The Student Room Group

Is Computing a strong A level?

It's not on the Trinity list of preferred subjects but the Oxford Computer Science considers it, however I am considering doing it along Maths etc. I am not applying to do Computer Science at University (or Oxbridge).

Should I email admissions departments to check?
Original post by CharliesBird
It's not on the Trinity list of preferred subjects but the Oxford Computer Science considers it, however I am considering doing it along Maths etc. I am not applying to do Computer Science at University (or Oxbridge).

Should I email admissions departments to check?

It is always worth speaking to the admissions team at your preferred university to ask them for the advice. Computing isn't a requirement for most Computer based degree courses, and Computer Science A level is now replacing Computing anyway and starting to bridge the gap between GCSE IT and a Computer Science degree. You don't mention what you are planning to study at University, if you could please let me know your subject choice, I can give you some idea of the courses you should be taking

Hope that helps

Matt - LearnOnline
Reply 2
Original post by LearnOnline
It is always worth speaking to the admissions team at your preferred university to ask them for the advice. Computing isn't a requirement for most Computer based degree courses, and Computer Science A level is now replacing Computing anyway and starting to bridge the gap between GCSE IT and a Computer Science degree. You don't mention what you are planning to study at University, if you could please let me know your subject choice, I can give you some idea of the courses you should be taking

Hope that helps

Matt - LearnOnline

£600?

Reply 3
You shouldn't really be studying an A-Level just because of what universities think about it. Truth of the matter, universities don't care about you nor your grade, they just want your money.

You should only ever pick a subject if you have a keen interest in doing it. If you don't then don't bother. Especially a subject like Computer Science, I did it at A-Level and I tell you, if you do not have the enough interest or passion for the subject, you will fail.

Computing/Computer Science is among one of the hardest A-Level simply because it requires so much of your dedication and out side of lesson individual study. The programming aspects to be specific.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Async
You shouldn't really be studying an A-Level just because of what universities think about it. Truth of the matter, universities don't care about you nor your grade, they just want your money.

You should only ever pick a subject if you have a keen interest in doing it. If you don't then don't bother. Especially a subject like Computer Science, I did it at A-Level and I tell you, if you do not have the enough interest or passion for the subject, you will fail.

Computing/Computer Science is among one of the hardest A-Level simply because it requires so much of your dedication and out side of lesson individual study. The programming aspects to be specific.

Can I PM you about this? ty
Reply 5
Original post by CharliesBird
Can I PM you about this? ty

Yeah sure feel free to PM me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending