The Student Room Group

does work experience in a dentist count as relevant work experience for medicine?

I've left everything to the last minute because I've been revising for my UKCAT and now i'm struggling to secure a placement in a hospital for next week before school starts. However, i think i can sit with a dentist for a week. Would this be relevant experience for medicine? NB I've already done a week on a respiratory ward and a week in a GP. I'm also a volunteer for an organisation giving aid and organising events for refugees and asylum seekers.
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Have you done your UKCAT? How was it? If not, then what are you getting in your mocks?
Reply 3
Original post by --_--
Have you done your UKCAT? How was it? If not, then what are you getting in your mocks?

nope not yet. i have it tomorrow. I'm averaging about 630ish which is ok i guess. hopefully tomorrow goes better than expected.
Reply 4
Original post by kash1230
nope not yet. i have it tomorrow. I'm averaging about 630ish which is ok i guess. hopefully tomorrow goes better than expected.

Oh okay good luck with that. I have mines mid September. :smile:
What did you get in your GCSEs and AS?
Reply 5
Original post by --_--
Oh okay good luck with that. I have mines mid September. :smile:
What did you get in your GCSEs and AS?

thanks. i wanted to get it out the way so i don't have to stress. 11A* 3A at GCSE and 4A at AS. How about you? :smile:
Reply 6
thanks. i wanted to get it out the way so i don't have to stress. 11A* 3A at GCSE and 4A at AS. How about you? :smile:

Wow that's pretty amazing. I got 3A*s 5As 3Bs and 2Cs at GCSE due to extenuating circumstances and at AS I got ABBB. But I'm planning on Dentistry. I doubt I would get into medicine anyways haha. Are you Indian?
I've left everything to the last minute because I've been revising for my UKCAT and now i'm struggling to secure a placement in a hospital for next week before school starts. However, i think i can sit with a dentist for a week. Would this be relevant experience for medicine? NB I've already done a week on a respiratory ward and a week in a GP. I'm also a volunteer for an organisation giving aid and organising events for refugees and asylum seekers.

If you've already done a week on a respiratory ward and another week in a GP practice, that should be more than enough to reflect on. Personally I see no reason to shadow a dentist too.
Reply 8
Original post by --_--
Wow that's pretty amazing. I got 3A*s 5As 3Bs and 2Cs at GCSE due to extenuating circumstances and at AS I got ABBB. But I'm planning on Dentistry. I doubt I would get into medicine anyways haha. Are you Indian?

What was your fourth subject? No, I'm Bengali
If you can make the work experience you did with the dentist relevant to medicine then yes, it helps! You can talk about the similarities and differences and why you wanted to pursue medicine rather than dentistry after the experience - I did this with my pharmacy work experience and it worked for me :')

You're very unlikely to be able to get anything in a hospital at such short notice I'm afraid, but given that you have experience in a GP and on the respiratory ward you should be okay - universities understand how hard it is to get hospital placements. Your voluntary work sounds good, especially if you've been doing it for a while, and that's something that a lot of unis will focus on as it shows "commitment to care" which they seem pretty keen on.

Good luck with UKCAT and the rest of your application!
Reply 10
What was your fourth subject? No, I'm Bengali

Cool. My fourth subject was English Literature. I did so well in the exam but I got a C for some reason. I don't know if I should send it for a remark because I was sure I would get at least a B. :s-smilie:
What was your 4th subject? I'm guessing you did Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics?
Reply 11
Original post by aLittleBookWorm
If you can make the work experience you did with the dentist relevant to medicine then yes, it helps! You can talk about the similarities and differences and why you wanted to pursue medicine rather than dentistry after the experience - I did this with my pharmacy work experience and it worked for me :':wink:

You're very unlikely to be able to get anything in a hospital at such short notice I'm afraid, but given that you have experience in a GP and on the respiratory ward you should be okay - universities understand how hard it is to get hospital placements. Your voluntary work sounds good, especially if you've been doing it for a while, and that's something that a lot of unis will focus on as it shows "commitment to care" which they seem pretty keen on.

Good luck with UKCAT and the rest of your application!

Thank you for the advice! If I were to talk about the similarities and differences, is it something I would include in my PS, or talk about if I get to interview stage?
Reply 12
Original post by --_--
Cool. My fourth subject was English Literature. I did so well in the exam but I got a C for some reason. I don't know if I should send it for a remark because I was sure I would get at least a B. :s-smilie:
What was your 4th subject? I'm guessing you did Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics?

It's worth a try getting a remark if you were close to a B. Mine was Spanish. GCSE Physics really made me despise the subject. I dropped Maths and kept the others.:frown:
Thank you for the advice! If I were to talk about the similarities and differences, is it something I would include in my PS, or talk about if I get to interview stage?

A bit of both I'd say - I wouldn't go into too much detail about that in your personal statement but it's worth a mention, and in interviews it's quite useful for the inevitable "Why do you want to do medicine [and not nursing/dentistry/other healthcare things]?" question :smile: With my application I mentioned my pharmacy work experience in passing in my first paragraph of my PS when I was talking about what prompted me to go into medicine, and I talked about it in 3 of my 4 interviews so it was quite a useful thing to have to talk about!
Reply 14
It's worth a try getting a remark if you were close to a B. Mine was Spanish. GCSE Physics really made me despise the subject. I dropped Maths and kept the others.:frown:

Idk I will ask my teacher, I need 9 raw marks to get an A so.....
That's sick that you got an A in Spanish, Physics is a good subject but whatever, I'm taking Maths to next year, dropping English Literature. Why are you not taking Maths?? You got an A in it!!!
Reply 15
Original post by --_--
Idk I will ask my teacher, I need 9 raw marks to get an A so.....
That's sick that you got an A in Spanish, Physics is a good subject but whatever, I'm taking Maths to next year, dropping English Literature. Why are you not taking Maths?? You got an A in it!!!

Spanish was a big surprise:biggrin:. After exams we started core 3 and i struggled so much. It put me off because if i find core 3 hard, theres no way i can do
C4 and M1. Plus, M1 is Physics!
Reply 16
Original post by aLittleBookWorm
A bit of both I'd say - I wouldn't go into too much detail about that in your personal statement but it's worth a mention, and in interviews it's quite useful for the inevitable "Why do you want to do medicine [and not nursing/dentistry/other healthcare things]?" question :smile: With my application I mentioned my pharmacy work experience in passing in my first paragraph of my PS when I was talking about what prompted me to go into medicine, and I talked about it in 3 of my 4 interviews so it was quite a useful thing to have to talk about!

4 interviews? Wow! Where did you apply?
Reply 17
Spanish was a big surprise:biggrin:. After exams we started core 3 and i struggled so much. It put me off because if i find core 3 hard, theres no way i can do
C4 and M1. Plus, M1 is Physics!

Oh. Good luck though! :biggrin:
4 interviews? Wow! Where did you apply?

Exeter, Cambridge, Cardiff and Nottingham! Didn't get an offer from Cambridge (and after my train-wreck of an interview I didn't expect one to be honest!) but had offers from the other 3 and I'm off to Exeter next month :smile: Any idea where you're going to apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending