The Student Room Group

What is the HARDEST A LEVEL (POLL)-LETS END THE DEBATE

Scroll to see replies

Edexcel Music is insanely technical and demanding with a brutal mark scheme. - greatly underestimated
Original post by help089
thank you for helping me out. Good luck with A2,i hope it goes well for you.:h:

No worries! And thanks so much, good luck to you too! :smile:
Being someone who has always been a bit of an all rounder, I can tell you for a fact, further maths and physics are the hardest A-levels by a distance. Nothing against essay subjects, but it is usually easier to attain the high grades in those subjects comparison to further maths and physics.
Original post by TheyCallMePolish
Being someone who has always been a bit of an all rounder, I can tell you for a fact, further maths and physics are the hardest A-levels by a distance. Nothing against essay subjects, but it is usually easier to attain the high grades in those subjects comparison to further maths and physics.

That's not necessarily true because of the subjective nature of essay subjects, it's harder to get full marks.
Having done further maths and physics I have to say that physics is less difficult. I mean they're both difficult, but for someone with average mathematical abilities (at least in my case) I found further maths to be much more difficult. Unfortunately, can't say much about chemistry or biology though!
Original post by Faded-Pi
Having done further maths and physics I have to say that physics is less difficult. I mean they're both difficult, but for someone with average mathematical abilities (at least in my case) I found further maths to be much more difficult. Can't say much about chemistry or biology though!

Can't agree more with this!
I voted biology because #YOLO
Can't agree more with this!

Yeah and I think you were right in saying that it is often (generally) easier to get marks in essay subjects. Especially as the exam boards have very specific words you must mention (or not mention) in physics to get marks.
Original post by Faded-Pi
Yeah and I think you were right in saying that it is often (generally) easier to get marks in essay subjects. Especially as the exam boards have very specific words you must mention (or not mention) in physics to get marks.

Exactly! Essay subjects are so much more general, physics is so specific!
Music. (And I say this as someone who takes Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics).
Reply 90
Chemistry winning this poll 😐👀
History is so much harder because its subjective
Original post by sjgriffiths
I like how the only main considerations for a hard subject are the core sciences.

I did maths, further maths, physics and chemistry but drama and theatre studies was by far the most challenging. Of course, it's all subjective, so for me the sciences came naturally without an awful lot of effort, but it was the art which required me to really push myself to do well in.

Surely what makes a subject difficult is ultimately its position as being outside your comfort zone? (For the most part, of course; I'm not going to attempt to equate further maths with general studies...)

which was hardest and easiest out of further maths chemistry and physics and why and what did u get at A level and gcse in those subjects btw as u seem really smart to be oding them
Original post by youreanutter
some people on other threads said the sheer amount of content makes it the hardest idk tho
but as i remember u from another thread u have photographic memory which must make it 10x easier for u

A photographic memory does not exist, its called eidetic memory.
Exactly! Essay subjects are so much more general, physics is so specific!

Agreed, for a few questions. I never got marks for my working because it was not on the mark scheme.
Went for a remark in the end and scraped A* in Physics Alevel.
Original post by youreanutter
which was hardest and easiest out of further maths chemistry and physics and why and what did u get at A level and gcse in those subjects btw as u seem really smart to be oding them

I'd say maths was the easiest for me due to how pure and straightforward it is, compared to the natural sciences at any least. Chemistry was probably the hardest for me as physics was simply the one I had the most interest in and the one which came to me more naturally - chemistry seemed to take me more effort to get my head around, especially when having to reconfigure my approach from a physicist's viewpoint.

I got A*s in all of these, where applicable, for both GCSE and A-level.
Reply 96
Physics is way harder than chemistry in my opinion
why no ppl mentioning further pure mathematics lol.
oh and english literature is the worst a level i think.
Can someone explain to me why Further maths is even close to Chemistry in terms of difficulty. Sure further maths has more complex concepts, but they're not difficult enough to make the whole subject harder than the sheer amount of rubbish you need to know for Chemistry.
Reply 99
Having experienced Biology and Chemistry, I dropped Chemistry because I felt it was hard. No idea what Physics is like to compare though.

Quick Reply

Latest