Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

A2 Beliefs. cults, sects, denominations watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody help me with information for these three things?? I need to know the similarities and differences between them and I cant find it anywhere! Also does anybody have a really good example of a sect?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ayyyy I've actually just finished this section of the spec

Cult - Deviant. Low level of commitment needed, Stark and Bainbridge said there are 3 types - audience cult (no direct contact, usually subscribing to emails etc), client cult (buying services like acupuncture) and cultic movement (i.e. scientology) Accepting of wider society, doesn't claim a monopoly of truth, open to all.
    Sect - Deviant. Rejects wider society and often cuts itself away from it. Usually short lived. Has one charismatic leader. Very high commitment expected. Claim monopoly of religious truth. Exclusive - you usually need to be invited or born into it. Some examples are: People's Temple, Heaven's Gate, Branch Davidians! All of these ended in the members killing themselves.
    Denomination - Neibuhr developed the typology. Described as a "watered down church", doesn't claim a monopoly of truth, has a hierarchy of paid members (i.e. clergy), open to all, usually accepting of other beliefs in society, requires moderate level of commitment.

Let me know if you need anything else, or if anything's unclear

ReputationRep:
    Thank you sooooo much!! It makes complete sense now!!

ReputationRep:
    hey, this would be useful

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ious_Movements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miaaim)
    Thank you sooooo much!! It makes complete sense now!!
    It's no problem It took me a while to get all the definitions and sociologists drilled into my head haha

(Original post by cookiemunch)
    hey, this would be useful http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ious_Movements

Stealing that for revision purposes

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 4, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.