The Student Room Group

Dating with a lisp

I have a lisp, it's not a full blown slushy 's' (like a 'th' sound) but it's still a lisp. I'm doing online dating at the moment and I'm going on a date this Saturday. I have a lisp because I have verbal dyspraxia. When I was a kid my speech was unintelligible and I had years of speech therapy. The one thing that was never sorted out was my 's' sound. I'm going back to speech therapy at my own expense to correct this - it will probably take a few months to adapt to a new way of speaking. That's the average anyway, I read about 3 books a week not including reading for my course so I expect I could adapt in around a month if I just read out loud.

The problem with online dating is that the other person has no idea about this. I don't know if I should take the line of if she cares then she's not good enough for me or that I'm better off with someone else. I don't know if I should casually bring it up and mention I'm having speech therapy. It's annoying because humans are shallow and I wouldn't want it to put her off.
Then Don't online date. Get into social situations for real. Once you're confident speaking you won't care if you got a lisp, nobody will!
I think lisps are cute
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
Then Don't online date. Get into social situations for real. Once you're confident speaking you won't care if you got a lisp, nobody will!

I am still a very confident person, I don't shy away from speaking my opinion or to other people. I do get into social situations for real! Online dating has been great so far though.
Original post by Little Popcorns
I think lisps are cute

i hate it when people say that ngl:angry: (i also have a lisp :smile: )

i dont think that having a lisp will put the person off so dont worry OP:h:
Reply 5
People have facial disfigurements. Tourettes a lot of problems. Watch the undateables. They have the most beautiful personalities and find matches.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by toonervoustotalk

Haha thanks for the positivity hopefully not I guess.

Original post by Henna23x
People have facial disfigurements. Tourettes a lot of problems. Watch the undateables. They have the most beautiful personalities and find matches.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is true... maybe I should join? :tongue:
Original post by toonervoustotalk

cute
Anyone who has an issue with a lisp isn't worth your time tbh...
Original post by Henna23x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Matches with people similarly disfigured.
Reply 10
What exactly does a lisp sound like btw? You can't say s so you say th. Like "i want bithcuits"? I've never heard anyone speak with a lisp.

Anyone who's bothered about your lisp isn't worth knowing
Original post by m3m
What exactly does a lisp sound like btw? You can't say s so you say th. Like "i want bithcuits"? I've never heard anyone speak with a lisp.

Go on youtube and check - they do differ depending on the type of lisp. Some are really noticeable and can make someone really hard to understand. Others aren't as much.
Original post by m3m

Search for a Mike Tyson interview, that'll give you an idea.
Reply 13
Original post by zyzzyspirit
Search for a Mike Tyson interview, that'll give you an idea.

Oh, cool. So that's what it sounds like. It's not that much of a big deal op
If they're that shallow that they get put off by a lisp, I wouldn't recommend going out with them anyway. You could do better. (Also just mention it, decent people won't care) :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I have a lisp, it's not a full blown slushy 's' (like a 'th' sound) but it's still a lisp. I'm doing online dating at the moment and I'm going on a date this Saturday. I have a lisp because I have verbal dyspraxia. When I was a kid my speech was unintelligible and I had years of speech therapy. The one thing that was never sorted out was my 's' sound. I'm going back to speech therapy at my own expense to correct this - it will probably take a few months to adapt to a new way of speaking. That's the average anyway, I read about 3 books a week not including reading for my course so I expect I could adapt in around a month if I just read out loud.

The problem with online dating is that the other person has no idea about this. I don't know if I should take the line of if she cares then she's not good enough for me or that I'm better off with someone else. I don't know if I should casually bring it up and mention I'm having speech therapy. It's annoying because humans are shallow and I wouldn't want it to put her off.
I have a lisp too, and a stammer.

It usually isn't until I've mentioned the lisp that it's really noticed.

Just don't think about it too much, that way it can't knock your confidence, which it obviously is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending