The Student Room Group

Biomedical science students

So I am applying to study biomedical science in 2016. At the moment, my top university choices are Newcastle and Uo Manchester. I just wanted to ask anyone who applied this year/is already studying, what university they attend, what a levels they did and what grades they got at AS and then at A2. Just because I'm a little stuck and knowing all that info would be great, thank you in advance xx
Original post by ievarem
So I am applying to study biomedical science in 2016. At the moment, my top university choices are Newcastle and Uo Manchester. I just wanted to ask anyone who applied this year/is already studying, what university they attend, what a levels they did and what grades they got at AS and then at A2. Just because I'm a little stuck and knowing all that info would be great, thank you in advance xx

What's your career plan?
I'm applying to do Biomedical Sciences this year too, as it's the most similar degree to Medicine. My choices currently are:
- University of Birmingham
- Aston University
- King's College London
- University of Nottingham
- Nottingham Trent (Backup for lower grade entry)

I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry, and Maths, and achieved three Bs at the end of AS (Going to retake a few modules to help bulk up the A Level after A2).
Original post by AcademicDope
I'm applying to do Biomedical Sciences this year too, as it's the most similar degree to Medicine. My choices currently are:
- University of Birmingham
- Aston University
- King's College London
- University of Nottingham
- Nottingham Trent (Backup for lower grade entry)

I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry, and Maths, and achieved three Bs at the end of AS (Going to retake a few modules to help bulk up the A Level after A2).

What's your career plan? :smile: do you like lab work?
Original post by Uz25
What's your career plan? :smile: do you like lab work?

I'm thinking of going into PGM after this degree if I'm not enchanted by Biomedical Sciences, but it'll most likely be finishing off a degree in Biomed, and continue on with further study, until I achieve a PhD. I sound way too materialistic and optimistic, but that's my general path that I'm going to follow with a few alterations through the years. So for career aspirations, I'm just going to say none for now, though I've been heavily interested in working as a Physician's Associate.

When it comes to lab work, I'm more of a theorertical than a practical person, so I'm trying to avoid heading into a career that utilises lab work on a daily basis. However, it may be the case that I do enjoy lab work after this degree.
I'm thinking of going into PGM after this degree if I'm not enchanted by Biomedical Sciences, but it'll most likely be finishing off a degree in Biomed, and continue on with further study, until I achieve a PhD. I sound way too materialistic and optimistic, but that's my general path that I'm going to follow with a few alterations through the years. So for career aspirations, I'm just going to say none for now, though I've been heavily interested in working as a Physician's Associate.

When it comes to lab work, I'm more of a theorertical than a practical person, so I'm trying to avoid heading into a career that utilises lab work on a daily basis. However, it may be the case that I do enjoy lab work after this degree.

Sounds like an interesting plan:smile:
I personally not a fan of lab work therefore, don't want to go into a lab based career. Unfortunately, biomedical science just seems to lead to lab based careers unless you do something else after.

Are you just applying for biomedical science or any other courses ?

So far I'm planning on applying for dietetics biomedical science and biochemistry. I need to think about the other 2. Might pop in radiography but that won't work aha ; )
Original post by Uz25
Sounds like an interesting plan:smile:
I personally not a fan of lab work therefore, don't want to go into a lab based career. Unfortunately, biomedical science just seems to lead to lab based careers unless you do something else after.

Are you just applying for biomedical science or any other courses ?

So far I'm planning on applying for dietetics biomedical science and biochemistry. I need to think about the other 2. Might pop in radiography but that won't work aha ; )

Well, we might cross pathways. I'm applying for Biomedical Sciences and Anatomical Sciences, because I've always wanted to partake in human dissections, which, as memory serves, only students in Anatomy, Medicine and Surgery, and Biomedical Sciences (Sheffield) can do, though someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, Biomedical Sciences trains you to undergo the more lab based professions, rather than the healthcare types, which is what I want to do.
Well, we might cross pathways. I'm applying for Biomedical Sciences and Anatomical Sciences, because I've always wanted to partake in human dissections, which, as memory serves, only students in Anatomy, Medicine and Surgery, and Biomedical Sciences (Sheffield) can do, though someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah, Biomedical Sciences trains you to undergo the more lab based professions, rather than the healthcare types, which is what I want to do.

I'm more into a healthcare career :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending