The Student Room Group

Best AS/A-levels for doing maths?

I have to pick my A levels by the end of the month and I'm really panicking about it :frown:

I'd really like to do a maths degree (considering Oxbridge!) but I'm not sure which subjects would give me the best possible chance - I know that I'm going to do Maths, Further Maths and Physics because that's what's recommended but I still have one more A level and another subject to take to AS level to decide on.

What would you recommend? Chemistry? Economics? Something unrelated to show breadth?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 11ahf
I have to pick my A levels by the end of the month and I'm really panicking about it :frown:

I'd really like to do a maths degree (considering Oxbridge!) but I'm not sure which subjects would give me the best possible chance - I know that I'm going to do Maths, Further Maths and Physics because that's what's recommended but I still have one more A level and another subject to take to AS level to decide on.

What would you recommend? Chemistry? Economics? Something unrelated to show breadth?

Additional Further Maths

Or you could, y'know - stick with three A-Levels and then spend the time gained from not doing more A-Levels to study some proper maths and not the pansy A-Level stuff. Either do STEP papers or have a look at some advanced maths stuff like group theory, topology, etc...
(edited 8 years ago)
Economics
Common : chemistry/economics
Unusual but good : Music
Hardcore : additional further maths (do all 18 edexcel modules)
Original post by 11ahf

It seems like you've got the 3 most important ones down.

If you're good at a language it may be worth taking that to AS level.

I did Maths/Further Maths/Physics/ Chemistry and quite enjoyed the Maths in Chemistry, though there wasn't a huge amount in it. I've started my second year of MathSci at uni and have chosen two accounting modules, and I kind of wish that I'd studied Accounting at A-level as it may've helped. But it is looked down on so I'm not sure how it would fly with the universities that you're going to apply to.
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
Additional Further Maths

Or you could, y'know - stick with three A-Levels and then spend the time gained from not doing more A-Levels to study some proper maths and not the pansy A-Level stuff. Either do STEP papers or have a look at some advanced maths stuff like group theory, topology, etc...

My school don't offer that, and we have to do 4 A-Levels. :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
It seems like you've got the 3 most important ones down.

If you're good at a language it may be worth taking that to AS level.

I did Maths/Further Maths/Physics/ Chemistry and quite enjoyed the Maths in Chemistry, though there wasn't a huge amount in it. I've started my second year of MathSci at uni and have chosen two accounting modules, and I kind of wish that I'd studied Accounting at A-level as it may've helped. But it is looked down on so I'm not sure how it would fly with the universities that you're going to apply to.

Would economics be useful for that sort of thing?

For AS, I was considering taking German but I'm not particularly gifted at languages and although I think I'll do well at GCSE, it's supposedly a big step up? I'm finding it quite difficult as I'm not an all rounder and I'm not too great at any of the arts subjects, but if you take Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Economics, universities see you as boring and one sided (which I probably am, but don't want them to know that! :tongue:
Original post by 11ahf
Would economics be useful for that sort of thing?

For AS, I was considering taking German but I'm not particularly gifted at languages and although I think I'll do well at GCSE, it's supposedly a big step up? I'm finding it quite difficult as I'm not an all rounder and I'm not too great at any of the arts subjects, but if you take Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology or Economics, universities see you as boring and one sided (which I probably am, but don't want them to know that! :tongue:

Yeah, I've heard that languages are quite a step up as well.

I'm not sure how useful Economics would be for the accounting modules as they're both in the next semester. There is also a two-semester Econometrics module option (the Mathsy side of Economics) so maybe some previous study of Economics would be helpful there.

The important thing is to do things that'll interest you or you're good at, preferably both of those things.
Reply 8
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
Common : chemistry/economics
Unusual but good : Music
Hardcore : additional further maths (do all 18 edexcel modules)

I really wish I could take additional further maths :frown:

I am regretting not taking music for GCSE as it seems its really highly regarded! Although I am hoping to get my grade 8 on piano before university so maybe they can see that I do things that aren't maths and sciences (sometimes) :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by SeanFM
Yeah, I've heard that languages are quite a step up as well.

I'm not sure how useful Economics would be for the accounting modules as they're both in the next semester. There is also a two-semester Econometrics module option (the Mathsy side of Economics) so maybe some previous study of Economics would be helpful there.

The important thing is to do things that'll interest you or you're good at, preferably both of those things.

Aahh, I'm having to decide things 3/4 years away now! Would economics be more useful than chemistry in other modules?

I really love art, and was thinking about taking it for AS, but it's so much work and is supposedly regarded as 'soft' by top universities. :frown:
Original post by 11ahf
Aahh, I'm having to decide things 3/4 years away now! Would economics be more useful than chemistry in other modules?

I really love art, and was thinking about taking it for AS, but it's so much work and is supposedly regarded as 'soft' by top universities. :frown:

Ha, really, don't worry about it. With those kind of modules I imagine that no previous knowledge is assumed. I for one didn't really plan what modules I'd be doing at university as I'd never done any Analysis/Algebra etc. I would imagine that neither of those A-levels are particularly useful, at least for my course anyway. Chemistry hasn't really popped up anywhere, though a bit of Biology and a bit more of Physics are option choices in the 2nd or 3rd year of this course.

A lot of people studied Art in my 6th form and it did seem to be a lot of work, so keep that in mind.
Reply 11
Original post by SeanFM
Ha, really, don't worry about it. With those kind of modules I imagine that no previous knowledge is assumed. I for one didn't really plan what modules I'd be doing at university as I'd never done any Analysis/Algebra etc. I would imagine that neither of those A-levels are particularly useful, at least for my course anyway. Chemistry hasn't really popped up anywhere, though a bit of Biology and a bit more of Physics are option choices in the 2nd or 3rd year of this course.

A lot of people studied Art in my 6th form and it did seem to be a lot of work, so keep that in mind.

I know it's a bad reason to take things, but would chemistry be easier than biology at A level? As SO much theory in biology and areas of chemistry with a lot of maths.

I find art GCSE a lot of work yet still some demon in my head's telling me to take it for AS!
nobody has mentioned computing... that would go well with your other choices.
Reply 13
Economics is very interesting and enjoyable in my opinion and would highly recommend it, as shows that you stay up to date with current affairs in a diligent manner.
Chemistry would support your Physics choice, being an additional science, but, from what I've heard, it is challenging (not sure you'd have much of a problem though, given your current choices and your aspirations), but this could be played to your advantage for if you excel, it means that much more.
You may also want to think about a having a subject that shows you as having a good ethic on personal research and excelling in extended writing, History is a prime example of this, giving you a well rounded (having handled different essay and subject layouts with success), high-end portfolio.
As always, it is best to follow your heart/gut-feeling, I know it sounds cliché, but if you do enjoy it enough for it to be your first (almost subconscious) choice, then it will likely be the only you do better at/in.
Reply 14
Original post by the bear
nobody has mentioned computing... that would go well with your other choices.

There are few subjects I'd like to take less than computing :tongue:
I hated it throughout the whole of GCSE, and being one mark off an A* (and when I got the script back, subjected to the cruelest marking I've ever seen!) was truly just the cherry on the cake! :frown:
Reply 15
Original post by 11ahf

I'm pretty sure your fourth option will not really increase your chances that much. It's best to choose one you really like, otherwise it would just be tedious throughout the year.

I'm planning going into a Maths degree and except for Maths and FM. I'm doing Biology, but I did Geography and languages at AS.
Original post by 11ahf
There are few subjects I'd like to take less than computing :tongue:
I hated it throughout the whole of GCSE, and being one mark off an A* (and when I got the script back, subjected to the cruelest marking I've ever seen!) was truly just the cherry on the cake! :frown:

maybe you could take a programming qualification online or something.
Original post by 11ahf
I know it's a bad reason to take things, but would chemistry be easier than biology at A level? As SO much theory in biology and areas of chemistry with a lot of maths.

I find art GCSE a lot of work yet still some demon in my head's telling me to take it for AS!

There's a load of debates about which science is the most difficult. From studying Physics and Chemistry I found that Chemistry was the more difficult one. I've heard that Biology is quite difficult and requires a good memory, as A2 exams (at least for AQA) are synoptic - meaning you have to remember stuff from AS!). Yikes.
Reply 18
Original post by Hydroxis
Economics is very interesting and enjoyable in my opinion and would highly recommend it, as shows that you stay up to date with current affairs in a diligent manner.
Chemistry would support your Physics choice, being an additional science, but, from what I've heard, it is challenging (not sure you'd have much of a problem though, given your current choices and your aspirations), but this could be played to your advantage for if you excel, it means that much more.
You may also want to think about a having a subject that shows you as having a good ethic on personal research and excelling in extended writing, History is a prime example of this, giving you a well rounded (having handled different essay and subject layouts with success), high-end portfolio.
As always, it is best to follow your heart/gut-feeling, I know it sounds cliché, but if you do enjoy it enough for it to be your first (almost subconscious) choice, then it will likely be the only you do better at/in.

Would I be able to do any sort of economics course while at university? It's something I'm really interested in, but the same applies for chemistry and I only want to take one of them! :frown:

Would an EPQ show a small amount of what history would? Again, another one of my regrets, not taking it for GCSE! I'm average at writing essays but have very little interest in WWII Russia! And is Geography anywhere close to being as highly regarded as history?
Original post by 11ahf
My school don't offer that, and we have to do 4 A-Levels. :frown:

Self study? :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest