The Student Room Group

How many A-Levels to take?

Hi, I'm going into Y11 next week and AS Level choices are looming. Most people in my school take 3/4 AS Levels plus either General Studies or Critical Thinking.
I'd like to study Economics at university, so will take Maths, Further Maths and Economics at A2, but I'd also like to study French and Religious Studies/Philosophy, would taking all of these subjects, as well as Critical Thinking, be too great a workload for AS? Additionally, would it be better to drop RS at A2 and do four A2 levels? I'm currently predicted all A*s at GCSE and got very close to this in mocks a few months ago, and all of my controlled assessment marks have been 90% or above. Thanks :smile:
It really depends on how well you do at GCSE. It seems as if you good at managing workload since you are predicted all A*'s. You could take five AS levels if you think you are capable and if you really enjoy your subjects. I know people that have taken 5 AS levels and have achieved 5 A's. It is all down to your ability to managing your time wisely and to cope with the workload. Good Luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by gosforthtsr
Hi, I'm going into Y11 next week and AS Level choices are looming. Most people in my school take 3/4 AS Levels plus either General Studies or Critical Thinking.
I'd like to study Economics at university, so will take Maths, Further Maths and Economics at A2, but I'd also like to study French and Religious Studies/Philosophy, would taking all of these subjects, as well as Critical Thinking, be too great a workload for AS? Additionally, would it be better to drop RS at A2 and do four A2 levels? I'm currently predicted all A*s at GCSE and got very close to this in mocks a few months ago, and all of my controlled assessment marks have been 90% or above. Thanks :smile:

I personally would settle on doing 4 AS levels and then going down to 3 in the second year as universities don't require any more and it means you have to share your time over more subjects so each one gets less attention. I don't know how much preparation is needed for critical thinking, or how heavy the workload is throughout the year, but if you wont need to do much work for that subject (bearing in mind most unis do not put Critical Thinking in their offer), I think it is possible to do either French or religious studies on top of that, but to do both would perhaps affect your other grades

Quick Reply

Latest