The Student Room Group

Warwick MORSE - Would I stand a chance of getting in?

I am a year 12 student who recently got my AS results.
I got 7A*, 2A 1B in GCSE
For A levels I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Chinese.
I got AAAAB at AS (I was one mark off an A in Chemistry and the remark is pending)
For A2 I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, and Physics (and Chinese externally)

Do I HAVE to do STEP? If I do not take the STEP examination would it spoil my chance of getting an offer? Anyone know anybody who hasn't done STEP but got an offer? The paper seems difficult and I have no idea how to prepare for it!

I think I will get A*AA or A*A*A at A2
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kelvin1338
I am a year 12 student who recently got my AS results.
I got 7A*, 2A 1B in GCSE
For A levels I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Chinese.
I got AAAAB at AS (I was one mark off an A in Chemistry and the remark is pending)
For A2 I will drop either Chemistry or Physics (still deciding).

Do I HAVE to do STEP? If I do not take the STEP examination would it spoil my chance of getting an offer? Anyone know anybody who hasn't done STEP but got an offer? The paper seems difficult and I have no idea how to prepare for it!

I think I will get A*AA or A*A*A at A2

Your GCSEs and AS levels are strong - if you get the A in chem that'd be nice of course, but I really wouldn't worry about a B.

Have you seen this?
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/courses/offer

Looks like you don't need STEP but would require higher A Level grades instead. You seem to be on track for this so it's looking good. I'd still try taking STEP if you can though. It gives you another safety net potentially and is good prep for uni. STEP seems intimidating at first because its style is so different to A Level maths but it is certainly manageable. The most important thing is practice. And there's a thread on tsr fill of people who will be able to help you through it. Good luck! :smile:

Edit: there are also some great resources for preparing for STEP on the STEP prep thread. It's completely understandable that you find it difficult, it's designed to be challenging but it will get easier with a bit of perseverance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Most people on MORSE don't get in via STEP, rather the A*AA route (I actually got in with A*A*B, but only after a bit of negotiation with the admissions office).
I think it might be worth doing STEP anyways, because the maths you do is quite different to A-level and the STEP exam is a good 'stepping stone'!

If you have any other questions about MORSE, I can try answer them (i've just finished my first year).
Reply 3
Original post by Dannygem
Most people on MORSE don't get in via STEP, rather the A*AA route (I actually got in with A*A*B, but only after a bit of negotiation with the admissions office).
I think it might be worth doing STEP anyways, because the maths you do is quite different to A-level and the STEP exam is a good 'stepping stone'!

If you have any other questions about MORSE, I can try answer them (i've just finished my first year).

Thanks! I'm just wondering, what did you get predicted for A level (and what A levels did you do?) and what did you end up achieving in the end?

Also, what's the first year like? Is it a big jump from A2? Is there a lot of free time and are there lots of exams?
Reply 4
Original post by kelvin1338
Thanks! I'm just wondering, what did you get predicted for A level (and what A levels did you do?) and what did you end up achieving in the end?

Also, what's the first year like? Is it a big jump from A2? Is there a lot of free time and are there lots of exams?

I got predicted A*A*A, in Maths, Further Maths and Economics respectively.
I got A*A*B, I spent more time on FP2 and less time on Economics than I should've haha.

Honestly, i'm not going to try sugarcoat it, MORSE is a lot of work. I found my first year significantly tougher than my friends from high school found theirs. But I also felt I learnt a lot more, and I know that going to a better university than most of my friends will be worth the extra effort.

MORSE is a big jump from A-level, and it is quite daunting, but it is definitely manageable providing you put in the effort. First year you have 2 exams in January and 8 in June.

Quick Reply

Latest