The Student Room Group

My interviewer made me cry

Today I had a university interview. I was super nervous and felt it was all going wrong. The interviewer asked whether I had any questions so I said, 'If I don't get in what is the one lesson I should take away?' He gave me a really good, genuine answer and I started crying. It was even more embarrassing than if I'd just left without asking anything. I feel that I've probably failed the interview but also that I humiliated myself in front of the very academics who have inspired me. It's gonna take a while to get over this...
Original post by k59533
Today I had a university interview. I was super nervous and felt it was all going wrong. The interviewer asked whether I had any questions so I said, 'If I don't get in what is the one lesson I should take away?' He gave me a really good, genuine answer and I started crying. It was even more embarrassing than if I'd just left without asking anything. I feel that I've probably failed the interview but also that I humiliated myself in front of the very academics who have inspired me. It's gonna take a while to get over this...

Hi @k59533!

Firstly, I want to say I hope you are okay and well done for getting through the interview!

I understand that you might be feeling a little embarrassed but it honestly isn't something that you should feel ashamed about; everyone cries, and a lot of people cry when they are feeling super overwhelmed and anxious. The question that you asked the interviewer is a brilliant one and that will have definitely impressed the interviewer as many people are unable to think of questions to ask an interviewer during their interview, so honestly a big well done!!

This circumstance will have probably happened to the interviewer before and I'm sure he will not have judged you, and definitely will not have failed you over this, your anxiety for this interview shows that you cared on doing well which the interviewer will have appreciated.

I honestly believe that the interview will have gone better than you believed it to have and it is natural for people to dwell on the negatives rather than the positives, and there are so many positives that you have illustrated during this interview that will be held in higher esteem than the negatives.

Try to rest and perhaps spend this evening doing activities that you enjoy and will be able to take your mind off the interview if you are able to do so :smile:. Once again, well done for getting through the interview and I hope it works out for you!

Nicole
First year law student
Reply 2
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi @k59533!

Firstly, I want to say I hope you are okay and well done for getting through the interview!

I understand that you might be feeling a little embarrassed but it honestly isn't something that you should feel ashamed about; everyone cries, and a lot of people cry when they are feeling super overwhelmed and anxious. The question that you asked the interviewer is a brilliant one and that will have definitely impressed the interviewer as many people are unable to think of questions to ask an interviewer during their interview, so honestly a big well done!!

This circumstance will have probably happened to the interviewer before and I'm sure he will not have judged you, and definitely will not have failed you over this, your anxiety for this interview shows that you cared on doing well which the interviewer will have appreciated.

I honestly believe that the interview will have gone better than you believed it to have and it is natural for people to dwell on the negatives rather than the positives, and there are so many positives that you have illustrated during this interview that will be held in higher esteem than the negatives.

Try to rest and perhaps spend this evening doing activities that you enjoy and will be able to take your mind off the interview if you are able to do so :smile:. Once again, well done for getting through the interview and I hope it works out for you!

Nicole
First year law student

Thanks for this response. I'm drowning myself in chocolate milk and watching sad romance movies for an excuse to cry more! :tongue:
Thanks for beaming me up this has helped and I shall read over it every day until the uni sends feedback. Bless you!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by k59533

Bro what did he say??.
Reply 4
Original post by Akaninto
Bro what did he say??.

He said that students should be aware of their intentions. Only when people do things for the right reason will they find their true calling. It was something along those lines.
Original post by k59533

Well, you went into an academic interview perhaps for the first time in your life and perhaps also had no idea what to expect. Regardless, you gave it your all and though it was a rough experience, perhaps that was because the interviewers were trying to stretch you because you started off really well. That is not a sign of failure.

You should also bear in mind that your question asked if you don’t get in. Their answer to that question does not necessarily mean that they will reject you or that you are a bad fit for whatever plans you have later down the line. Your chances are not gone yet.
Reply 6
You haven't humiliated yourself and the academics won't care. We have people crying on our shoulders about something or other all the time, honestly. I get it on average twice a week!
@k59533

It's a great question, but perhaps have a couple of questions prepared in advance next time which are unlikely to trigger an emotional response.

I think it's always good to ask the interviewer about themselves. For example, how did know that they wanted to pursue a set subject or career? What were some of the challenges they faced? What do they love most about their subject? What would they tell their junior self if they were just starting university?

Be creative, but by steering the interview towards them, you will find out a little more about them and hopefully some useful information that will help you going forward.

All the best!

Hope you get in,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending