The Student Room Group

Is maths a level super hard?

Hey everyone. So I just done a year at AS already so I'm not new to the step up but I've decided to change my subjects because i have chosen my career and course at uni. I'll be taking maths physics history and art ...

Is maths a level super hard ? How easy or hard is it to get an A ? Also, how does it help with physics ? Do they bounce of each other ?
I have chosen my subjects due to my career in the future (architect :smile: ) I've chosen 2 subjects I enjoy (history and art) and 2 subjects I will have to work seriously hard for (maths and physics). Thanks for the help
Hey, im starting year 12 and I was wondering weather or not to do maths.. I got an A* at gcse this year for maths,, do you have any tricks or help on how maths is this year>?
Reply 2
I just completed my as level maths and in my second year now .. Well soon... And u completely loved it ... But tbh u have to work throughout the year and you would definitely smash it but I just did past papers like few weeks before the exam so I'm really happy with my results that was a C this is because I didn't work hard at all and still got c so it's cool😁 I would say you should defo go for it if you enjoy maths but I don't know about second year yet so I can't really say much about the full course but all the best

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by 504undercover
Hey everyone. So I just done a year at AS already so I'm not new to the step up but I've decided to change my subjects because i have chosen my career and course at uni. I'll be taking maths physics history and art ...

Is maths a level super hard ? How easy or hard is it to get an A ? Also, how does it help with physics ? Do they bounce of each other ?
I have chosen my subjects due to my career in the future (architect :smile: ) I've chosen 2 subjects I enjoy (history and art) and 2 subjects I will have to work seriously hard for (maths and physics). Thanks for the help

Depends how hard you find maths, there's no definitive answer...

I'm finding it pretty easy so far, but it probably helps that that's relative to FM alongside.

As to helping with Physics, it's only really come up in a couple of bits so far, so the people who aren't doing maths aren't struggling too much :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks babe means a lot. So it wasn't too hard ? Everyone is saying different things obviously but I'm terrified lol. Thankyou :smile: it's just nerve wrecking ...I'll work hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thanks babe means a lot. So it wasn't too hard ? Everyone is saying different things obviously but I'm terrified lol. Thankyou :smile: it's just nerve wrecking ...I'll work hard

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's really hard to know how hard you will find it. Some find it too easy while others find it impossible.

If you're willing to put the work in then I think you'll find it at least manageable.
This really depends on whether or not you like Maths. I didn't find it as hard as I thought I would (I thought that it would be practically impossible to do very well when I first started), but for some reason, Maths is just one of those things which I 'get'. That does not mean I didn't have to work hard - A-Level Maths is one of the tougher subjects in terms of the amount of workload you get, but as long as you enjoy it, are naturally receptive to new mathematical concepts and are prepared to work hard, you should be OK :smile: I didn't take Physics, but my friends who did said that there are some parallels between the Physics and the Maths courses, although these apparently appear mainly in the Mechanics modules (which I didn't do - sorry!).
Reply 7
I've just finished AS Maths Edexcel and I got a C. I was hoping to get an A because there are aspects of the course that I really enjoyed, and some that were even fun at times, but unfortunately I didn't study enough. :frown:

I'm not sure how it works with Physics as I didn't take it, but I've heard from friends that they go together really well. Getting an A is easy if you enjoy the course, but I would advise you to study lots, every day if possible, and attend any extra classes/clubs where your teachers can help you. I also recommend using examsolutions.net for when you come to doing exam questions, but you'll probably be told about that anyway. :smile:

I've just finished my A Level Maths course this year. It was definitely the most challenging A Level Subject I did, that being said I also studied Chemistry, Physics and Biology. Though I had an A in GCSE Maths (a few marks or so off an A*), I got a C overall in my AS modules at the end of first year, compared to AAB in Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Having said that I went out of my way in A2 to resit my AS Maths modules which I managed to take upto an A (which sounds great!) but I managed a U overall in the A2 modules leaving me with a C in my overall A Level Maths course. I now have an unconditional offer to study Pharmacy at Kings :smile: But honestly I would say AS Level Maths is bearable but A2 Maths is absolutely horrendous!

Hope that helps :biggrin:
Thankyou everyone so much! I will be purchasing in books and attending classes maybe even hiring a tutor ...I cannot bare the thought of not getting the right grades the thought makes me feel sick.
Physics I've heard is quite challenging and I'm absolutely terrified as maths isn't my strongest subject but I know I can do it if I put enough work in and enjoy it. I'm so scared but I'll work so hard ....how much work is it? Compared to essay based subjects probably not much homework unless it's personal choice to study right ? This is sooo exciting / scary my future depends on this and I was never usually a person to study from the start but it's all about to change. Thanks for the help angels

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't drop a mark. It's super easy if you're super good.
we need a super thread for FAQs like this

Quick Reply

Latest