The Student Room Group

Does this count as 'disciplinary proceedings'?

I had an investigation meeting at a retail job at a fairly large chain for selling alcohol I shouldn't have to a drunk person. (very serious and illegal but didnt end up on my record because he was fine in the end, after sleeping in the store's toilets). I worked there part time for a few months, and I am searching for professional roles as I have graduated.After the investigation meeting, I was told I would have a disciplinary meeting. I resigned before the disciplinary meeting happened and it didn't continue.Now that I am applying to graduate jobs, do I answer yes or no to 'Have you previously been subject to disciplinary proceedings?'I have also left this job off my CV but I am paranoid they will find somehow find out I worked there and what happened.- I answered 'no' in whether ive been subject to a disciplinary meeting because it didnt happen.- Will an employer find out this has happened? I am especially interested in working for the Civil Service and I think they might have a higher standard and somehow find out- Is there a database someone can see to see I worked in retail or what i did? espeically as i worked in a large chain.- Do I have to answer yes if they ask if i have had an investigation against me?- does it make a difference im applying to civil service roles and I dont mention this job or what happened at all?- after how many years does this become completely irrelevant?*basically can anyone find out?*im completely petrified.
Reply 1
I would be completely honest as I have seen a lot of comments about people not getting jobs because of being dishonest and not for the actual act itself…although that is a discipline, it’s a tough one as I’m sure you never did it on purpose. You were young and people make mistakes. It’s not like you stole anything or assaulted/abused staff or anything like that.
Good luck with it though and try not to worry.
Reply 2
How will they find out?
Also how is it a disciplinary process when the disciplinary meeting never happened?
Reply 3
They ask your old employers over 5 years. If you leave a gap they will want to know why. They also can look at different systems that can tell them who you have received pay from so again as I said before, if you lie you will get found out and that will be the end of it completely.
You could answer it and put comments about saying you aren’t sure about this one as this is what happened and as far as you are aware it won’t be recorded as a disciplinary but you wanted to be up front about what has gone one rather than mis lead them. That would go a long way to them having trust in you rather than finding out that you aren’t being honest
Reply 4
What systems can tell them who I have received pay from?
Original post by ummmm12312
How will they find out?
Also how is it a disciplinary process when the disciplinary meeting never happened?

It's a process whether the ultimate meeting occurred or not - as the meeting only would have even been scheduled once the process had been initiated.

What systems can tell them who I have received pay from?

Presumably HMRC data although they won't have access to that without your consent so not sure where the previous poster thinks the new employer is going to get that information from.

Then again, once you do start you'll need to provide your P45 to the new employer so they can make sure you are being taxed correctly and that should have the employer details on it, and they might eventually put two and two together that you left a gap in your CV which you explained one way but then give them a P45 which indicates something else?

I suppose you can just not give them a P45 and then take the inevitable tax hit when you either get overtaxed and have to wait for a credit to come back at the end of the tax year, or get undertaxed and get a letter from HMRC telling you that you need to pay them money.
I had an investigation meeting at a retail job at a fairly large chain for selling alcohol I shouldn't have to a drunk person. (very serious and illegal but didnt end up on my record because he was fine in the end, after sleeping in the store's toilets). I worked there part time for a few months, and I am searching for professional roles as I have graduated.After the investigation meeting, I was told I would have a disciplinary meeting. I resigned before the disciplinary meeting happened and it didn't continue.Now that I am applying to graduate jobs, do I answer yes or no to 'Have you previously been subject to disciplinary proceedings?'I have also left this job off my CV but I am paranoid they will find somehow find out I worked there and what happened.- I answered 'no' in whether ive been subject to a disciplinary meeting because it didnt happen.- Will an employer find out this has happened? I am especially interested in working for the Civil Service and I think they might have a higher standard and somehow find out- Is there a database someone can see to see I worked in retail or what i did? espeically as i worked in a large chain.- Do I have to answer yes if they ask if i have had an investigation against me?- does it make a difference im applying to civil service roles and I dont mention this job or what happened at all?- after how many years does this become completely irrelevant?*basically can anyone find out?*im completely petrified.

You are worried about the wrong thing. Lying on an application form to the Civil Service is way more serious than selling alcohol to someone who is drunk. The Civil Service isn't recruiting you for your bar keeping skills, they are recruiting you in the hope and expectation you are honest.

If you are asked again, then consider very carefully why the employer is asking and which is more important, poor judgement in a low level retail role, or lying to a potential employer.

Chances are they won't find out, but you don't see to be a very good liar, so it's probably easier to work out a sensible story about pressure and a moment of under-confidence in calling out the drunk and be honest in applications.
Reply 7
You can honestly answer that you have not been subject to disciplinary proceedings. I don’t think you need to leave the job off your cv either, although if it was short term and part time you could reasonably do so. I don’t put the part time job I did in the SU bar on my CV
Reply 8
Original post by Choward123
That’s exactly what I was trying to get across but clearly not taken in. Perhaps the wrong job for some people who want to argue the toss on everything 🤷*♀️

very kind of you x
Reply 9

So sorry this happened to you what an awful experience for you and a bit heavy handed imo to put you through all that over a simple mistake by a young person with little work experience. You could just apply for Civil Service roles and see what happens. You are telling the truth when you say you didn't actually have a disciplinary hearing. Other alternative is to get another job maybe temporary something like that and then apply a bit later for Civil Service roles. That way your P45 will have someone else listed on it.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending