The Student Room Group

i think the uk education system is failing me :/

Scroll to see replies

Here in the UK, people who want to study well will do good and careless people are filtered out quickly by not continuing to FE and HE, while in China it seems like every pupil is forced to do well. Doesn't matter how "bad" your teachers are, just a little bit of determination can take you very far (I've seen people from the most deprived areas going into medical and legal careers). Also, not everybody needs to be educated, we still need people who will mop floors and serve us food.
Reply 21
Original post by Herodotapede
If you think it should be longer why don't you just work outside of school, changing yourself will be a lot easier than changing the whole system.

How do you propose I change myself. I have no idea how to study maths outside of school as they are changing the math test and its going to be way harder and the grades will be in numbers and i cant find any resources for the new maths GCSE's as they reformed the whole exam and for example the new best grades is 2 times higher than the old a*. so what am i meant to do?! And my new science teacher is hopeless. I don't even know what text book to use for maths because i don't think they're any with new material.
If you feel like the system is failing you, why don't you put some extra effort into your work yourself?
Reply 23
Original post by Florality
I think they meant general top grades (A*'s and A's etc) at their schools, not their grades compared to the rest of the world.

Scroll down the page for the ranking
Reply 24
Original post by enaayrah
If you feel like the system is failing you, why don't you put some extra effort into your work yourself?

What do you mean by extra effort into my work? Please explain what you mean in more detail.
Reply 25
Original post by Florality
I think they meant general top grades (A*'s and A's etc) at their schools, not their grades compared to the rest of the world.

Its about test results if you read it properly.
A lot of children and families don't have the aspiration and motivation to think and achieve.

No competition and no fear as they have the welfare system to fall back on.
Original post by Maria1812
Uk students do not get top grades what on earth are you talking about you mean the ones with tutors private schools. If you look at the rankings for test results the uk is behind japan and Singapore and south Korea are in the lead with grades and test results. so i have no idea what on earth your talking about!Here is a source as proof from the BBC website!Here you see the Uk is ranked 20th so think about what you said because i don't think you are right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32608772

there are too many variables to consider to even make a straight up judgement. based on what ground are these statistics any proof that suggests many uk students do not get top grades and then go on to become the best in their field?

exam boards and qualifications are not the same, culture and background diversity is huge. entertain the possibility that it isn't just the education system that is at fault.

also consider the best universities on the planet comprise of a healthy mixture of students from every corner, not due in part to positive discrimination but due to the fact that intelligence is not confined to one plot of land
Reply 28
What do you mean by extra effort into my work? Please explain what you mean in more detail.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLJnnnahpUYO2tOEcXe1mHA

Check this out in your spare time. It's honestly down to you to organise your own time more effectively - others are content with the system and won't spend their time.
Reply 29
I do not want to be relying on the welfare system. I feel pressure to achieve as my mom did not achieve her potential and my family has no history of high achievement and i want to change that. well my granddad has his own carpenter business, but my family does not have any high profile jobs like lawyer,doctor, jobs that need more studying and earn better money. I'm not saying any job is bad but some jobs allow you to have a better life and earn more money.

Work harder outside school, go over content etc by yourself.

I went to a poor state comprehensive for my GCSEs and that was the way I got through it all. Never hired a private tutor or anything either
I'm just going to take the liberty of splitting up this wall of text to make it easier to respond to...

The kids in Asia get better grades because they are more disciplined and learn better therefore. Do you see the link between discipline and good pupils and good grades or do i have to point it out to you.

From the 'duh' tone of voice you seem to be using, it seems that everything is fairly black and white in your mind with no grey areas. First of all, correlation does not imply causation. Look that up if you don't understand it. Second of all, you ignored all of my last post to go on in a rather unlettered rant: better grades aren't the goal here. Or at least for me they aren't. You don't seem to realise that good grades do not necessarily equal good pupils. Any moron can pass a GCSE-level exam by cramming the night before. It doesn't necessarily mean he's a good pupil.

Third, it really isn't that black and white. Those countries have a culture where education is highly valued; we have had, for a long time, a culture that gives people the option to go on the dole and just rely on the government for as long as they feel like it. In those countries, parents want their kids to have stable, well-paid jobs. How do you get such jobs? Well, you educate yourself. It's a direct consequence that we have the option of failing - for a long time, people in China and Singapore didn't. Failure meant a life of poverty and misery and, to an extent, still does mean those things.

school should be grade based no one cares what you know unless the grade on your paper is an a or a* that's what matters right now in life. you can be the smartest person but if you get a c or d and go to some university no one ever heard of no one will employ you or care how smart you are unless that paper says so. this is the reality of modern life!

How flawed your thinking is... Let me tell you the reality of modern life: I went to a Cardiff University open day last year. I live in Cardiff and my school had given everybody the day off to go to the open day. At the end of the day I met up with some friends outside one of the buildings and they were still carrying these Cardiff University bags that they'd given out at the start of the day and I'd long since disposed of. One of them informed me that he'd gone to KFC for lunch where, upon seeing the bag that he was holding, the guy behind the counter told him he'd studied Physics at Cardiff and that it was a good university. And yet the irony of the situation was clear: here was somebody who had got As and A*s 'on paper' and gone to a good university to study a challenging subject and where was he now? In a minimum wage, dead-end job. So get this 'if I get the grades, I'll be successful' nonsense out of your head.

You will more likely join the inordinately large scrap heap of graduates with 2:1s from Russell Group universities and a debt mountain that they will likely never pay off because they, like you, were always chasing after this grade or that university in the firm belief that if they did so, they would be successful. If you knew anything about these matters at all you'd know that it was recently found that more than half of graduates are in non-graduate jobs. Like it or not, the reality of their lives is that their degrees are worth little more than toilet paper as far as their employment prospects are concerned.

You are a prime example of the sort of person this education system produces. Shouting down anybody who's trying to reason with you because you've started a thread not to learn anything (oh, the irony...) but to vent your frustration that your life isn't good enough and it won't be good enough but you don't know why. You would rather blame the system for not being crappy enough.

Thats the problem with uk they're not strict enough and people dont care about grades as much. i think it you get bad grades you should feel ashamed instead of parents telling kids it's okay you do better next time. someone in my class pretty much had bad grades at the end of the year and did not care that much at all, i know thats not everyone but some people are like that.

Right... That's the problem with the UK. As for the bit in bold, I look forward to seeing you on this forum in two years' (or however many years) time having flunked your A-levels crying out for sympathy and advice. You certainly won't get any from me, with this arrogant, knee-jerk mindset of yours.

People, in reality, do care about grades a lot. Too much. Your whole argument that 'this is the way it is, so this is the way it must remain!' is logically incoherent in extremis.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by cheesedrew
there are too many variables to consider to even make a straight up judgement. based on what ground are these statistics any proof that suggests many uk students do not get top grades and then go on to become the best in their field?

exam boards and qualifications are not the same, culture and background diversity is huge. entertain the possibility that it isn't just the education system that is at fault.

also consider the best universities on the planet comprise of a healthy mixture of students from every corner, not due in part to positive discrimination but due to the fact that intelligence is not confined to one plot of land

Education in some places is better than others, do not deny that it's not if you went to a place like Cambodia where there are not as many resources and not everyone goes to school, and the quality of education is not as good in countries such as Japan. japan is more developed and have more access to education and resources,so education would be better there than in a country such as Cambodia for example.
Reply 33
You're talking in statistics about being book-smart, if you want to really go far in life you need to take responsibility for your own learning - sitting in front of a board and copying what someone says is one thing, going out and finding the information yourself, finding problems that challenge you yourself and working towards something is another and is ultimately far more useful.
Uk students do not get top grades what on earth are you talking about you mean the ones with tutors private schools. If you look at the rankings for test results the uk is behind japan and Singapore and south Korea are in the lead with grades and test results. so i have no idea what on earth your talking about!Here is a source as proof from the BBC website!Here you see the Uk is ranked 20th so think about what you said because i don't think you are right.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32608772

If you're that bothered by it, emigrate. We can do without people like you who strut around pretending like they know everything while knowing nothing at all.
Its about test results if you read it properly.

I wasn't on about the actual link you gave. I was talking about the person who your reply (with that link in) was directed to.
Education in some places is better than others, do not deny that it's not if you went to a place like Cambodia where there are not as many resources and not everyone goes to school, and the quality of education is not as good in countries such as Japan. japan is more developed and have more access to education and resources,so education would be better there than in a country such as Cambodia for example.

isn't it great that the success of others around you doesn't dictate your own success. those without yearn to have, those with little strive to expand.

your thread title: you "think" the education system is failing you. whether you believe other countries like japan are superior in teaching method is up to you. i can definitely see where you're coming from.
however my point still stands that if you have the heart and drive, you can be the best irrespective of what school you happen to attend.

be the exception and don't let the numbers deter you
Reply 37
Original post by Hydeman
I'm just going to take the liberty of splitting up this wall of text to make it easier to respond to...

From the 'duh' tone of voice you seem to be using, it seems that everything is fairly black and white in your mind with no grey areas. First of all, correlation does not imply causation. Look that up if you don't understand it. Second of all, you ignored all of my last post to go on in a rather unlettered rant: better grades aren't the goal here. Or at least for me they aren't. You don't seem to realise that good grades do not necessarily equal good pupils. Any moron can pass a GCSE-level exam by cramming the night before. It doesn't necessarily mean he's a good pupil.

Third, it really isn't that black and white. Those countries have a culture where education is highly valued; we have had, for a long time, a culture that gives people the option to go on the dole and just rely on the government for as long as they feel like it. In those countries, parents want their kids to have stable, well-paid jobs. How do you get such jobs? Well, you educate yourself. It's a direct consequence that we have the option of failing - for a long time, people in China and Singapore didn't. Failure meant a life of poverty and misery and, to an extent, still does mean those things.

How flawed your thinking is... Let me tell you the reality of modern life: I went to a Cardiff University open day last year. I live in Cardiff and my school had given everybody the day off to go to the open day. At the end of the day I met up with some friends outside one of the buildings and they were still carrying these Cardiff University bags that they'd given out at the start of the day and I'd long since disposed of. One of them informed me that he'd gone to KFC for lunch where, upon seeing the bag that he was holding, the guy behind the counter told him he'd studied Physics at Cardiff and that it was a good university. And yet the irony of the situation was clear: here was somebody who had got As and A*s 'on paper' and gone to a good university to study a challenging subject and where was he now? In a minimum wage, dead-end job. So get this nonsense of 'if I get the grades, I'll be successful' nonsense out of your head.

You will more likely join the inordinately large scrap heap of graduates with 2:1s from Russell Group universities and a debt mountain that they will likely never pay off because they, like you, were always chasing after this grade or that university in the firm belief that if they did so, they would be successful. If you knew anything about these matters at all you'd know that it was recently found that more than half of graduates are in non-graduate jobs. Like it or not, the reality of their lives is that their degrees are worth little more than toilet paper as far as their employment prospects are concerned.

You are a prime example of the sort of person this education system produces. Shouting down anybody who's trying to reason with you because you've started a thread not to learn anything (oh, the irony...) but to vent your frustration that your life isn't good enough and it won't be good enough but you don't know why. You would rather blame the system for not being crappy enough.

Right... That's the problem with the UK. As for the bit in bold, I look forward to seeing you on this forum in two years' (or however many years) time having flunked your A-levels crying out for sympathy and advice. You certainly won't get any from me, with this arrogant, knee-jerk mindset of yours.

People, in reality, do care about grades a lot. Too much. Your whole argument that 'this is the way it is, so this is the way it must remain!' is logically incoherent in extremis.

First of all i want to go to universities such as imperial and Cambridge which are elite and not "Cardiff'. the reason maybe that guy ended up in Mcdonalds was because he did not have the drive to realise his dream of having a job related with physics. you should not say oh he went to university and now he works in mcdonalds did you think to ask yourself why this is the reason, it might not be just cos he didn't! and i will not fail my a levels. you might be satisfied with going to universities which are kind of known but not as elite as imperial college,but i'm different okay, its good to go to Cardiff but i have higher expectations for myself, everyone in life wants something different!
Reply 38
Original post by Hydeman
If you're that bothered by it, emigrate. We can do without people like you who strut around pretending like they know everything while knowing nothing at all.

First of all MR. smartypants emigration is not easy for example to emigrate to another country and live there such as japan you need a visa and someway to support yourself and other things. It's not as easy as you make it out to be so stop trying to act like you know everything because you do not.
Reply 39
First of all i want to go to universities such as imperial and Cambridge which are elite and not "Cardiff'. the reason maybe that guy ended up in Mcdonalds was because he did not have the drive to realise his dream of having a job related with physics. you should not say oh he went to university and now he works in mcdonalds did you think to ask yourself why this is the reason, it might not be just cos he didn't! and i will not fail my a levels. you might be satisfied with going to universities which are kind of known but not as elite as imperial college,but i'm different okay, its good to go to Cardiff but i have higher expectations for myself, everyone in life wants something different!

Gotta stop thinking of everything in terms of rankings honey. An average over many millions of students says very little about you. I go to a top 10 uni in the world, school supported me but ultimately it's your own hard work that gets you there. A guy about 8-9 years ago got a place to Oxford from one of the poorly funded schools in our city, nothing to do with the teachers there.

By the way, I'm ethnically from the countries you mention, I would never ever want to study there. Being forced by society and culture only creates insecurity and sort of skews the reasons for education, have you thought about what you want to do when your older? Maybe gain some experience in that sector?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending