The Student Room Group

Have you ever cried during an interview?

Hi,

Very random I know, but just wondering if you've ever cried during an interview? If so, why? x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Little Old Me
Hi,

Very random I know, but just wondering if you've ever cried during an interview? If so, why? x

I had a person that cried at the interview. She knew she didn't get the job. I am surprised applied for it as she was a bully and couldn't do her current job. 👍🏽
Original post by J-SP
I've had three candidates cry when I've interviewed them. That makes me sound terrible, but that is out of 1000s of interviews.

They were all talking about something emotive, so not surprising that's what they did to some extent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, fair enough! What field do you work in and what job do you do? x
I've thrown up does that count? :')
Original post by Salon
I had a person that cried at the interview. She knew she didn't get the job. I am surprised applied for it as she was a bully and couldn't do her current job. 👍🏽

Ohh! It's horrible when you're convinced that you didn't get the job. she doesn't sound very nice x
Original post by Rhiannonjayne
I've thrown up does that count? :':wink:

Oh nooo did you really? Was it nerves? How did the interviewers react? I hope they were nice! x
Reply 6
Original post by J-SP
I've had three candidates cry when I've interviewed them. That makes me sound terrible, but that is out of 1000s of interviews.

They were all talking about something emotive, so not surprising that's what they did to some extent.

Did you you reject them in the end?
Original post by Little Old Me
Oh nooo did you really? Was it nerves? How did the interviewers react? I hope they were nice! x

I think I was just ill to be honest... They just kind of said "We'll let you know". Wasn't too bothered though because I already had a better offer!
Reply 8
Yes 👍🏽
Reply 9
I remember when I left school when I was struggling to get my 1st job. Had an interview for some stock counting job (Orridge i think the company was). Interviewer had a bit of an attitude (In my 17 year old mind). He was basicly going on about how he goes through 30 young people like me a day and rarely does he actually find anyone nowadays who he feels would be able to actually work an honest days work. Not sure exactly which point in his speech he was at but I decided to stand up mid interview, shout "Well you know what this seems like a total utter waste of my ****ing time then if your just going to be a condescending piece of ****", and walk out of the interview.

I remember being proud of myself for all of 30 seconds after leaving before I suddenly became scared ****less that he would somehow tell every other company that I apply to that Id walked out of an interview and was rude to him. Told my mum this and she laughed, found a job about a month later that I really enjoyed.
Reply 10
Original post by CAElite
I remember when I left school when I was struggling to get my 1st job. Had an interview for some stock counting job (Orridge i think the company was). Interviewer had a bit of an attitude (In my 17 year old mind). He was basicly going on about how he goes through 30 young people like me a day and rarely does he actually find anyone nowadays who he feels would be able to actually work an honest days work. Not sure exactly which point in his speech he was at but I decided to stand up mid interview, shout "Well you know what this seems like a total utter waste of my ****ing time then if your just going to be a condescending piece of ****", and walk out of the interview.

I remember being proud of myself for all of 30 seconds after leaving before I suddenly became scared ****less that he would somehow tell every other company that I apply to that Id walked out of an interview and was rude to him. Told my mum this and she laughed, found a job about a month later that I really enjoyed.

Oh, wow. That was boss of you :adore: I'd never have the courage to do that.
I have cried inside, but not physically.

"What interests you in this scholarship?"

"The money..... is the first thing I saw". I tried to rescue that after, but didn't get the scholarship in the end.
Original post by m3m
Oh, wow. That was boss of you :adore: I'd never have the courage to do that.

Haha think that was a one off lol the guy just really rubbed me the wrong way. Ive had extreme urges to answer questions "truthfully" though but never followed through.

"Why do you want to work for this company"
"Im skint its a last resort"

Not sure what kind of reaction that would get :biggrin:.
No, but I've had my voice go half way through because I was too scared to take the water lol. I forgot that taking a sip of water gave me a few seconds to think about what I was gonna say. xD I got told that I was good but didn't have the experience so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.
Reply 14
No, but very close! I was talking about something emotive and personal. Only do that when you are confident about using an example from your personal life.
(edited 8 years ago)
I once got called a portly pig and they poked me with measuring rods for my portliness
No but I did cry after I had left the interview straight away lol
I once had a really badly watering eye ... think I got sun cream in it or something.
90% of my efforts in that interview were directed at not rubbing my eye :cry2:
Original post by bassbabe
No but I did cry after I had left the interview straight away lol

Couldn't rep :h:
Nearly, on at least two occasions.

I was very unhappy in my first graduate job, I was living alone in London and was feeling bored and unfulfilled, desperately looking for an escape. In the interview for my last job, I said that I was unhappy and I nearly choked up a bit.

For the first PhD interview I attended, for a project really wanted, I knew I'd screwed up my presentation and I just couldn't focus on answering the questions properly. Didn't get that one, obviously.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending