The Student Room Group

UN: Gaza Strip to become uninhabitable by 2020

The Gaza Strip may be uninhabitable in five year's time if the Israeli blockade of the coastal enclave continues and vital infrastructure is further damaged in military conflicts, a United Nations report released Tuesday claims.

The report by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) outlines the organization's assistance to the Palestinian people and developments in the economy of the Palestinian territories, focusing on the damage caused by last summer's Operation Protective Edge in Gaza and the expansion of settlements in the West Bank.

"Gaza could become uninhabitable by 2020 if current economic trends persist," according to UNCTAD. "In addition to eight years of economic blockade, in the past six years, Gaza has endured three military operations that have shattered its ability to export and produce for the domestic market, ravaged its already debilitated infrastructure, left no time for reconstruction and economic recovery, and accelerated the de-development of the Occupied Palestinian Territory, a process by which development is not merely hindered but reversed," the report charges.

Gaza is facing both a water and electricity crisis that endangers its future as a result of damage to infrastructure caused in last summer's conflict, the report warns. Of the Strip's 1.8 million inhabitants, half a million have been displaced as a result of Operation Protective Edge and destruction or severe damage was done to 20,000 homes, 247 factories and 300 commercial centers, according to UNCTAD. Unemployment in the Strip has reached 44 percent, the report adds.

Serious damage was done to the economy by the blockade, even before the military operations, the report charges. The blockade "led to the large-scale cessation of productive operations and loss of employment. Exports from Gaza have been almost completely blocked, imports and transfers of cash severely restricted and the flow of all but the most basic humanitarian goods suspended."

UNCTAD argues that support from donors is important for Gaza's recovery and reconstruction, but will not reverse the ongoing de-development and impoverishment in Gaza if Israel's blockade of the Strip is not ended.

Source: Jerusalem Post.

Sickening humanitarian crisis created by Israel, yet the major powers of the world give Israel billions of dollars of military aid every year whilst turning a blind eye to their crimes in the region.

What good is the UN if it can't resolve humanitarian crises like this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Law-Hopeful
Source: Jerusalem Post.

Sickening humanitarian crisis created by Israel, yet the major powers of the world give Israel billions of dollars of military aid every year whilst turning a blind eye to their crimes in the region.

What good is the UN if it can't resolve humanitarian crises like this?

If they spent the money they were given correctly and not used it to fund their attempts at killing Jews they'd be in a much better position than they are now.
Original post by BaconandSauce
If they spent the money they were given correctly and not used it to fund their attempts at killing Jews they'd be in a much better position than they are now.

Did you read the UN report I quoted?

The blockade "led to the large-scale cessation of productive operations and loss of employment. Exports from Gaza have been almost completely blocked, imports and transfers of cash severely restricted and the flow of all but the most basic humanitarian goods suspended."

What money?

As for killing jews... Do you want to compare the number of Palestinians killed by Israel with the number of Israelis killed by Palestinians (resisting an occupation)?

Regardless, your post misses the point; which is that the Israeli-enforced blockade of the Gaza Strip is on its way to creating a humanitarian crisis and the world is doing very little to prevent this.
Reply 3
If they spent the money they were given correctly and not used it to fund their attempts at killing Jews there was no Israel, they'd be in a much better position than they are now.

I've taken the liberty of correcting your statement... :smile:
The UN is useless at these sort of things.If theres any crisis which threatens the interests of a power at the security council,expect it to be vetoed.
Original post by Errm13

And if there was no Gaza Strip, Israel would be in a much better position than it is now. Your point?

People need to let go of their notions of Israel as an illegitimate state that shouldn't exist; it does exist, and that isn't going to change. So you should adapt your views on how best to help the plight of the Palestinians accordingly (imo).
Reply 6
And if there was no Gaza Strip, Israel would be in a much better position than it is now. Your point?

Incorrect.

If there were no Gaza Strip, they'd still be Palestinians living outside the borders of Israel (i.e: Gaza).

The issue is not with a strip of land per se, but the general history of the Israel State to super impose itself upon the Palestinians and kick them out of a land which they have tended for centuries.

People are rightly indignant that the Israeli's encourage Aliyah but refuse to deal with the Palestinian Refugee crisis, which survive on UN Aid and other various donations.

You fail to understand the simple point that if there was no Gaza, there would be no change and also fail to appreciate the fact that conversely, if there was no Israel, the situation would actually be improved.

People need to let go of their notions of Israel as an illegitimate state that shouldn't exist; it does exist, and that isn't going to change. So you should adapt your views on how best to help the plight of the Palestinians accordingly (imo).

The Palestinians won't give up. They'll never give up, be it 70 years down the line or 200 years down the line. They have a very stubborn mentality.

They may not have hope of returning in their lifetimes, but they will pass on their headstrong mentality to their kids, and their kids, and so on and so forth.

In bygone years, I was naive to think that the two state solution would work. I've come to realise that it doesn't. That region doesn't need borders, it needs borders to be torn down.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Errm13

lool
Original post by Errm13

The Palestinians won't give up. They'll never give up, be it 70 years down the line or 200 years down the line. They have a very stubborn mentality.

They may not have hope of returning in their lifetimes, but they will pass on their headstrong mentality to their kids, and their kids, and so on and so forth.
But the PLO already recognised Israel in 1993.

You are being more Catholic than the Pope, as it were.
Reply 9
Yes

The world doesn't care because of the genocidal nature of the Palies

Give them aid and they spend it on bombs and bullets

Why spend it on building a house when the house will be flattened in the next airstrike?

Back to square 1 and a waste of a donation.

Much better that they use donations to improve their situation but they can't do that whilst they are blockaded and under occupation...

You see LW it is the 'muslim response' of there should be no Israeli and that will sort the issue is why most of us don't side with the Palestinians.

Some of us want both sides to be held accountable and both sides to find a resolution

But while some simply support the removal of one of the players then you'll get little support from the majority
(edited 8 years ago)
Funding terror tunnels with a cost of 3 million dollars each, President Abbas building himself a 13 million dollar home, launching 5,000 missiles a year...
Gee, if all of this is done with 'little money', I wonder how much harm would be done if the economic situation were a bit better!
Original post by Errm13
Why spend it on building a house when the house will be flattened in the next airstrike?

Back to square 1 and a waste of a donation.

Much better that they use donations to improve their situation but they can't do that whilst they are blockaded and under occupation...

No you're right better to build tunnels to attacks Jews from

That will help the situation.

But don't bother reply to me as I've already reported you
Reply 13
But the PLO already recognised Israel in 1993.

You are being more Catholic than the Pope, as it were.

It's been 22 years. what change has recognising Israel brought to the Palestinians in the West Bank?

More corruption? Tax receipts withheld? A further encroachment and settlements on Palestinian land? more segregation? Friday protests which haven't borne any fruit?

The Israeli's treat the PLO (Fatah) as crap because they know they can.

Once you accept the legitimacy of the occupational power, your time as an independent is over.
Yes

The world doesn't care because of the genocidal nature of the Palies

Give them aid and they spend it on bombs and bullets

I don't mean to be rude, but you sound as if you've never researched the issue, or ever taken in any nuanced argument against your position.

I'd start with the UN report linked in this thread (which you really should have read before posting), then any book on the matter by Iilan Pappe.
Reply 15
No you're right better to build tunnels to attacks Jews Israeli military targets from

That will help the situation.

But don't bother reply to me as I've already reported you

Attack Israeli military targets.

Must I keep correcting your posts?
The answer to the question is NO
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Funding terror tunnels with a cost of 3 million dollars each, President Abbas building himself a 13 million dollar home, launching 5,000 missiles a year...
Gee, if all of this is done with 'little money', I wonder how much harm would be done if the economic situation were a bit better!

Resisting a violent and brutal occupation enforced by the most militarised nation in the region isn't cheap.

But money isn't of much concern to Israel, considering the USA have provided them with $20 billion of military aid since 2009 to counter the Palestinians armed with their rocks and sticks!

Of course there is corruption, but that doesn't justify the illegal blockade of the Gaza Strip that is causing a humanitarian crisis.

As for the launching 5,000 missiles a year, how many missiles have Israel rained down on the open prison that is the Gaza Strip? For comparison purposes...
Original post by The Clockwork Apple

Yes, let's stave off these primitive 'missles' by further taking the lands from, and oppressing, starving, murdering the children of, Palestinians. That will make them calm, right?

Hey, if we allow Israel to work *extra hard* we might even manage to lower the median age of the denizens below 18! Already 43% of the population is 14 or under, so there isn't too much work left to be done before it becomes a devastated land of destitute, scared, angry children.

http://www.indexmundi.com/gaza_strip/demographics_profile.html
(edited 8 years ago)
Strange how Egypt got fed up with them and blockaded them too.,

Almost as if the 'palestinians' are doing something to p*ss off their neighbours? perhaps killing people in Egypt and Israel has something to do with it.

Maybe all the money they spend on rockets instead of the people.

Or the building equipment sent in to build Gaza. being used for building tunnels which just the other day Hamas were boasting about.

No sympathy for a people that voted in an internationally proscribed terrorist group whose founding mandate is the destruction of a country and the genocide of its people.

Gazans voted for war, and they got exactly what they voted for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending