The Student Room Group

Higher Computing Science 2015-2016

This is a crash higher for me, and I'm basically lost in the class, I don't know where to start, I'm going to try my best for a B but most likely come out with a C. Does anyone know how/what I can improve? I'm kind of relying on this subject for at least a B.

I just finished going over natural, high and low level languages. We're using VB 2010 in class. I've been getting the database because of admin but that's about it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ok, first of all. Get this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/190673660X?keywords=bright%20red%20computing%20science&qid=1441136678&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 . Start working through it, if it is not making much sense then get the N5 version as well. You need a basic understanding of the n5 material for you to build upon in higher. Go through topic by topic in chronological order. If you're stuck, quote me and ask questions and I'll do my best to help. :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by JP298
Ok, first of all. Get this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/190673660X?keywords=bright%20red%20computing%20science&qid=1441136678&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1 . Start working through it, if it is not making much sense then get the N5 version as well. You need a basic understanding of the n5 material for you to build upon in higher. Go through topic by topic in chronological order. If you're stuck, quote me and ask questions and I'll do my best to help. :biggrin:

I'll get that book definitely, I've also downloaded Visual Basic but I can't afford to drop this subject, see the course work what happens in that ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by qasim-98
I'll get that book definitely, I've also downloaded Visual Basic but I can't afford to drop this subject, see the course work what happens in that ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

With the coursework, what should happen is that you are given a problem and you must plan, create, document, implement, test and then review a program that you've made, which in your case would be using visual basic, to solve the problem. You would also do this with another problem but by using a relational database to solve it, going through the exact same process as previously mentioned.
Reply 4
Yeah, I'm just relying on that to get me a good mark to be honest, how did you find computing, and the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yeah, I'm just relying on that to get me a good mark to be honest, how did you find computing, and the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did information systems last year at higher, which is being replaced by computing science. Yeah, exam went well, got an A1. Will be applying for computing at uni this this year so I would like to think of myself of being decent at the subject 😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by JP298
I did information systems last year at higher, which is being replaced by computing science. Yeah, exam went well, got an A1. Will be applying for computing at uni this this year so I would like to think of myself of being decent at the subject 😂😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

The book just came in and I opened it, surprisingly thin, does brightred cover the entire course ? I used this for business management and it managed to cover everything, briefly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Yep, the full course is covered, of course it will be mainly things that will you be tested on in the theory side in the exam, but should contain all relevant information
Reply 8
When does the assignment usually start? So worried for this subject. Got targeted a high B for this subject ?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Totally depends on your teacher tbh. Will most likely finish the course then go onto the assignment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is a crash higher for me, and I'm basically lost in the class, I don't know where to start, I'm going to try my best for a B but most likely come out with a C. Does anyone know how/what I can improve? I'm kind of relying on this subject for at least a B.

I just finished going over natural, high and low level languages. We're using VB 2010 in class. I've been getting the database because of admin but that's about it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have never did Higher Computing Science. But, I crashed the Old Higher Computing and got an A (they're probably completely different, my friend is doing it). But, I'll give you some advice just make sure you study. It is achievable and you will get your B. Good luck!!!

Try buying some books maybe the how to pass.. (that's if they still sell them), ask a lot of questions in class, watched online tutorials and try going on Youtube and watch solutions to previous Compute Science papers/going over certain aspects of the course.

Its possible and I wish you the best! I wish I had another year at school so I could crash H Computing Science :P
Reply 11
Original post by rhiifuu
I have never did Higher Computing Science. But, I crashed the Old Higher Computing and got an A (they're probably completely different, my friend is doing it). But, I'll give you some advice just make sure you study. It is achievable and you will get your B. Good luck!!!

Try buying some books maybe the how to pass.. (that's if they still sell them), ask a lot of questions in class, watched online tutorials and try going on Youtube and watch solutions to previous Compute Science papers/going over certain aspects of the course.

Its possible and I wish you the best! I wish I had another year at school so I could crash H Computing Science :P

It's funny you just said but the how to pass books because they came in today haha, yeah I'm really not feeling this subject, the theory it's okay and moderately interesting but I'm worried about the assignment/coursework, what do you normally do?

That's amazing how you got an A by crashing it, well done, I wish I could do so too, my teacher put me down for a high B which is alright I suppose :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Also with watching tutorials/videos what do you mean? Do you mean watching people programming/coding? If you have any good videos/channels pleas a let me know, some parts are pretty straightforward for me but most is just a different language...

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's funny you just said but the how to pass books because they came in today haha, yeah I'm really not feeling this subject, the theory it's okay and moderately interesting but I'm worried about the assignment/coursework, what do you normally do?

That's amazing how you got an A by crashing it, well done, I wish I could do so too, my teacher put me down for a high B which is alright I suppose :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should be very proud of that!! Its only October and you've been put down with a high B already, it can only go up from there if you continue to put work into it.

Those books have an excessive amount of theory but it explains everything in depth. So, if you're ever confused read that. Well, I wouldn't worry too much about the coursework - hopefully you don't get moderated. But, your teacher will provide you with as much support as possible. We did a research and a program. The research was very simple, the program was a little difficult.

You probably wont be starting that until November/December. Just try and get a high grade so your chances for a better grade will raise.

Good luck. There are a lot of people on here who are willing to help out especially those who did Computing (:
Also with watching tutorials/videos what do you mean? Do you mean watching people programming/coding? If you have any good videos/channels pleas a let me know, some parts are pretty straightforward for me but most is just a different language...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, what I would do I would write a list of all the aspects of programming you don't understand. For example, how to declare a variable. I would type into Youtube that itself and the programming language you are using which in your case if VB.
Reply 15
Original post by rhiifuu
Well, what I would do I would write a list of all the aspects of programming you don't understand. For example, how to declare a variable. I would type into Youtube that itself and the programming language you are using which in your case if VB.

Alright, thanks a lot :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Hey guys! So how are your projects coming around?
Reply 17
Original post by Txik
Hey guys! So how are your projects coming around?

Not started, I'm dreading mine, and the NARS, and the prelim the whole subject I'm gonna fail. I'm aiming for atleast a B and have been targeted one, which is almost impossible considering how lost I am in there. How's yours going anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Not started, I'm dreading mine, and the NARS, and the prelim the whole subject I'm gonna fail. I'm aiming for atleast a B and have been targeted one, which is almost impossible considering how lost I am in there. How's yours going anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing advanced higher this year haha. Just wanted to check up on the highers. A good advice i can give to you is to be consistent when it comes to the project. Do some work on the project then write about it in your diary/log. I wouldnt worry about it. Just remember to stay on task.

And dont forget to study, you will see for yourself that the notes will start piling on top of each other pretty soon.
Reply 19
Original post by Txik
I'm doing advanced higher this year haha. Just wanted to check up on the highers. A good advice i can give to you is to be consistent when it comes to the project. Do some work on the project then write about it in your diary/log. I wouldnt worry about it. Just remember to stay on task.

And dont forget to study, you will see for yourself that the notes will start piling on top of each other pretty soon.

Can I ask what you got in computing last year? Is the project quite difficult, and what's in it ? Sorry for all the questions it's just that my teachers taking the crash higher class and she's taking it for the first time, so she doesn't know much yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending