The Student Room Group

My dad is Jewish. My mom isn't

Happy hanukkah!
So my mom is Chinese and my dad is Russian (jewish)
And based on Jewish law, it could only be passed on from the mother?
Am I still Jewish?
I'm not like- extremely religious but I celebrate Hanukkah
While I'm no expert on Judaism myself, I'd imagine it depends on what denomination you align yourself to. I'm quite confident that a reform jew would classify you as Jewish but one who's ultra orthodox might not. Ultimately if you consider yourself Jewish then call yourself that - nobody has the right to strip your faith from you.
In Jewish law - no. Your Mum must be Jewish for you to be considered Jew.
(edited 1 year ago)
It depends on the sect and definition of jewish.
Is your father practicing judaism and if so what type & sect?
Did your parents marry in a religious premises or within Israel?
Are you male or female?

Orthodox rabbinical judaism & conservative halacha based judaism will usually only recognise someone who is non-practicing as jewish if they have a jewish maternal grandmother.
Karaites and some non-practicing jews will recognise based on patrilineal ancestry or self-affiliation accompanied by some personal observance compatible with their own favourite traditions.
Reply 4
Original post by uggbootswithbows
Happy hanukkah!
So my mom is Chinese and my dad is Russian (jewish)
And based on Jewish law, it could only be passed on from the mother?
Am I still Jewish?
I'm not like- extremely religious but I celebrate Hanukkah
In Judaism culture, (I'm Jewish I would know) it depends on what your dad is. Because you have his stronger blood. So if your dad's Jewish then you would be. Read the Torah and find out. But that's what happens with a lot of Jewish families, they'll choose whatever the dad is because in Jewish culture, the dad has the strongest bloodline.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending