The Student Room Group

Are 8GB USB memory sticks any good.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aeroline1999
Well I have an 8gb and 16gb memory sticks and tbh I've not used up more than 1 fb on either and I have lots of files on them. I guess if you want to store films or photos then you might want a bigger one but for word documents etc a 4gb or even 2gb stick would prob be more than enough!

Cool.
Thanks for the reply.:smile:
Lmao, I didn't know how much is a normal amount so bought a 128GB one.

Guessing that's huge then?
Original post by L'Evil Fish

loooool

What do you plan on putting on there

How much it cost
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Taniyama-Shimura
loooool

What do you plan on putting on there

How much it cost
Posted from TSR Mobile

My life :colone:

I'll be using Google drive and docs really, but just wanted a memory stick for emergency.

Maybe I'll just put everything on there then... Movies, work, games, who knows

20 something
My life :colone:

I'll be using Google drive and docs really, but just wanted a memory stick for emergency.

Maybe I'll just put everything on there then... Movies, work, games, who knows

20 something

Just for documents would have been overkill lol

But yeah, not bad for around 20 quid

Man, storage devices have come a long way. I still remember floppy disks.. They used to hold like 20mb or something :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Taniyama-Shimura
Just for documents would have been overkill lol

But yeah, not bad for around 20 quid

Man, storage devices have come a long way. I still remember floppy disks.. They used to hold like 20mb or something :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I plan on having all sections of my life on there now seeing as it's that big

I liked floppy disks, they were the coolest thing ever

Lol maybe I should have realised seeing as my PS4 is only double the memory stick

Yeah a 128GB USB stick is huge - tbh I doubt you'll ever fill that. As a comparison most SSD's are 250GB or more, and most HDD's are 500GB or more.

I have two 8GB sticks (same ones as linked to in thread), one 8GB stick from the days of Year 12/13 at school and one 4GB stick, also from school days. None of them have been filled and I only once ran into problems with storage space, though using both the 8GB and 4GB sticks at once solved that.
Original post by spotify95
Yeah a 128GB USB stick is huge - tbh I doubt you'll ever fill that. As a comparison most SSD's are 250GB or more, and most HDD's are 500GB or more.

I have two 8GB sticks (same ones as linked to in thread), one 8GB stick from the days of Year 12/13 at school and one 4GB stick, also from school days. None of them have been filled and I only once ran into problems with storage space, though using both the 8GB and 4GB sticks at once solved that.

:rofl: oops

Ah well, I'll find something excessive to do with it
Bear transfer speeds in mind. No point having an xyzGB flash drive if it takes days to fill up.

I have some of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-JetFlash-Drive-Frustration-Free-Packaging/dp/B003VNKNDM not the fastest but not as horrifically slow as some sticks are, about 20MB/s read and 7MB/s write. Reliable enough too.

Also some of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-16GB-DataTraveler-Flash-Drive/dp/B00GGD12NO/ practically bulletproof but horribly slow and unresponsive when filled past halfway. (It says it's a lot faster on the page but never seems to reach anywhere near those speeds)

Also as for the one in the OP, a lot of people are complaining about receiving fakes in the reviews, so I'd avoid.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest