The Student Room Group

I speak out the side of my mouth

Never noticed it until I had to record myself speaking, but in on camera at least my teeth look insanely big and I speak out the bottom/side of my mouth. Like a lot.

My jaw looks uneven and my teeth look really wonky even though I've had braces. But when I say literally any word my mouth just looks really deformed. And I'm not imagining it before anyone says that. Maybe it looks worse on camera than irl but now I have another thing to be self conscious of.

Can braces make your entire face uneven or something? Idk how to fix it apart from surgery I just hate myself LOL
Original post by fudgeyx
Never noticed it until I had to record myself speaking, but in on camera at least my teeth look insanely big and I speak out the bottom/side of my mouth. Like a lot.

My jaw looks uneven and my teeth look really wonky even though I've had braces. But when I say literally any word my mouth just looks really deformed. And I'm not imagining it before anyone says that. Maybe it looks worse on camera than irl but now I have another thing to be self conscious of.

Can braces make your entire face uneven or something? Idk how to fix it apart from surgery I just hate myself LOL

It could be a dental or jaw issue, but it could simply be how you've learned to speak over the years. Just like people who speak with a lisp, it's simply how they've developed their speech and sometimes can be influenced by the way their mouth is formed. So it might be possible to try and learn to correct it with time by learning how it feels to speak in the way you want to speak, whilst looking in the mirror. If you feel you can't physically change how you speak, then maybe mentioning it to your dentist would be a good idea. They can offer advice or possible treatment options for things like this.

Ultimately though, learning to love every part of yourself is something to work on and takes time.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by fudgeyx

You're not alone! I don't know how it took me so long (I'm 32) but I just realized I do this when I had to record myself on video. I think I do it more when I'm nervous but I just asked my partner and he said he's noticed it since the first time we met LOL. I've also been told that I have jaw issues and was recommended surgery but I haven't gone through with it because there's not a ton of pain/discomfort.. so it could be a misalignment thing- but as the other person posted, it could just be out of habit.

I totally get what you're saying but don't hate yourself!!! I'm going to try and do more recording myself to see if it's something I can fix just by being more mindful but if not- I've gotten this far in life with my lopsided lips so I think we'll both be okay 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest