only you can decide which of those is more important to you.

Do you expect to live with relatives for for full duration of either course? Of might you opt to share a house/flat with people you meet in the course after the first year? I assume you've ruled-out university accommodation during your first year?

Personally, I'd take the shorter course.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You've written about the length of the two courses and your commute to each. Are those your primary considerations?

What about the universities themselves? Or the course (both mandatory and optional modules)?

If the courses and universities are equal in your mind then you're trading a shorter commute at City for a shorter course at Surrey. I think only you can decide which of those is more important to you.

Do you expect to live with relatives for for full duration of either course? Of might you opt to share a house/flat with people you meet in the course after the first year? I assume you've ruled-out university accommodation during your first year?

Personally, I'd take the shorter course.

Well,
Surrey is actually better than city in nearly all of the rankings. It is in top 10 for computer science in the uk. Surrey is better in terms of education quality but it is a little more expensive for a year, but in total they will cost nearly the same if I choose to stay in uni accomodation of surrey. So, for now I consider location and cost. Which one would you pick if you were me? Also consider I will work part time at some point to support my family
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by web3
Well,
Surrey is actually better than city in nearly all of the rankings. It is in top 10 for computer science in the uk. Surrey is better in terms of education quality but it is a little more expensive for a year, but in total they will cost nearly the same if I choose to stay in uni accomodation of surrey. So, for now I consider location and cost. Which one would you pick if you were me? Also consider I will work part time at some point to support my family

If it were me, I'd choose Surrey but would stay in uni accommodation for the first year to avoid that 90-minute commute (and allow me to have a more uni-centred social life). I'd then plan to move into a shared house/flat in subsequent years.

In making that decision I haven't taken account of your "Also consider I will work part time at some point to support my family" comment, mainly because I don't know what to do with that information. Will they be coming to the UK with you, so will be living with you? Or is this really about spending as little as possible to ensure you can send as much home as possible?
Original post by web3

What is the extra fourth year at City?
Original post by ageshallnot
What is the extra fourth year at City?

OP says, "And a foundation offer from city, university of london."

So the extra year is a foundation year.
Reply 6
If it were me, I'd choose Surrey but would stay in uni accommodation for the first year to avoid that 90-minute commute (and allow me to have a more uni-centred social life). I'd then plan to move into a shared house/flat in subsequent years.

In making that decision I haven't taken account of your "Also consider I will work part time at some point to support my family" comment, mainly because I don't know what to do with that information. Will they be coming to the UK with you, so will be living with you? Or is this really about spending as little as possible to ensure you can send as much home as possible?

Nope they aren't coming here. I will work to cover some of my living expenses to support them financially. I said it because, you know, I wasn't sure if I choose to stay in London would the 90-minute commute be a problem for part-time working
OP says, "And a foundation offer from city, university of london."

So the extra year is a foundation year.

DOH! Missed that! 😳

In that case I'd ask the OP whether they think they will benefit from that year?
Original post by web3
Nope they aren't coming here. I will work to cover some of my living expenses to support them financially. I said it because, you know, I wasn't sure if I choose to stay in London would the 90-minute commute be a problem for part-time working

Working part-time will certainly be more difficult if you have a long commute before or after it. You also have the cost of the commute itself (be it train or bus) to factor in.
Hi there!

Surrey has a Unitemps branch on campus, which is always looking for students to take up part-time positions. This means you will be able to pretty much choose the hours/days you want to work, and you can fit that around lectures and seminars so that, on the days you travel to Guildford, you can swap between studying and working during the day.

That is what I did this academic year, and I was easily able to plan my timetable with my manager to be able to work on the days I was on campus, and not have to go in when I didn't have any lectures, which saved me lots of time :wink:

There are also many remote roles you can take just from being a student here, such as the one I'm fulfilling right now, of Marketing Ambassador :smile:

There are other Student Ambassador roles too such as TikTok Ambassador and other social-media related roles, such as one representing your department's online account (e.g. Surrey Business School on Instagram). Other roles involve working at different outlets on campus, such as restaurants, cafes, bars, etc.

Hope this helps!

Marko
BSc Accounting and Finance
Original post by web3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending