The Student Room Group

Confused about new linear A Level AQA Spec?

Hi people of student room,

Could someone please explain to me that if I am doing the 'A Level' Biology course starting September of this year, am I doing the AS papers as well as the A Level Papers for the new linear Biology spec all at the end of two years? Or am I just doing the 3 A Level papers which are 2 hours long each?

Thanx

Scroll to see replies

For my Physics A-Leve I do 3x2 Hour papers, and this is for the AQA exam board, so I would imagine that AQA Biology would be doing the exact same
Reply 2
Original post by AGalletly
For my Physics A-Leve I do 3x2 Hour papers, and this is for the AQA exam board, so I would imagine that AQA Biology would be doing the exact same

Thanks for that, are you doing the new 'a level' may i ask?
Reply 3
Many schools will make all students take the AS exmas to see how much progress they have made. Students who carry on to do the whole A Level have to take all the exams at the end of the two years - the AS exams that they may have taken at the end of the first year don't count, are are effectively for nothing other than a progress check.
Original post by devilrhino
Thanks for that, are you doing the new 'a level' may i ask?

No worries, and yes I am
Original post by Pangol
Many schools will make all students take the AS exmas to see how much progress they have made. Students who carry on to do the whole A Level have to take all the exams at the end of the two years - the AS exams that they may have taken at the end of the first year don't count, are are effectively for nothing other than a progress check.

Out of curiosity...since these new A levels are taken in the summer of 2017, what happens if a student didn't do well in some exams and needed to resit some? As they are now fully linear, would they have to resit the whole thing as in resit every single unit again (even the ones they did well in) or could they re-sit certain modules in the summer of 2018?
Original post by Cherry82
Out of curiosity...since these new A levels are taken in the summer of 2017, what happens if a student didn't do well in some exams and needed to resit some? As they are now fully linear, would they have to resit the whole thing as in resit every single unit again (even the ones they did well in) or could they re-sit certain modules in the summer of 2018?

A levels will no longer be modular. You would have to retake all of the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
A levels will no longer be modular. You would have to retake all of the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't this a bit harsh? Dang.
I read articles and pages online that said this earlier but I did not believe it. I guess it seems to be legit.
Original post by devilrhino
Hi people of student room, could someone please explain to me that if I am doing the 'A Level' Biology course starting September of this year, am I doing the AS papers as well as the A Level Papers for the new linear Biology spec all at the end of two years? Or am I just doing the 3 A Level papers which are 2 hours long each?Thanks
Just A Level in May/June 2017 whoo! I wouldn't start doing papers yet though. If the AS paper is very similar to the A Level then it might be worth doing the exemplars but if they are totally different like my new English and History then you might as well burn them under the witch.
Original post by Pangol
That's just unsustainable. Three years of work in two.
Reply 10
Original post by 04MR17
That's just unsustainable. Three years of work in two.

I'm not sure what you mean here. An A Level course is a two year course. The entire course will now be examined at the end rather than throughout (with the AS exams basically being a glorified mock exam for full A Level students), but it is still a two year course. Harsh, perhaps, but I don't see how it is three years of work.

It does appear that the only retake option will be to wait a year and then retake all of the exams. I can't see anything that suggests that you can only retake some of the papers. It does seem that any coursework marks can be carried over.
Original post by Pangol
I'm not sure what you mean here. An A Level course is a two year course. The entire course will now be examined at the end rather than throughout (with the AS exams basically being a glorified mock exam for full A Level students), but it is still a two year course. Harsh, perhaps, but I don't see how it is three years of work.
It does appear that the only retake option will be to wait a year and then retake all of the exams. I can't see anything that suggests that you can only retake some of the papers. It does seem that any coursework marks can be carried over.
The AS course is different though! Different content and different exam structures! If you were to sit the AS exams you would need to do the AS course (a one year course) if you're doing the A Level you would then need to complete that two-year course afterwards (in one year).
Reply 12
I wonder which particular course you are thinking of? All of the new A Levels that I'm aware of have identical content in "Year 1" (if you're doing the full two year A Level) and the AS. The exam boards have deliberately planned it this way.
Original post by 04MR17
The AS course is different though! Different content and different exam structures! If you were to sit the AS exams you would need to do the AS course (a one year course) if you're doing the A Level you would then need to complete that two-year course afterwards (in one year).

The content for AS and the first year of A level has been designed to be the same and the AS and first year of A level are, in the jargon used, 'co-teachable'.
(edited 8 years ago)
@Compost Rubbish! A2 doesn't exist anymore and whilst the essential content is the same, the wider knowledge for most subject are targeted in different directions as far as answering the questions is concerned.
Original post by 04MR17
@Compost Rubbish! A2 doesn't exist anymore and whilst the essential content is the same, the wider knowledge for most subject are targeted in different directions as far as answering the questions is concerned.

Rubbish. The content of every reformed science AS level I've looked at is identical with the content scheduled to be taught in the first year of a full A level. At least one school in my area is allowing candidates to take AS exams before deciding which subjects to take through to full A level. Every school has determined its own strategy in response to the reforms and it is not sensible to generalise. Cambridge university is still encouraging potential candidates to take AS exams in at least 3 subjects reformed or not!
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/qualification-reform

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
Rubbish. The content of every reformed science AS level I've looked at is identical with the content scheduled to be taught in the first year of a full A level. At least one school in my area is allowing candidates to take AS exams before deciding which subjects to take through to full A level. Every school has determined its own strategy in response to the reforms and it is not sensible to generalise. Cambridge university is still encouraging potential candidates to take AS exams in at least 3 subjects reformed or not!
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/qualification-reform
Well that's just stupid. The history ASs are completely different to the A Level. And the English Lit is just unrecognisable!
Original post by 04MR17

A2 was a slip of typing, the rest I hold by entirely. We, along with every other school I'm aware of, are not differentiating between Y12s who think they will be stopping a subject at AS, those who have no idea and those who are sure they'll be continuing a subject to A level. They're all in the same classes being taught the same stuff. We couldn't afford to do anything else - apart from deny them the chance of taking anything at AS at all.
Reply 18
Original post by 04MR17
Well that's just stupid. The history ASs are completely different to the A Level. And the English Lit is just unrecognisable!

Which exam board are you taking? I've just looked at the AQA History specification, and, as expected, it says "Content for the AS and the first year of the A-level is identical."

I'm not aware of any of the new A Levels where this is not the case.
Original post by Pangol
Which exam board are you taking? I've just looked at the AQA History specification, and, as expected, it says "Content for the AS and the first year of the A-level is identical."
I'm not aware of any of the new A Levels where this is not the case.
OCR History, AQA English Lit B.

Quick Reply

Latest