The Student Room Group

Need advice: failing second year

Hi, apologies in advance if this is in the wrong subforum, I just need somewhere to rant and see what other people think of my situation. So, I resat a module for my mathematics degree where I needed to get 30% to progress to third year; I ended up getting 27% and have been offered a couple of options. I can either: defer a year, where I resit the module again in May/June and begin third year in Sept 2016; start third year as normal and resit the module in May/June, with the risk that if I fail the module again, I basically fail the entire degree; or alternatively just drop out of the course.

Throughout the second year I've struggled with the course due to the sheer content and I guess just not enjoying the course at all, and I just told myself that these feelings are experienced by everyone. For the summer exams, I worked very hard to try and turn it around and come out with at least a 2:2, but ultimately ended up with a year average of 41% which has completely crushed my confidence in my work. I would essentially need to average 70% in everything next year just to achieve a 2:1, which going from my track record seems next to impossible. I basically feel in the position where it's pointless to try and be positive when at every turn it's thrown in my face and I'm disappointed in myself and its making it very hard to see why returning is a plausible idea.

I've spoken to my tutor and the person responsible for progression and both have essentially said "we're not in a position to give advice" which is very frustrating. I've made an appointment with education services on Monday to go over my options.

My main reasons for continuing the course are: I've already signed for a house so I'd need to find someone to fill my room, I've made some good friends for my course that I'd be sad to leave, and I'm already 2 years deep into my 3 year course and don't want to throw away my progress, even if I'm at a really bad average so far. Conversely, if I defer for a year or drop out, I can find a job and earn some money and get on with my life, or even better find a job that relates to my degree that might remind me of the reason why I chose to do my degree in the first place, and basically just bail on Uni and knowing when to call it quits.

I guess I'm just feeling a bit defeated and in limbo. I told myself to prepare for this because things never seem to go my way, haha. I'd really appreciate to hear what other people think, ie if this entire post just screams "drop out of uni" or "you should continue you've got an opportunity" etc etc.

Thanks for reading.
Did you know what you were getting into, honestly before you signed up for the course? What course are you doing, how hard to you work to get into it and did you genuinely want to do that course prior to joining the university? I think you need to consider these things before dropping out.

Good luck.
Original post by Itsallaconundrum
Did you know what you were getting into, honestly before you signed up for the course? What course are you doing, how hard to you work to get into it and did you genuinely want to do that course prior to joining the university? I think you need to consider these things before dropping out.

Good luck.

I'm doing a maths degree.

I loved Maths at A-level and genuinely enjoyed learning all the new stuff, especially because my teacher was incredibly nice and supportive, so doing it at degree level felt like a natural extension. With first year, I definitely struggled with the jump of being able to do relatively well without having to work too hard in GCSE's, A-levels, etc. to suddenly having to put in the actual work to maintain a good grade. With second year I like to think I improved, especially when it came to exam revision but obviously this doesn't show.
I would start 3rd year as normal and retake that module in May/June. You are very lucky to have that option and be able to graduate next year with all your friends! I am in a similar boat and my uni have only given me the option of year without residence :frown:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending