The Student Room Group

I am Straight Edge - ask me anything

For those who don't know what Straight Edge is, here are some lines from the Wikipedia article on it:

Straight edge (sometimes abbreviated sXe) is a subculture of hardcore punk whose adherents refrain from using alcohol, tobacco and other recreational drugs, in a reaction to the excesses of punk subculture. For some, this extends to refraining from engaging in promiscuous sex, following a vegetarian or vegan diet, and/or not using caffeine or prescription drugs

I am in my 30s now and never had a drop of alcohol in my life, never smoked a cigarette or other tobacco products, and never took any other drugs. In 2002, I stopped consuming caffeine and began avoiding prescription medication whenever possible (not that I took a lot of it before). I don't follow a vegetarian or vegan diet, but I have always abstained from a promiscuous lifestyle. I am an active Christian and see myself as a member of the Christian Straight Edge sub-movement.

As mentioned in the Wikipedia article, there is no agreed reason why one should live straight edge. To me, it is the purity and sobriety of mind it gives: I don't want my perception of the world around me to be altered by external substances in any meaningful way: If I am tired, I want to feel tired, and not string myself up with caffeine or ecstasy. If I am sad, exhausted, or inhibited, I don't want to have to take in alcohol to get myself into a party mood or talk to a girl - I'll just be sad, exhausted, or inhibited then, or overcome these feelings with 'my own means'. If I am in pain, I want to experience it (within reasonable limits), and not numb my body with painkillers.
To me, music (namely metalcore and post-hardcore) is the only drug I accept. It's the only thing I am happy to let influence my mind and body - often, and hard.
I realise that I still take in loads of crappy substances through food, pollution, fabrics and whatnot every day. But it's a good start.

I was more of a cautious type in my early teens and chose to observe my friends to see what happened to them as they experimented with alcohol. After seeing what it did to them, and being the rational person I am (it's unhealthy, it's expensive, it's dangerous, I'll most likely make a fool of myself, I can't drive under the influence - why would I want to ever drink?!) I just never picked it up. That's how it started for me. At the time I didn't know about Straight Edge, I was just starting to get into rock music. Later, when I read about sXe for the first time, it struck me: that's what I am doing already anyway, and that's a fantastic to keep doing it and to expand it.

Yes, I have put myself at a disadvantage numerous times throughout my life by staying true to my chosen path: in western culture, alcohol is a social lubricant, and getting hammered together is still a bonding ritual between males. I'll probably missed out on a few cool parties by not having been invited because people saw me as boring. You also raise eyebrows if you just won't have a beer (or three) after work with colleagues.
But I don't regret a thing. Having gotten through university and the early, wild years of working largely undamaged, it's less of a case of running the gauntlet for me now. Most people my age have learned to use alcohol responsibly and take a no for a no. My friends have embraced my conviction - and enjoy always having a designated driver around...

It's not for everyone, but it's the right thing for me. Maybe also for you?

Ask away.
Are you really this bored?
:erm:

Spoiler

Reply 2
I had never realised that there was a proper term for this, since I'm pretty much like that.

Have you ever felt pressured to drink?
Original post by AristoBrat!
]You sound like an online Christian evangelist at times.

Really, where? Apart from the second-to-last paragraph I am not suggesting others should follow this lifestyle. I am just describing it from my point of view.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Have you ever felt pressured to drink?

That would be an understated expression. People have spiked my drinks, threatened me with violence if I wouldn't drink, etc. Luckily that's quite some time ago.

I had never realised that there was a proper term for this, since I'm pretty much like that.

Cool. Maybe look into it a bit more and check out your local scene.
Reply 5
Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil
That would be an understated expression. People have spiked my drinks, threatened me with violence if I wouldn't drink, etc. Luckily that's quite some time ago.

Wow, I feel quite lucky that my experience was very different, everyone has always been very accepting of how I am.

Cool. Maybe look into it a bit more and check out your local scene.

Local scene? For what?
Local scene? For what?

I mean Straight Edge concerts. sXe-ers go there, sXe bands play, you can talk to people, learn about their interpretation of the lifestyle, exchange experiences, etc. Being sXe alone is only part of the fun.
Reply 7
I mean Straight Edge concerts. sXe-ers go there, sXe bands play, you can talk to people, learn about their interpretation of the lifestyle, exchange experiences, etc. Being sXe alone is only part of the fun.

Meh, I'm happy with my mixed group of friends. I don't feel it's significant enough to talk about, I consider it a fairly uninteresting trait.

The whole idea of such a concert makes me feel uneasy but I can't put my finger on why :/
are you wrestler formerly known as cm punk?
Original post by chelseafreak
are you wrestler formerly known as cm punk?

Umm, no. But he did a good job giving the movement some publicity.
Umm, no. But he did a good job giving the movement some publicity.

he did, sorry but when i saw the thread title it was the first thing that came to mind.
How does allowing yourself to feel pain benefit you? (Genuine question, not trying to be snarky or horrible) I can understand how you would rather let yourself feel psychological distress because I'm much like that myself - as a sufferer of anxiety I prefer not to use medication because I think it's more useful to overcome it 'on my own'.

Also, do you avoid having to take antibiotics and vaccinations? I wonder because I knew someone once who saw it as more beneficial to allow his body to fight infection with no external help.
Original post by pineneedles
How does allowing yourself to feel pain benefit you?

I just don't want to have that feeling, as unpleasant as it may be at times, taken away from me. I want to experience all my body's signals/messages and not numb them down. Sounds dramatic and somewhat masochistic, but in the real world this really just translates to not taking aspirin/advil/whatever when I have a headache. If I broke my leg or had some serious surgery done I'll accept painkillers/narcotics.

Original post by pineneedles
Also, do you avoid having to take antibiotics and vaccinations?

Vaccinations, no. I like to travel to exotic places (actually live in one at the moment) and would rather not die...
Antibiotics, yes. Those are heavily overused anyway, really don't want to develop resistances.
Really, where? Apart from the second-to-last paragraph I am not suggesting others should follow this lifestyle. I am just describing it from my point of view.

It was a joke, man. :colonhash:
Interesting - why straight edge but not vegan?

Quick Reply

Latest