The Student Room Group

Study : White people believes that they face greater hardship

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it's that black and white, but I understand the mind set.
When asked for my race on a form for a job, I can be fairly sure that they are looking for racial minorities so they can go "look! We're not racist!" You hear about allowances for non-white people in particular jobs and we have all heard the term "diversity quota." Being part of the white majority means that you are less valuable when it comes to race, since they are perceived to have more power. Rightly or wrongly this has resulted in policies which give advantages to other skin colours.

Ideally skin colour wouldn't matter, we would live in a society where if someone screws up in life we can rightfully say it's that persons fault. But people from poorer backgrounds, who tend to be disproportionately nonwhite (East Asians excepted) will get the quotas, since it's easier to classify people by race than class.
Original post by queen-bee
And errrm what about Australia and America?

Uhh..What about Australia and America?

You won't face the same hardships in your lifetime as people of colour/ethnic minorities face.

How can you be so certain? Hardships don't just depend upon race therefore you cannot presume that every single person of colour/from an ethnic minority background will automatically go through more difficulties just because they aren't white.

Original post by cranbrook_aspie
No, I don't. Nor do you, or the people in the study:h:

Except he wasn't trying to, whereas you on the other hand made the following comment:

Original post by cranbrook_aspie
I am as white as you get without being albino, and I can confirm that this is a load of bull****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anon_98

How can you be so certain? Hardships don't just depend upon race therefore you cannot presume that every single person of colour/from an ethnic minority background will automatically go through more difficulties just because they aren't white.

Except he wasn't trying to, whereas you on the other hand made the following comment:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edited to make what I meant clearer.
Original post by Anon_98

Posted from TSR Mobile

These countries weren't white to begin with,that's my point. He was talking about whites being invaded(their lands)

There are other factors too of course but as a white person are you subject to being racially profiled and discriminated against? I doubt it
Reply 24
He's right. You won't face the same hardships in your lifetime as people of colour/ethnic minorities face. It's called white priveledge

What about the hardships of being poor, depressed, ill, physically unattractive, and so on?

White people suffer from these just as much, and men sometimes more (for example, men are 3 times more likely to commit suicide than women). It's probably not a good idea to call someone privileged based on the colour of their skin, when you don't know anything about them.
Reply 25
Original post by UniteAgainstMarx
Maybe because White people are robbed of their homeland and a future?

Hmm some privilege Whites enjoy

Africa for Africans
Middle East for Arabs
Asia for Asians

Anti-racist ***** you did this to us, and we'll spill your blood to make you pay for your crimes against the White race

You must support

Americans for native Americans
Australia for aborigines

How do you want the whites, blacks, hispanics and Asians to be expelled from America and Australia?
Reply 26
Original post by #Ridwan
Stanford's Graduate School of Business ought to be researching stuff actually relevant to business, not some sixth form gender studies conspiracy theory.

Classic attack the messenger because you can't argue with the message.
Reply 27
Original post by Kerch
What about the hardships of being poor, depressed, ill, physically unattractive, and so on?

White people suffer from these just as much, and men sometimes more (for example, men are 3 times more likely to commit suicide than women). It's probably not a good idea to call someone privileged based on the colour of their skin, when you don't know anything about them.

My heart bleeds.
Original post by earthworm
No non white control group: what this 'study' shows is that people like to disagree when they are told that they have an easy life. Doubtless they would get the same result if they asked any other racial, socioeconomic or geographical group.

Anyone want to buy some old rope its very strong.

Spot on. Clearly this 'study' was designed with a singular outcome in mind. Poor science.
Original post by HucktheForde
In a study published in the November issue of Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, L. Taylor Phillips and Brian S. Lowery point out that progress on racial equality is limited by the fact that many whites deny the existence of inequities.

A large part of the racial privilege idea is based on the mistaken belief that because the privileged members of a society are well off, anyone who shares that skin colour must also be well off. So it makes sense that white people being accused of benefits from a privilege they don't have access to can be annoying. In the same way it would be frustrating and insulting for a black person to be accused of being a criminal because they share a skin colour with other criminals.

He's right. You won't face the same hardships in your lifetime as people of colour/ethnic minorities face. It's called white priveledge

No, Racial privilege is based on the idea that members of a particular race are less likely to suffer hardships compared to other races. This does not mean that individuals of that race cannot suffer the same hardships as members of other races.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
A large part of the racial privilege idea is based on the mistaken belief that because the privileged members of a society are well off, anyone who shares that skin colour must also be well off. So it makes sense that white people being accused of benefits from a privilege they don't have access to can be annoying. In the same way it would be frustrating and insulting for a black person to be accused of being a criminal because they share a skin colour with other criminals.

No, Racial privilege is based on the idea that members of a particular race are less likely to suffer hardships compared to other races. This does not mean that individuals of that race cannot suffer the same hardships as members of other races.

It's also about manufacturing dependency. The Democrats in the US have been presiding over 'black communities' for decades...what has changed? Nothing. Why? They don't want it to change. Poor people vote for the Democrats, why would they want to give that up?

The Democrats hate nothing more than a self-made black Republican. Check out Ben Carson for the type of vitriol 'liberals' send the way of black men in The USA.
Nearly all the homeless in this country seem to be English. I have yet to come across a black person who wasn't in some way physically, socially or professional domineering. The game has changed, ethnic minorities are not the victims they were in this country 20/30/40 years ago.
I don't think half of you people understand what white privilege actually is?? It doesn't set out to demonise white people. It means that you have ACCESS to a certain social power based on being a member of a particular dominant social group. There's all kinds of privilege. If going to university was always an expectation of you and not something that you didn't think you'd be able to do, guess what? That's class privilege. If you don't have to worry about getting from A to B without the help of a wheelchair, you've got able bodied privilege. There's a reason that being WHITE and MALE and MIDDLE CLASS is like the poster child for privilege - because you have had it your whole lives and you haven't even realised. When you DO finally realise, maybe you could stop defending it and put it to good use in attempting to make things better. It's not like every person of colour or queer person or female is a victim, or views themselves as such. And it's not like every white person is guilty of something. It's not an individual scale, you know? Your personal experience doesn't actually mean very much. It's what's happened throughout history, on a global/national scale. Who were the colonisers and who were the colonised? Who were the oppressors and who were the oppressed? Who runs ****? Who dominates?

Funny how you've used this term hundreds of times on TSR yet can't seem to spell it right.

I'm pretty sure you're extremely privileged too.

Come from a hard working, rich family; live in a relatively weatlhy area of London (?), went to a fantastic school, go to a decent university.... see that's privilege.
Original post by BruceJender
Funny how you've used this term hundreds of times on TSR yet can't seem to spell it right.

I'm pretty sure you're extremely privileged too.

Come from a hard working, rich family; live in a relatively weatlhy area of London (?), went to a fantastic school, go to a decent university.... see that's privilege.

Phone error.

You can't help what you're born into plus my father was a privileged* white man :h:
Worked hard to get into a good uni,being half Arab and all that,I've been subject to discrimination. This is why I want to help/work with ethnic minority youth.
(edited 8 years ago)
Phone error.

You can't help what you're born into plus my face was a privileged* white man :h:

"Phone error". You know it takes one to accept his/her own error...

"my face was a privileged* white man". Come again?

Edit: Oh jolly good!

Your syntax is horrible I'm afraid to say.
(edited 8 years ago)
Anyway y'all, here's some Monday morning motivation. If you have the right connections and money and of course your white privilege,anything is possible. Use it to make a difference instead of trying to complain. Other people don't get to have it the easy way.
Original post by BruceJender
"Phone error". You know it takes one to accept his/her own error...

"my father was a privileged* white man". Come again?

Edit: Oh jolly good!

Your syntax is horrible I'm afraid to say.

Cleared it up for you in your own post :h:
Anyway y'all, here's some Monday morning motivation. If you have the right connections and money and of course your white privilege,anything is possible. Use it to make a difference instead of trying to complain. Other people don't get to have it the easy way.

Do you find solace in victimising yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending