The Student Room Group

A2 Beliefs. cults, sects, denominations

Can anybody help me with information for these three things?? I need to know the similarities and differences between them and I cant find it anywhere! Also does anybody have a really good example of a sect?
(edited 8 years ago)
Ayyyy I've actually just finished this section of the spec :biggrin:

Cult - Deviant. Low level of commitment needed, Stark and Bainbridge said there are 3 types - audience cult (no direct contact, usually subscribing to emails etc), client cult (buying services like acupuncture) and cultic movement (i.e. scientology) Accepting of wider society, doesn't claim a monopoly of truth, open to all.
Sect - Deviant. Rejects wider society and often cuts itself away from it. Usually short lived. Has one charismatic leader. Very high commitment expected. Claim monopoly of religious truth. Exclusive - you usually need to be invited or born into it. Some examples are: People's Temple, Heaven's Gate, Branch Davidians! All of these ended in the members killing themselves.
Denomination - Neibuhr developed the typology. Described as a "watered down church", doesn't claim a monopoly of truth, has a hierarchy of paid members (i.e. clergy), open to all, usually accepting of other beliefs in society, requires moderate level of commitment.

Let me know if you need anything else, or if anything's unclear :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you sooooo much!! It makes complete sense now!! :smile::smile:
Original post by miaaim
Thank you sooooo much!! It makes complete sense now!! :smile::smile:

It's no problem :smile: It took me a while to get all the definitions and sociologists drilled into my head haha

:redface: Stealing that for revision purposes
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending