The Student Room Group

English Coursework - Can I get an A*?

Hi Everyone!

For all the speaking coursework activities I have got an A, but in all of the writing coursework I have got A*s except from one which I have got an A in (but am working on to get it to A*). I'm unsure as to which coursework is for English Language or Literature. I am following AQA and in English Language, coursework is worth 40% overall (20% speaking, 20% writing), and English Literature coursework is worth 20%.

What I'd like to know is: Is it still possible for me to get an A* overall in both English Language and Literature, and how well would I have to do in the exams to get A*'s (if it's possible).

I would also appreciate it if someone could explain why there are 3 English exams, and what each exam is on?

Thanks!
Reply 1
I don't know about the coursework weightings because i'm not very good with maths liike that :s lol

But it sounds like your doing AQA B is this correct?

If so the 3 exams are:

Language Paper 1 - 1 Question on the Media texts from Section A of the pre-release booklet, 1 Question on an unseen Non-fiction piece and 1 question on writing to Argue, persuade and advise.

Language Paper 2 - 1 Poetry compasison question, one of the poems will be taken from section B of the pre-release and the other will be unseen and 1 question on writing to Analyse, Review and Comment.

Literature Paper - 1 Question for each text you studied fo the exam. You will have to answer 3 questions in total. For each text there will be a choice of 2 questions.

Hope that makes sence!
My speaking courseworks were A B C and my written were A* A* A B/C but I still got As overall for both, so if all your courseworks are A*s and As, A*s should definitely be possible. English GCSEs have high grade boundaries though, so try and get A*s in the exams, even though you might get away with As. It depends on the marks though- if all your As and A*s in coursework are low, you'd probably need A*s in the exams, but if they're high, As might be enough.
Reply 3
Thanks for the help so far!

I'm not sure if I'm doing AQA 'B', but, the exam components are 3702 and 3712?

It would be great if someone could make a calculator-thing which would tell you what you have to get in coursework and the exam to get an overall grade, based on typical grade boundaries. Is there a website that has this, or can someone make one in Excel...?

I just find the English coursework confusing as there are 2 subjects and there are loads of pieces to do!
Reply 4
Right - here's the drill.

Each coursework is marked out of /54.

49+/54 = an A*
43+/54 = an A

What they do at the end of the coursework, is add all your marks together.

i.e If you were to do 4 English Lang Courseworks - the final mark of English Lang Coursework would be out of 216. And so if you got say:

45/54
49/54
44/54
50/54

then you would get 188/216

They then get this into a percentage (87%) - and this will be the amount of marks you scored out of the 40% of coursework.

So it doesn't particually matter whether you're one under an A* or one over it.

Because at the end of the exam - it's just one mark - not an A*.

The coursework you do will go to the exam grade.
i mainly got B's in my coursework, my only A* was in speaking - romeo and juliet and i ended up with an A for lang and A* for lit so you are definently on the right track for A*'s. the exams i had were one exam on the novel for lit, one poetry exam for lit, one poetry exam for lang and writing to describe /explain for lit and writing to persuade for lang and one analysis of media/ comprehension. yeah so 3 each. :smile: its a mess but i hope it helps
Reply 6
You can definitely still get an A*! I got A*s for four of my five pieces (media, original writing, classic novel and, for Lit only, modern drama) but a B for the Shakespeare as we had to do it orally, rather than as an essay. For the speaking coursework, I don't know what I got, maybe an A or B as I hated doing that. I still ended up getting high A*s for both Lit and Lang though. So you already appear to be better off, you just need to concentrate on the exams now.
Hello! I am enquiring about the grade I can get in English Literature. I got an A* for my English Lit. Coursework and I am convinced I have got an A on the exam (I haven't got an A* as I did not have enough time to attempt the last question on poetry analysis which is worth 10 marks) I am doing the WJEC course and if my beliefs of my exam grade are accurate then is it still possible for me to obtain an A* grade overall or not?? Please tell me!!!!:p: :smile: Lots of love from Turkish Delight! Xx
:PTurkish Delight:P
Hello! I am enquiring about the grade I can get in English Literature. I got an A* for my English Lit. Coursework and I am convinced I have got an A on the exam (I haven't got an A* as I did not have enough time to attempt the last question on poetry analysis which is worth 10 marks) I am doing the WJEC course and if my beliefs of my exam grade are accurate then is it still possible for me to obtain an A* grade overall or not?? Please tell me!!!!:p: :smile: Lots of love from Turkish Delight! Xx

Depends how high your A* in coursework is and how high your A in the exam is because it all comes down to marks rather than grades. As far as I know, it's 70% exam and 30% coursework for lit, so you'd need a high A* in coursework and a high A in the exam to get an A* overall, but I think it could be done.
Reply 9
I got high a's on all my coursework and full marks on my speaking can I still get a a* overall
Original post by kellywood_5
Depends how high your A* in coursework is and how high your A in the exam is because it all comes down to marks rather than grades. As far as I know, it's 70% exam and 30% coursework for lit, so you'd need a high A* in coursework and a high A in the exam to get an A* overall, but I think it could be done.

From what I know the weighting is 80% and 20%

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending