The Student Room Group

Laptop / iPad for University

I’m studying a maths based degree at university, do you recommend for me to get a laptop or an iPad? If a laptop, what is a budget friendly laptop you would recommend?
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by PixiePresents
I’m studying a maths based degree at university, do you recommend for me to get a laptop or an iPad? If a laptop, what is a budget friendly laptop you would recommend?

I would personally prioritise getting a laptop over an iPad first as it's more convenient for storage, writing essays, completing assignments etc. However, I currently own the Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5i 14 inch laptop which is a 2 in 1 laptop, so if you have trouble deciding whether you want a laptop or an iPad I would recommend looking into this alternative. I actually ended up buying the laptop for £400 when it was on sale, so I would say it's definitely worth the price! :smile:
Original post by d1anasaur
I would personally prioritise getting a laptop over an iPad first as it's more convenient for storage, writing essays, completing assignments etc. However, I currently own the Lenovo Ideapad Flex 5i 14 inch laptop which is a 2 in 1 laptop, so if you have trouble deciding whether you want a laptop or an iPad I would recommend looking into this alternative. I actually ended up buying the laptop for £400 when it was on sale, so I would say it's definitely worth the price! :smile:

Thank you! i was looking into 2 in 1 laptops but many say that they’re rarely used for writing notes anyways, did you find this to be the case for youself? And also, how long have you had the laptop and how is it holding up?
Reply 3
Thank you! i was looking into 2 in 1 laptops but many say that they’re rarely used for writing notes anyways, did you find this to be the case for youself? And also, how long have you had the laptop and how is it holding up?

I honestly don't feel a difference when taking notes on my laptop rather than an iPad/tablet, as you can fold it over to use it in tablet mode. I've had it for a couple of months now and I've never had any problems with it! It charges quite quickly and I can get everything done on it. Let me know if you have any more questions!
(edited 7 months ago)

I would recommend a laptop. Personally, I can't deal with an iPad screen, and the iPads I've seen don't have a place for a USB stick, and those are super useful. I think an iPad with the capabilities of a laptop would actually be more expensive. I've had an ASUS Vivobook (thin and light, 14 inch screen I think) for 4 years so far and it works great. Plenty of storage, extremely light, and somehow works perfectly despite the fact I've dropped it a lot. It cost me the equivalent of 240 pound at the time.

Hi there,

I study a maths degree and would recommend prioritising a laptop over an iPad. One of the main reasons being that my course involves some coding which I would struggle to do on an iPad but I would recommend checking if your course does. Personally, I have always written on paper lecture notes and then typed up summaries on my laptop. However, I do have friends that use iPads instead as they find it easier to stay organised that way.

I started my course in 2020 and purchased a HP Pavilion and it hasn't failed me yet. It can also be helpful waiting until you get your student email address so that you can get student discount to make getting a laptop more affordable. Please feel free to ask me any questions.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Hey there,

For your math-based degree, I recommend a budget-friendly laptop. Check out "Laptop Outlet" for affordable options. Look for one with a decent processor, 8GB of RAM, and ample storage. While an iPad is handy, a laptop offers more versatility for research and running math-related software.

Best of luck in your studies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending