The Student Room Group

Civil Service Investigation/ Intelligence Officer Role

Hi all,

This was a role within HMRC. Just wondering whether anyone here applied for this vacancy? There were quite a few jobs going in cities all over the place. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I applied for this (I particularly liked the look of the Risk and Intelligence role!). I completed the situation test and saw on the feedback that I scored better than 85% of people who had previously taken the test so I really hope I get offered an interview:crossedf:.Although I wasn't sure about my competency answers, 250 words is such a small word limit...

I haven't heard anything else about the job since I took the test though - but this is the civil service (I'm currently working in the CS in a different department) so I know these things usually go at a very slow pace :tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by lucywils82
I applied for this (I particularly liked the look of the Risk and Intelligence role!). I completed the situation test and saw on the feedback that I scored better than 85% of people who had previously taken the test so I really hope I get offered an interview:crossedf:.Although I wasn't sure about my competency answers, 250 words is such a small word limit...

I haven't heard anything else about the job since I took the test though - but this is the civil service (I'm currently working in the CS in a different department) so I know these things usually go at a very slow pace :tongue:

:-) Well done on your score. I also scored well in the online test but do you think they will consider our high scores? I thought they would just pass everyone through to the next stage who met the minimum score and not consider it after that except if there was a tie between two candidates. They will probably invite to interview depending on how well we did with the competency statements. I feel the same about my competency answers, I haven't had much practise with writing such statements. But fingers crossed that we get through to the interview stage. It would at least be good practise!

Interviews are expected in October/ November. I feel sure we won't hear back until at least another week.

How do you feel about the unsociable hours? Seems like the RIS role requires more flexibility but does seem really exciting!
Hi

I applied for tax professional/operational delivery caseworker within the HMRC. This vacancy was about a week before the job of investigator/ intelligence officer. Really anxious to see the results. I got 82% better than people in the situational test but nervous about the competency. I couldn't decide wether to use one example with the 250 words or use two/three examples with the 250 word. I went with the latter. Eagerly awaiting to see if I've banked an interview.

Fingers crossed for you guys! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by rebecca_:)
Hi

I applied for tax professional/operational delivery caseworker within the HMRC. This vacancy was about a week before the job of investigator/ intelligence officer. Really anxious to see the results. I got 82% on the situational test but nervous about the competency. I couldn't decide wether too use one example with the 250 words or use two/three with the 250. I went with the latter. Eagerly awaiting to see if I've banked an interview.

Fingers crossed for you guys! :smile:

Thanks Rebecca!

The wait seems unkindly long. :tongue:

I sure hope we all hear good news! I am a new job hunter so I don't have much experience with this sort of thing, that's why I would love to get to the interview stage- to get a feel for interviews etc. But I'd love to get the job too. :wink:
Reply 5
Hi guys. I just got this email:

'Dear -

Re: CSR/2066/15 - Tax Professional and Operational Delivery Higher Officer and Officer Caseworker.

I am able to confirm that your application has now progressed to the interview stage.

We are making arrangements to set up interviews and we will be in touch with you shortly to advise how you can book your interview time slot.

Kind regards,

Civil Service Resourcing'

Did any of you get this email? There's over 400 vacancies. No word on when the interview will be but it on the advert it said early November. Good luck to us all, seems like a good opportunity.
I got this email! What location have you applied to? There was about 14-16 locations with 400 vacancies. So excited. Hopefully the interview leads to a job. Caseworking sounds interesting :smile:
Reply 7
I got this email! What location have you applied to? There was about 14-16 locations with 400 vacancies. So excited. Hopefully the interview leads to a job. Caseworking sounds interesting :smile:

Yes I was pleased as well! I applied for the London locations because I live in Greater London. The job does sound interesting. I also prefer competency interviews to the other job interviews I had. What location have you gone for?
Reply 8
Original post by OneJuanMata
Hi all,

I got the same email. I was looking at the FAQ and it seemed very vague. It mentions normal working hours etc but there's no mention of flexi. Obviously it's not to most important factor but I only went for the flexi option on my application as I currently have it at the minute. Does anyone have more info regarding that?

Also I'm guessing it'd be a competency based interview like seems to be standard for the civil service these days

Yes its definitely competency based. I honestly don't know about flexi time or what the job advert specified. But seeing as they haven't even sorted out how to book interviews yet it's unsurprising they haven't explained the other aspects of the job. Just make sure you ask them about it at the interview?
Reply 9
Original post by jav3185
Hi guys. I just got this email:

'Dear -

Re: CSR/2066/15 - Tax Professional and Operational Delivery Higher Officer and Officer Caseworker.

I am able to confirm that your application has now progressed to the interview stage.

We are making arrangements to set up interviews and we will be in touch with you shortly to advise how you can book your interview time slot.

Kind regards,

Civil Service Resourcing'

Did any of you get this email? There's over 400 vacancies. No word on when the interview will be but it on the advert it said early November. Good luck to us all, seems like a good opportunity.

Well done. :smile: Congratulations on getting to the next stage! I didn't apply for this role so of course I did not hear anything. :tongue: I didn't even see this role advertised. Completely missed it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Attercop
Well done. :smile: Congratulations on getting to the next stage! I didn't apply for this role so of course I did not hear anything. :tongue: I didn't even see this role advertised. Completely missed it.

Fingers crossed for you now attercop! I feel I may have lead this tread away from its title haha :')
Reply 11
Fingers crossed for you now attercop! I feel I may have lead this tread away from its title haha :':wink:

😊 Thank you! And that's totally okay.
Reply 12

Aw thank you. But don't worry I think the deadline for your role was a week later so hopefully today or by the end of the week you should hear something.
I applied for the tax professional operational delivery caseworker role too and I got the same e-mail yesterday :biggrin: Well done to everyone else who got through to interviews!

Tbh I'm slightly more interested in the investigator/intelligence officer role but I'd be very very happy with either one as both would be a step up for me and would hopefully be more interesting work than what I'm doing currently.

Original post by OneJuanMata
That's grand thanks. Well I stated I wanted to flexi time but I'll see how it goes. It'll be my first question at the interview haha. I'm not even too sure what the job entails to be honest. Finding it hard to get decent info online about it

On the job advert it does list flexible working as one of the working patterns so I'd say it's likely they'll offer it. But if you want to know before interviews you could always e-mail the email address on the job advert to find out :smile:

Interviews are expected in October/ November. I feel sure we won't hear back until at least another week.

How do you feel about the unsociable hours? Seems like the RIS role requires more flexibility but does seem really exciting!

I saw yesterday that my application status for this role has changed from online test complete to application being considered (I don't know if yours already said that?) hopefully that means we're going to hear something soon!

I don't really mind about the unsociable hours, I'm happy we get an extra allowance for it though. I've worked in retail before where I'd be expected to work those hours anyway and I wouldn't get any extra pay for it so I'm happy with it. The allowance for RIS source management is huge though - 12k! :shock: That's like a whole annual salary for some people.

Do you mind the unsociable hours? It looks like there's a bit less of them required in the investigator role so that would be the role to go for if you're not keen on them. I don't know how much our preferences will be taken into account anyway so it's probably good to be ok with either role.
Reply 14
Original post by lucywils82
I applied for the tax professional operational delivery caseworker role too and I got the same e-mail yesterday :biggrin: Well done to everyone else who got through to interviews!

Tbh I'm slightly more interested in the investigator/intelligence officer role but I'd be very very happy with either one as both would be a step up for me and would hopefully be more interesting work than what I'm doing currently.

On the job advert it does list flexible working as one of the working patterns so I'd say it's likely they'll offer it. But if you want to know before interviews you could always e-mail the email address on the job advert to find out :smile:

I saw yesterday that my application status for this role has changed from online test complete to application being considered (I don't know if yours already said that?) hopefully that means we're going to hear something soon!

I don't really mind about the unsociable hours, I'm happy we get an extra allowance for it though. I've worked in retail before where I'd be expected to work those hours anyway and I wouldn't get any extra pay for it so I'm happy with it. The allowance for RIS source management is huge though - 12k! :shock: That's like a whole annual salary for some people.

Do you mind the unsociable hours? It looks like there's a bit less of them required in the investigator role so that would be the role to go for if you're not keen on them. I don't know how much our preferences will be taken into account anyway so it's probably good to be ok with either role.

I don't mind working unsociable hours. I would much rather work unsociable hours but enjoy the work than normal hours and dislike the work. But I am torn between both roles!

Also there are not that many unsociable hours to work in a year compared to the normal hours we will be asked to work. 😊 So I am cool with it. Yeah, the allowance is pretty good. πŸ˜›

Yes, I saw that too! My application status has changed in the past day or two to "Application being considered". I think we may hear back from next week onwards hopefully. Now I am hoping what we hear is positive news. 😐 I'm quite nervous because I haven't really had practise with writing competency answers and I know the competition will be stiff.

Congratulations on the interview for the tax professional role. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi all,

I've been trawling these forums for the last two weeks desperate for clues about this job. Finally decided today i should probably create an account. Anyway, just want to say good luck to everyone who's applied. I'm in the same boat as a few of you i think, good scores on the online test a couple of weeks ago and my status has recently gone to "being considered".

I don't know if anyone has found this yet, but there's some good clues as to what the job might entail if you have a look at the HMRC manual. Just google CH20000 - Information & Inspection Powers and it comes right up. Fingers crossed we hear something soon before i die of anticipation
Reply 16
Original post by Detjimbob
Hi all,

I've been trawling these forums for the last two weeks desperate for clues about this job. Finally decided today i should probably create an account. Anyway, just want to say good luck to everyone who's applied. I'm in the same boat as a few of you i think, good scores on the online test a couple of weeks ago and my status has recently gone to "being considered".

I don't know if anyone has found this yet, but there's some good clues as to what the job might entail if you have a look at the HMRC manual. Just google CH20000 - Information & Inspection Powers and it comes right up. Fingers crossed we hear something soon before i die of anticipation

Thanks so much for that information. 😊 I wasn't aware of that. Yes, I think we can expect to hear something (hopefully positive) from next week onwards.
If you read the EO/HO HMRC Near Misses thread then that's essentially the same job, they are just doing a different application process.

I'm surprised they are doing large scale interviews if I'm honest. I didn't think HMRC had the resources.
Is it usual for HMRC to do such a big scale recruitment? As there will be all the TSP near missus undertaking O/HO roles, the investigation/intelligence role & tax professional/op delivery caseworker. Sounds like a good time to have been applying! :smile:
Reply 19
Is it usual for HMRC to do such a big scale recruitment? As there will be all the TSP near missus undertaking O/HO roles, the investigation/intelligence role & tax professional/op delivery caseworker. Sounds like a good time to have been applying! :smile:

You'll never get a better chance to get a job at HMRC, loads of staff at HMRC are near retirement and others were offered redundancy packages. Plus HMRC didn't recruit for many years, thereby they are recruiting very high numbers, probably up to 2,000, judging by vacancy numbers. This is a very good time to apply.

Quick Reply

Latest